Just Labradors banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, here is my neighbor's puppy (from a few months ago...he's much bigger now).

She wants to compete with him in obedience. We are trying to decide what we could ILP him as. I know that AKC is now accepting mixed breeds, but I thought if we could ILP him he would have more opportunities because I'm not sure all clubs will immediately embrace mixed breeds at their trials. Or maybe they will...? I just thought an ILP would give her more options.

Do you think GSD? The concern is, he has a lot of feathering around his ears, and quite a bit on his tail. His coat is also a bit longer and silkier than a GSD. What about Tervuren? Are the markings/coloring wrong for that? I know one Tervuren, and she has opposite coloring from this (tan with black points).

I'm wondering if we might get away with GSD because there is such a wide variance in appearance (kind of like Labs).

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
He is so cute!!! I would guess he is GSD and??? no clue. Whatever he is, he's adorable. You'll have to get more pics of him.:)

·
Registered
837 Posts
Belgian shepherd are a little hairy, he is defiantly in the shepherd family. He is a cute little guy that is for sure.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I'm a big fan of if it's a mutt, call it a mutt ;) There are plenty of venues that allow mix breeds to compete (ukc and soon akc, at stand alone events). If they get into agility, there are even more! Not to be a party pooper but if you're asking "what breed can we ILP as" you, and probably the owners, know it doesn't look purebred so they shouldn't try to register it as such.

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
Looks like a long-coated GSD to me. The fluffy ear tufts are characteristic of a "coatie". The long coats are fairly common in the German show-line dogs.
Here's a link showing a very pretty long-coated GSD
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1323201&page=1#Post1323201
I was thinking the same thing. He looks a lot like the long-coated GSD who lived down the road from us when I was a teen.

The AKC is only allowing mixed breeds to compete at stand alone events- in other worde, if it's a conformation and obedience show, they can't enter. :( Maybe they'll change that, who knows? From what I was reading yesterday, they are changing the rule that says mixed breeds can only compete in mixed breed classes. Instead, they'll be able to compete in the same class as their pure bred counterparts.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First thing that came to my mind was Terv.

Is AKC still doing ILP? I thought they had changed to PAL?
Oh yeah, you're right...it is PAL now.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I'm a huge fan of mixed breed dogs but I have to say I'm with those who say if you have a mixed breed admit it and enjoy him as he is ...

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was thinking the same thing. He looks a lot like the long-coated GSD who lived down the road from us when I was a teen.

The AKC is only allowing mixed breeds to compete at stand alone events- in other worde, if it's a conformation and obedience show, they can't enter. :( Maybe they'll change that, who knows? From what I was reading yesterday, they are changing the rule that says mixed breeds can only compete in mixed breed classes. Instead, they'll be able to compete in the same class as their pure bred counterparts.
I read that too. Trouble is, I know my club is not likely to fully embrace mixed breeds in regular classes very soon, and the decision to do so lies with the club. I am glad they've made this change, though. I think it's a step in the right direction.

I think owners of mixed breed dogs should have the opportunity to compete and earn obedience titles. Maybe it will eventually help elevate the status of the mixed breed dog and encourage people to adopt. That's my hope, anyway. :)

The way I think of it is, the AKC has the final say on whether they think your dog looks enough like a particular breed to compete with an ILP (or PAL, now). If they don't think so, they reject your application. No harm, no foul. I think if the dog looks enough like a breed that the AKC approves you, you should be able to compete. I mean, there's no way to prove that any rescue dog is a purebred. Angus looks for all the world like a Lab, but I suspect (for several reasons) that there may be a little Boxer in there.

That's just my two cents, but I can understand others points of view too. I'm coming at it as someone with rescue dogs who loves obedience and cherishes the privilege of competing with them.

My neighbor is doing such a great job with Owen - she is adorable, always practicing with him. I hear them over there all the time. :D She came over last night with a notebook and asked me to give her some pointers and some new things she could teach him, and she actually took notes. She is like a sponge, soaking up everything you tell her. She's so serious about this. I would just love to see them have a way to compete!

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
read that too. Trouble is, I know my club is not likely to fully embrace mixed breeds in regular classes very soon, and the decision to do so lies with the club. I am glad they've made this change, though. I think it's a step in the right direction.
So this is your time to gently push-shove-demand that they DO. If active members such as yourself and your neighbour show enthusiasm and desire to enter their mixed breeds, then change will happen that much faster.

"never doubt that a small group of committed individuals can change the world - indeed, it's the only thing that ever has"

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So this is your time to gently push-shove-demand that they DO. If active members such as yourself and your neighbour show enthusiasm and desire to enter their mixed breeds, then change will happen that much faster.

"never doubt that a small group of committed individuals can change the world - indeed, it's the only thing that ever has"
You are right. I need to bring this up to them. I'm going to email the club president this weekend. :D I will get my neighbor to email as well. Maybe if they hear from a few of us, they will come around!

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
It's a win-win for clubs. They will generate more money. Our club has always allowed ALL dogs, but only AKC registered dogs could compete. Now we are able to allow ALL dogs to compete. I think it's pretty good for the club.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts