Just Labradors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For years now we have had sand wasps burrowing in our driveway. The first year I sprayed them with wasp spray but then read that they are very beneficial (eating insects) and are not aggressive.

I can't get over how many there are flying around this year...and it is amazing...and you just walk right through them and they move away. But as I was filming a tussle broke out and I began to rethink if these critters really are that peaceful.

Would you call an exterminator?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnKzceL4xZQ&feature=channel_page

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
If they don't bother you or Gutherie, I say let them be. Now if they attacked YOU or GUTHERIE I'd get them out of there.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
They'd freak me out a bit, but then I am not a huge fan of bees (or spiders or bettles, etc.).

If they are not bothering you or Guthrie or getting aggressive with you, then I'd be inclined to leave them be.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
They'd be gone from my place, but I have three young children (not to mention the fact I'm terrified of bees/wasps/hornets) and I wouldn't risk a sting or multiples.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
My motto is "if they are out side, and leave me alone, I leave them alone."
Inside my house is another story.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I decided to just trim the population a tad. We have had them on the drive for about 10 years but this year is was just too much. I hated to do it because I know they eat lots of bugs but there were hundreds of them zooming around. I sprayed a small portion with Raid and things are much calmer. I just could not risk Guthrie getting stung.

·
Registered
349 Posts
We have a strict rule about killing anything around our house. Killing another being is bad karma and all. But there are exceptions and my pacifist tendencies end where danger to my family begins. Spiders, Lizards, Bees, anything is welcome in my yard until they show they can't behave, then it's time for them to go, one way or the other.

My one exception to that rule are cockroaches. It's open season on those little bastards if I ever see one and in Florida, they're nearly impossible to avoid; especially Palmetto Bugs. If you don't know what those are, picture a roach the size of your thumb that flies...

Kevin

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
I think you did the right thing with the wasps. They use to bother me until one time when I was younger. There was a nest I did not know about in the window frame of my bedroom. Anyways, I woke one morning with a whole bunch of them in the room and in my bed (some dead). Weird thing was, I did not have a single sting.

We are trying to train Dex not to snap at all the bugs. He got a bumble bee in his mouth the other day which really bothered me. He dropped it and it flew away. I worry that he could get stung in the throat.

We have had an infest of crickets in the house. Dexter takes pleasure in somehow removing their legs before eating them. ugh! I try to save as many as I can. :eek:

- Dave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts