Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No wonder we're going bankrupt in this state. When I was in school we had a superintendant, principal, an assistant principal, and a secretary. That's it. I am happy to see that Califon boro and Lebanon Twp (where I live) in Hunterdon County still does it "old school".
:wof: :crazy:
http://millenniumradionj.com/wkxw-fm/salaries.pdf

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
That is what our districts pay. Our Superintendent gets over $140K and we graduate ~85 kids a year!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is disgusting!!!! Thankfully, this is one of Christie's top priorities as our new gov'nah.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
That is disgusting!!!! Thankfully, this is one of Christie's top priorities as our new gov'nah.
We might get a new Gov too! Of course we don't elect them anymore we just keep letting them resign and the next in charge takes over. I can't wait.. I think by next month the Albany Capitol maintenance man will be in charge and common sense will return to Albany. This, of course will depend if the maintenance man has been seeing hookers or has abused the powers of his office to get World Series tickets.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
I didn't look through the list in detail, I am sure some people on the list are overpaid. But in general I think teachers and principals are underpaid. Above the principal level, I am not sure. But $100,000 a year to be a principal of a school is not what I consider to be excessive. You are talking about managing 50 - 100+ employees, a multi-million dollar budget, being responsible for the education and safety of hundreds or thousands of children, dealing with bad kids and bad parents. A good principal is worth that and more.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's not the complaint, Mape. It's the face that there are an over abundant amount of administrators for one school, all making huge salaries.
Atlantic City, for example (because it's at the top) :
Assistant Superintendent Operations - $144,492
Assistant Superintendent Curriculum & Instruction - $144,492
Assistant Superintendent Student Services - $141,003
Assistant Superintendent Human Resources - $170,436
Not to mention the Superintendent, Chief of Security, Grounds Supervisor, etc., etc., etc......

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Is that for one school or for all the schools in the Atlantic City system?

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
I didn't look through the list in detail, I am sure some people on the list are overpaid. But in general I think teachers and principals are underpaid. Above the principal level, I am not sure. But $100,000 a year to be a principal of a school is not what I consider to be excessive. You are talking about managing 50 - 100+ employees, a multi-million dollar budget, being responsible for the education and safety of hundreds or thousands of children, dealing with bad kids and bad parents. A good principal is worth that and more.
It's not just the 150K Spt. salary..... it is the Asst. superintendent salaries plus the principal,asst. principal for each Elementary,middle and high school that add up. If you have a total enrollment of 800 kids you can't possibly justify 3/4 million in administrative salaries. Couple that with teacher salaries of 65 K and (no contribution health care),pension and a 1500 hour work year. Throw in paying out lifetime health benefits for retired teachers, it is not affordable.

Before all you educators out there jump on me, my brother and his wife are teachers in NY State, as are my sister in law,mother in law, 2 nieces and my backyard neighbors. They will be the first to admit it is not a bad way to make a living and it beats the **** out of private sector employment. Certainly all states don't pay this well but NY sure does!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Couple that with teacher salaries of 65 K and (no contribution health care)
That's one of the changes, supposedly.
Is that for one school or for all the schools in the Atlantic City system?
Not sure from that list, but there are a bunch of other ones in there that are one school.
Holy hell, look at Bergen County Vocational!!!!!

·
Registered
172 Posts
That's not the complaint, Mape. It's the face that there are an over abundant amount of administrators for one school, all making huge salaries.
Atlantic City, for example (because it's at the top) :
Assistant Superintendent Operations - $144,492
Assistant Superintendent Curriculum & Instruction - $144,492
Assistant Superintendent Student Services - $141,003
Assistant Superintendent Human Resources - $170,436
Not to mention the Superintendent, Chief of Security, Grounds Supervisor, etc., etc., etc......
Those are not "huge" salaries. Especially in an area with above average to high cost of living. I'm not familiar with New Jersey as a whole but I can't imagine Atlantic City being particularly cheap. It's a great salary for a middle class family, no doubt, but no one gets rich in the public sector.

I work in a public sector job...and there are always taxpayers that are seething with anger that we make a cent over minimum wage or have benefits at all. It's impossible to reason with some that we might actually be qualified for our jobs and we're paid accordingly.

It comes down to this. Who do you want running your school systems? Keep slashing pay and benefits to satisfy uninformed public outrage and your recruit pool will reflect it. Especially when the economy is recovered and the private sector is humming along again.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't see a need for 4 Assistant Superintendents all making over $140K. That's just ridiculous.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Amy's point is not the salary amount, though, more that it seems like there are 5 people doing 1 person's job and they're all getting paid $150k apiece to do it. If that is for a whole school system, then it might be justified, depending on the number of students.

I don't know how much our principals make but I am pretty sure it is under 100k. Most entry level teachers make less than 30k. It's a fact here that the best and brightest normally don't go into teaching, they take jobs where they can actually make a decent living wage for a family.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I don't see a need for 4 Assistant Superintendents all making over $140K. That's just ridiculous.
Well, do you know what they actually do on the job? Their job description? How much state/city budget dollars they're responsible for stewarding?

How about their individual qualifications? Maybe they were such an attractive candidate that they warrant their salary.

If you're fully informed and qualified to sit in judgment of school board operations I will, of course, defer to your expert opinion.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
Those are not "huge" salaries. Especially in an area with above average to high cost of living. I'm not familiar with New Jersey as a whole but I can't imagine Atlantic City being particularly cheap. It's a great salary for a middle class family, no doubt, but no one gets rich in the public sector.

I work in a public sector job...and there are always taxpayers that are seething with anger that we make a cent over minimum wage or have benefits at all. It's impossible to reason with some that we might actually be qualified for our jobs and we're paid accordingly.

It comes down to this. Who do you want running your school systems? Keep slashing pay and benefits to satisfy uninformed public outrage and your recruit pool will reflect it. Especially when the economy is recovered and the private sector is humming along again.
High costs of living are often dictated by the property tax burden placed on the residents. As Amy has stated it is rediculous to have that number of salaries for a single district. Especially in the public sector

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you're fully informed and qualified to sit in judgment of school board operations I will, of course, defer to your expert opinion.
Oh don't be an ass. Yes, I do know most of this info since it's a constant topic on NJ101.5 talk radio. The new Governor comes on the show constantly and talks about it. Sits in studio once a month and takes callers calls and talks about it. If you lived in NJ, maybe you'd get it.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Well, do you know what they actually do on the job? Their job description? How much state/city budget dollars they're responsible for stewarding?

How about their individual qualifications? Maybe they were such an attractive candidate that they warrant their salary.

No, she's not an expert. She's just the person paying the bills.

One of the problems with public sector jobs is that they used to be on the low end of the pay scale, but that was a trade-off for great benefits such as health care, vacations, pensions, etc. Now everybody seems to think they should get paid what the private sector makes plus all the benefits of public employment. It's not sustainable and the school system is just one of the many places that it shows.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
According to the Atlantic City School District website:

6,000 + students
600 teachers
11 schools
$165 million operating budget

·
Registered
74 Posts
Its amazing that a bunch of people who would do anything for their dogs are so judgmental about salaries in public schools. 4 asst superintendents for a school system with 12 schools and over 7000 students is anything but exorbitant. They don't all do the same tasks for heavens sake--one is a personnel person, another is finances, another curriculum, etc. The kids in that district are 81% below the poverty line, and speak 34 different languages. I would imagine they've been slashing personnel like every other large school system in the country has been doing the past few years, and making additional cuts will severely diminish the quality of education for a group of kids who need it more than most.

FYI: the median salary in AC is $54K a year--$45K for those in education. But keep insisting that educators in AC are overpaid.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK maybe AC was a bad example, but there are hundreds to choose from on that list.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.