Just Labradors banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anybody had any advice about mixing an adult, set in her ways lab with a busy 8 week old puppy.

Our 4 year old was a rescue from a local pound. She has few issues but nothing too major. She is not really other dog aggressive but IS other dog wary. We got her at 4 months old and she obviously wasn't very well socialized. She has been around other family dogs and does pretty well other than she is very possessive of our family (me in particular).

We had a border collie that was with her for the first 3 years of her life, and she did good with him. He was a very, very submissive type though.

He died about 1 1/2 years ago and we were very excited to get another puppy. We just added an 8 week old lab mix this week and so far our older lab is doing great with him!! A friend of ours was over last night who has experience with dog handling and was discouraging to me. I was telling her how wonderful Kayla was doing with the puppy and she said, "well that's because the pup isn't a threat!"

My thoughts when getting the puppy was that if she was around him as a baby and could set the "dog" standards for him. There wouldn't be problems between the two. Am I correct in thinking that.

Any advice would be appreciated.

The new puppy mix is from purebred corgi (mom) and purebred lab (dad). I know it's a weird mix, but the little guy can't help his roots! lol

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Congrats on your new addition, and welcome to the board! :)

My older lab, Henry, was almost 5 1/2 when Ollie came home at 8 weeks. Unlike Kayla, Henry had been an "only child" his entire life and not used to having to share my attention with another. However, after a week or so of sorting things out, he and Ollie are now the best of friends. :)

Make sure that you still spend one-on-one time with Kayla. I'm sure that she and the new puppy will soon be good friends!!

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
I brought home a 2 yo black when my only dogchild was 4...the newbie peed once - licked his face - and it's been good since (except for the occasional please send her back looks) I think you are on the right track and shouldn't take the "isn't a threat" as a negative - perhaps she meant what you do - it's a pup and your older dog can set the standards for acceptable behavior! GOOD LUCK - what a cutie!

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
What a cute puppy! I brought Willy home from a rescue at 12 weeks. Libby was 2 1/2. She took to him like she was his Momma. They are the inseperable now. I think Kayla will be fine as long as you do like everyone said and give her some extra attention. Just like you would with an older child when you have a baby. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I think you'll be just fine. We brought a 6 month old puppy into our home and 2 of our other 3 dogs were kinda ticked off, sometimes even growling when the pup got annoying to them. But, 1-2 weeks later, they were ALL best buds! It's been 4 months now and I can't count how many times they cuddle with each other :) Get the camera ready to catch that first cuddle :)

Oh....and your puppy is so darn cute! Please post lots of pics!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the compliments and the encouragement everyone! :) Last night the two of them played for about 5 minutes, they were tearing around the room and the puppy had a blast, Kayla did too!

I'm very proud of how good Kayla is doing with the puppy!! He comes up and nips at her tail, or her leg and she just walks away. I'm actually surprised it's going this well. I hope it continues into Charlie's adult years! (Charley is the pup)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.