Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't want to hijack Sam's thread.

My "household" (ha ha) is in a bit of a transition period with BF spending approx 4 nights a week there. Late this summer, he will move in officially.

I tend to let Gabby sleep out of the crate. She spends the majority of the night actually in the crate with the door open, then moves to the foot of the bed (on the floor) and then spends from 5-7 am on the couch). As long as I remember to keep the bathroom door close, there is no carnage and she's a happy camper.

However, BF doesn't see the need for her to sleep out of her crate just as I don't see the need for her to sleep in the crate. If you all could help me come up with some logical reasons for her to sleep out, that'd be great. He's a very logical, calm guy (so me resorting to "it's my dog" is no good). I want this issue settled before he moves in.

Oh- and right now- she's crated probably tops 4 hours a day (on a bad day).

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Why should you change Gabby's habits because he's moving in? Sorry I don't see a need for comprimise on this one.

·
Registered
313 Posts
We started keeping the crate door open at night during the summer so Toby could lie by the open sliding glass door. We also wanted him to have access to water at night because it was so hot. That might be a reason!

·
Registered
786 Posts
haha, your man is totally opposite of mine. My hubby wanted to get rid of crates because they were "in the way". With three dogs it was a bit much having three crates hanging around so we slowly transition out of the crates. My youngest dog(almost 2) is still in his crate during the night...I just don't trust him yet.

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
We started w/the crate; then crate door open.
She rarely stepped out of the crate during the night when the door was open.

So I simply removed the crate. Once the crate was gone, she went to the same spot where her crate used to be, and slept there. She still does the same; however, she starts at her computer bed (about 2 feet away) but always ends up where her crate used to be.

You'll be surprised, I think most dogs are creatures of habit.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dani said:
Why should you change Gabby's habits because he's moving in? Sorry I don't see a need for comprimise on this one.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I'm not looking to change her habits at all. I'm looking for a logical reason to explain to him why I want her crate free at night besides "it's my dog" and "that's the way I want it"- because those are the only ones I've come up with yet :)

·
Registered
533 Posts
i don't know how old gabby is, but 3 weeks ago i started letting my 5 1/2 month old sleep outside crate in bedroom. I've notice a DRAMATIC change in demeanor for the positive(even posted a thread about it) soon as i started letting him do that.

He seemed like a much more happy, content dog, and also did not require as much interaction in the mornings after sleeping in our room. I'd consider those positive... :)

if she does no harm while outside the crate, i'd see no reason why you would crate a dog, they've earned that right.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
I don't think you need any other logical reasons other then the ones you already have. The sooner your BF gets used to the fact that you call the shots, the better for him. ;) :p

Seriously, I would tell him because where I come from, dogs are part of the family, and share the family space, and have the freedom and respect to move about as they choose, not to live life as a caged animal.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Well how about you feeling safer? A dog in a crate can't scare away a bad guy. Long ago when my husband worked nights my dogs always slept with me because it felt safe. I know they won't really attack an intruder but the idea is there anyway.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Canula2000 said:
Well how about you feeling safer? A dog in a crate can't scare away a bad guy. Long ago when my husband worked nights my dogs always slept with me because it felt safe. I know they won't really attack an intruder but the idea is there anyway.
Perfect :)

That and the access to water one will do the trick :) You guys are the best.

·
Registered
21,293 Posts
Simple

You got your dog ( hopefully ) to be part of your family

Would you shut your sister in a crate ?

Labradors are loving dogs that need the proximity to their human - yearn to be near you not crated

If that doesn't work then I don't know what will.

BTW I'm not condemning crates as you need them for TRAINING but not BABY SITTING IMHO

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
My wife and I believe crates are used for training and to have a safe spot for our dogs when needed. If Gabby is safe and behaved outside the crate at night, then the crate has served its purpose. Explain to BF that crates are a tool for training and is used for that. It's no different than a leash. Gabby wouldn't be on a leash when you are not training her or need to keep her safe on walks. Same logic.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
blacklabelias said:
Does your BF have a logical reason why Gabby should STAY in the crate?
Kind of. When she wakes up in the middle of the night (even to shift positions), I wake up and take her outside. I am a ridiculously light sleeper. HOWEVER, this happens when she is in her crate as well- I think he is just noticing it more when she is out of her crate.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
Tater said:
samson said:
Simple

Yes I would love to crate my brother.
Someone beat me to it. ;D I know a couple of people who need to spend sometime in the crate.

T

·
0 Posts
labs4life said:
Tater said:
samson said:
Simple

Yes I would love to crate my brother.
Someone beat me to it. ;D I know a couple of people who need to spend sometime in the crate.
Sad thing is I did crate him one night. He had a little to much to drink and we put him in the crate. It was funny I have a pic somewhere. Tater was barking at him. No one and nothing is allowed in his crate. TOO FUNNY.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
Tater said:
Sad thing is I did crate him one night. He had a little to much to drink and we put him in the crate. It was funny I have a pic somewhere. Tater was barking at him. No one and nothing is allowed in his crate. TOO FUNNY.
That pic would be worth a few laughs!!!!!! ;D

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tater said:
I swear, I'm going to do that the next time mine is drunk and obnoxious :)

T

·
0 Posts
gabbys mom said:
Tater said:
I swear, I'm going to do that the next time mine is drunk and obnoxious :)
Thats why we put him in there. He was starting to piss me off. Ok I am done with the hijack. ;D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts