Just Labradors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered Users
10,466 Posts
I would go back to the vet & get more tests or get a 2nd opinion just in case as Amy said, it's something more serious although arthritis is serious pain in itself. Poor girl. I hope you can get the pain under control. :(

Where does she sleep & what does she sleep on? If she's just sleeping on a hard floor, that wont be helping. She needs to be kept comfortable.

It's hard to talk about drugs because if you're in Singapore, you might have different treatments or the drugs might go under another name. I would be asking the vet about painkillers, anti-inflammatories & glucosamine. Cortisone (Prednisone) is a good anti-inflammatory but that's assuming it is arthritis.

Good luck & keep us posted re how she's progressing.

· Registered Users
10,466 Posts
She is usually on my couch, but not being able to get up now, she is on the floor most of the time. I try to line a cushion under her.
See if you can get a bed like this. You should be able to get one like it in any good pet store. If not, think about a human mattress for her.

Another question. Do you guys feed human glucosamine or those specifically for pets?
Maybe someone here can answer that but IMO, you should NEVER give human drugs to any animal unless it's prescribed by your vet. I had to go to my vet A/H one night in an emergency. He was trying to save a dog that was dying because its owner gave it a human antibiotic. I later found out he had to put it to sleep. The sound of that dog dying is something that will haunt me for the rest of my life. :(

· Registered Users
10,466 Posts
I am curious as to what antibiotic was given to the poor dog that died. Clavamox and Amox are given to humans and to dogs (administered by the vet of course).
I don't know. I was too concerned about my own dog at the time. She had a bee sting & she was allergic to them. She was at deaths door herself. The vet told me if I had got there another 5 minutes later for that adrenaline shot, she would have died.

All I know is she was a nurse & she gave it a human antibiotic. It turned out whatever the problem was, it should never have been treated with antibiotics in the first place. Just because she was a nurse, she thought she knew everything & found out the hard way that she didn't. :(

Hopefully, she learned a hard lesson for the next dog she got - if there was a next dog.

· Registered Users
10,466 Posts
Wow, I can imagine your stress and fear. So glad you got there in time.

I went thru similar issue with exploratory surgery. Surgeon told me if I had not taken my girl in that day she would have died.

I would think this nurse has learned from her mistake.
Yeah it scares the hell out you alright. Sounds like you were very lucky too. What was the problem?

The thing with my girl was because she was only a little Pug, it made the venom more toxic than if it had been a big dog like a Lab. I had to rush her to the vet twice in her life. Both times she was minutes away from dying.

There's a pic of her here. She's the black Pug on the right.

http://forum.justlabradors.com/album.php?albumid=26

I wish the OP would get back here & let us know what's happening. :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.