Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
The killings are intended to protect endangered plants and insects that share the grassy habitat with the kangaroos.
Yea, that makes sense. Slaughter the 'roos to protect plants and insects.

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
Allowing an animal to grow to numbers that ruin the habitat is bad for all the animals living there. Whether they are insects.....or the animals that eat insects or whatever.

Decisions like these should be made by biologists and not become political......and should never be decided on the cuteness of the animal.

Would there be an outcry if they wanted to thin out the population of crocodiles or rats or snakes.......I don't think so.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Allowing an animal to grow to numbers that ruin the habitat is bad for all the animals living there. Whether they are insects.....or the animals that eat insects or whatever.

Decisions like these should be made by biologists and not become political......and should never be decided on the cuteness of the animal.

Would there be an outcry if they wanted to thin out the population of crocodiles or rats or snakes.......I don't think so.
Here, Here.

I myself am getting sick of all these bleeding heart animal rights activists who butt in where they really shouldn't be - our great Canadian Seal Hunt, culling of deer, kangaroos, etc. whatever the case may be.

There's a reason why these things are ordered! It's not just plants and animals and insects, it's an entire ECO SYSTEM being threatened, and at the end of the day, the 'roos would still die - how would they live without the plants if they die off? With no insects to pollinate new plants, or however the ecosystem works over there, it would wither and die, as would everything dependant on said ecosystem. Isn't it not fairer to shoot them (quickly, one would hope) as opposed to letting them die slowly of starvation and dehydration? Let's not forget in some cases, these plants supply not only food to animals, but water as well....

I could go on and on, but I won't. People will either get it, or they won't and that fact won't change, same as the facts won't change some people's minds/opinions/beliefs.

I'm not saying I condone full on slaughter of a species, but a controlled cull, yes, otherwise, everything will collapse on itself.

I'm just waiting for the day when those smurfers get the seal hunt banned. I'm praying I'm not around to watch the fallout that will happen when you allow one of the major predators of the seas populate out of control. Think fishing is bad now? just wait and watch. Same as Australia struggled for years for viable farming - you think those 6,000 'roos once faced with starvation won't then raid farms and outlying areas? etc...

Honestly. We all need to sit back and let the people indigenous to the area do what needs to be done, and put our hearts in a corner until it is done.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
They stopped the spring bear hunt up here a few years ago.. it was a huge tourism industry..mostly americans come up and keep some of the small town businesses going during that time.. since they put a stop to it, the businesses die and then there's the problem that every single year there's are dozens of nuissance bears in our yards, rifling through our garbage and scaring the shite out of people and pets.

Ever come face-to-face with a black bear while fetching the morning paper? Not pleasant.

Anyway.. business aside, there's a REASON to control population.. and when done right, it's effective.

Manitoulin Island is over run with deer.. so during that season a certain number of licenses are given out during a lottery.. that way they can fairly accurately control the number of deer shot so we don't go in the other direction and find ourselves w/o any.

It works great.. but deer are one thing.. people don't like the idea of killing bear, for some reason.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts

Exactly. It's the same as the idiots that protest the organized deer hunts here. Good call, let's have more deer, more cars hitting deer, more lyme disease, fewer farmers. Sounds like a plan!

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Well said all three of you, here it's prairie dogs, no rancher I know of wants the gone, but excess causes damage to harvest equipment when the towns move into crops. They also eat all the grass down in their town. Since some of these towns can runs many acres, sometimes over a 100 or more, then when one realizes that this is no longer pasture that cattle can use, one only need to know how many calf/cow units per acre or mulitples of acres that can be supported and look at the current beef market prices to get an idea how much money these guys can be out of.

Also the fact that over populations of these can cause massive out breaks of bubonic plauge, one who understands why they need controled.;)

We won't even mention the whitetail deer populations that are many times higher than when the country was settled.

(Edit, add another since I started my post.)

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
I have nothing against controlled culling of animal populations that are in need of it. Did they say what was going to happen to the meat?

Our researchers here at work wanted to kill every deer on the University grounds, to protect their research, AND let the animals lay if need be. That I did have a problem with. I will not waste an animal if I can at all help it (accidents do happen). Their research which is ecosystem based is, to me, unrealistic if they eliminate one of the major herbivores in the area. (That and I do not think it possible because we are surrounded by private land, even if we do "own" nearly 3,000 acres).

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Since I started this, not realizing what I was starting, I will add one comment and then just let you have at it.

Organized deer hunt! Hunters out for a special season to cull the herd and either consume the meat or send it to some charitable organization. I support these activities when they are used to promote the overall health of the herd, or possibly to reduce the number of deer/auto accidents when they move into metro type areas.

This struck me as a situation where these animals were simply going to be slaughtered to elimination in an area and not something done to promote the health of the 'whatever you call a collection of kangaroo'.

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
*ducks my head** If man hadn't F$Cked with the balance of nature, this wouldn't be happening now. *backing out slowly* I don't condone hunting of any kind but I do understand the necessity of it.

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
*ducks my head** If man hadn't F$Cked with the balance of nature, this wouldn't be happening now. *backing out slowly* I don't condone hunting of any kind but I do understand the necessity of it.
True. But we did. Kinda got to go from where we are, not where we should be.

Some folks say we are part of nature also......

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
True. But we did. Kinda got to go from where we are, not where we should be.

Some folks say we are part of nature also......
One must remember, just the space we build our house on is now no longer habitat for wild animals. Also farmers providing food for us modifies the enviroment. There really is only one way for folks not to modify their enviroment and that is not be here. Beyond that we can only do the best we can do.

I wish they could send me some of that kangaroo meat, I'd like to give it a try.;)

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
One must remember, just the space we build our house on is now no longer habitat for wild animals. Also farmers providing food for us modifies the enviroment. There really is only one way for folks not to modify their enviroment and that is not be here. Beyond that we can only do the best we can do.

I wish they could send me some of that kangaroo meat, I'd like to give it a try.;)
Maybe you should go down with your Quigley gun and help out. :)

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Maybe you should go down with your Quigley gun and help out. :)
Naw, the Savage 99 with the scope that works in dim light would be better since they're gonna shoot at night. That little pin-hole apeture on the verieir tang site don't do well in dim light.;)

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
Naw, the Savage 99 with the scope that works in dim light would be better since they're gonna shoot at night. That little pin-hole apeture on the verieir tang site don't do well in dim light.;)
True......I guess a night scope on your Sharps kinda ruins the historical value and would just be wrong. :)

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
I eat kangaroo about once a month. I think it's delicious :) Of course, it helps that it's usually served with leek mashed potatoes and a delicious red wine reduction sauce - but I think I would like it plain on the grill as well!

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
True......I guess a night scope on your Sharps kinda ruins the historical value and would just be wrong. :)
Yeah and the airlines won't let me take my ammo with me, even in baggage, would have to send it by ship or find some black powder over there and load it down under like Quigley. Wonder if I could find an old German gunsmith to help.:D

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
I eat kangaroo about once a month. I think it's delicious :) Of course, it helps that it's usually served with leek mashed potatoes and a delicious red wine reduction sauce - but I think I would like it plain on the grill as well!
Got a customer who's a drover in the outbackwho's wife is from here, they come back every year at Christmas. Says it's good eats.:D

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Never had Kangaroo, but dang that sounds good!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts