Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The foster bit off one inch of the tip of Jack's left ear. Not sure what set her off. He was walking past her as she was chewing up a toy. This was the first time she reacted to Jack's walking by. Jack is a real trooper. Ran to the door when I got my coat on and then ran to the van to go to the ER vet. We have not found the tip of the ear. There is now a second ER practice in town and we went there. Jack is now home and doing OK.

Foster is going back to the kennel Wednesday. This was not what I was hoping for. I am bummed our for the both of them.
LD

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
That is really sad for Jack. Poor guy. But you took care of him.

Who knows, maybe that is a reason the dog needs a home. Maybe it is possession aggressive.

My son's Lab is best described as a Gentle Giant, and HK's best bud. BUT... the day we brought HK home for the first time, and Newman came over to meet her. HK spent the night at the e-vet and we thought we were going to lose her. She got too close to Newman when he had a rawhide bone. It was fast with no warning other than we should have been smarter in the first place. They are now fed next to each other when they are together at feed time, they respect each others bowl while eating, and then each allows the other to inspect the other bowl to make sure nothing was missed.

·
Registered
11,989 Posts
Oh, man. Poor Jack and poor you!

She sounds like she should be an only dog in a household if she is going to go off like that without provocation. I hope the rescue group can put some intensive work into her.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
OH NO! :( I am so sorry this happened! "No Good Deed" etc. is one of my mom's favorite expressions.

This is what I would worry about with a foster and my two, but I'd worry they would beat up on a foster. The one I rescued last year, and also Jules, went to stay with my mom for this reason.

You were trying to do something good, and it didn't work out, but your heart was definitely in the right place. Again, so sorry, for you, the dog, especially for Jack. I hope his ear will be OK. Goodness, I know they bleed like there's no tomorrow with an ear injury.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope Jack is feeling better in no time. You tried, and that is admirable!

·
Registered
456 Posts
wow.. this is so sad. Poor Boy, hope he heals up quick.

My yellow lab once bit a peice of prince's ear. he got too close to her while eating. She just recently bit apple today just because apple was sitting close to her bone.
It's really hard when you have a dog like this. The only way to curb this is if there are no bones, food or sometimes even toys out to play with. its toughh!!!

Hope missy finds a good home with her being the only dog!!

And as for Jack, i hope he's past the pain stage:( hang in there bud!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.