Just Labradors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have some wonderful neighbors across the street who have three dogs, all rescues. We watch the dogs when they go out of town. Momma Dog was a mastiff, a sweet, loving, gentle giant. Around 10 last night she seemed like she needed to throw up and they let her out, but she just stood there. She was drooly but drank some water (they said she was especially wet after that, but they thought is was due to upset stomach). She normally slept in their room, but last night wanted to be in the garage so they made a bed for her there and checked on her every 30 minutes, with no change in her condition (just laying down). She was like my Sam, got upset stomach often. They went to bed at 12:20 am. At 1 am one of their other dogs started crying and they got up to check Momma Dog again. At that point there was something obviously wrong and Linda (neighbor) called her vet. They said to bring Momma to the emergency vet. Linda was trying to figure out how to get Momma in the truck because Momma was 150 lbs, Linda is about 100 lbs, and her husband just broke his collarbone and can't lift anything. Then Momma lifted her head and died a few seconds later.

Linda is sobbing, beside herself with guilt, thinking she could have spared Momma Dog three hours of suffering. She had found Momma Dog in a pipe in the truck yard where she works, and Momma was her shadow. I tried to reassure her and tell her what a good life she gave Momma. Momma was 11, so she lived a good, long life thanks to Linda. I just feel so bad and will really miss Momma. :(

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think what the hardest is that she's looking back now, and what seemed like any other time that Momma had an upset tummy was so much more serious, and she didn't recognize it. But Momma didn't seem in any pain, she was just drooly. Sam gets that was about once a month. I used to run him to the vet every time, and now I just watch him. It's just heartbreaking.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm so very sorry. I couldn't read through the post without lots of tears. It's been a little over 2 years since we lost Ike on his second time with bloat. I wish that no dog would ever have to go that way.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
That is just heartbreaking. Prayers and goodthoughts for Linda and her pack.

Run free, Momma, and wait at the Rainbow Bridge for your family.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Yes, I hope she can find peace in the wonderful life she had because of her love all those years. Thats how I look at our rescues that stay with us, the life they have here may not be long BUT it will be a happy, glorious LOVED life! I am glad that they were there with her when she passed. Run free, *ding*

·
Registered
456 Posts
Horrible. My parents' lab, Cocoa, had bloat. They were so lucky that they were home (they had just gotten home the night before from a trip, if they had not been there, she would have been home alone until the dog sitter got back from work). She was acting much like you describe and my parents called the vet who recognized what was happening and said to rush her in that she was in an extremely critical situation and that they would be waiting. The operated and were able to save her, but they were almost out of time. I'm so sorry for your friend's loss. It seems to be something that moves very, very fast.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
I'm so sorry. That's heartbreaking. Rest well, Momma.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts