Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 CR-V that has 205,000 miles on it. It needs new tires. Hate to spend money on tires and then in a month need to get something new or decide I want something new.

Jason has been trying to get me to trade up for 2 years. He doesn't think it's big enough for us anymore. There are only 3 of us, but we did have the thing packed FULL on vacation last week and we didn't even have the dogs. Plus Jason said Riley's going to start wanting to bring friends places so we will be in a space pinch.

BUT, it's been really nice not having a car payment. (Bought it used so it's only been paid off a little over a year.) And when I bought it, I said this would be the car I would drive until I started leaving pieces of it on the road behind me.

Plus, I have a serious aversion to spending much money. We got this for around $14k and it was the most expensive vehicle I'd ever bought. I know to get something bigger that I like that makes changing vehicles worthwhile I'll have to pay for it and it gives me hives.

I'm torn. Tire or shop?

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
I would buy tires too. It's not dropping pieces on the road yet. Take that car payment you would be making and put it in the bank. When you have enough, go buy one and pay cash. No car payment.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
If the car is still chuggin' along just fine I'd just get the tires. I'd put off buying a car for as long as possible.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
you know you can buy used tires.. no point in gettng brand new ones .. there's a few places that sell used ones around here.. check that out and see if you can get a wicked deal.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
200,000 miles?!?! I would buy a new car...it is a GREAT time to get a car...so many deals both new and used.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Doesn't Honda force you to buy those super-expensive non-puncture tires?? May be that after paying a potful for them, you're well on your way to a new car anyway.....

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Tires

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had no idea you could buy used tires. Definitely have to check into that. Jason's afraid the second we drop the money on tires it WILL start dropping pieces on the road behind me. =)

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Although I did find a shiny, bells-and-whistley Nissan Pathfinder this morning. But I was only look to get an idea of how much they cost.

But boy, was it nice.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Doesn't Honda force you to buy those super-expensive non-puncture tires?? May be that after paying a potful for them, you're well on your way to a new car anyway.....
Nope. Got a CRV. No such requirements. Just has to be the right size of course

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
The cautious thing to do would be new tires as inexpensively as possible. But there's no denying that now is a great time to buy something else, lots of good deals and possibly a higher trade-in amount than in healthier economic times for dealerships.

Do you live somewhere that is enacting a "clunker law"? There are several states that are talking about giving people a subsidy to get their old, high mileage cars off the road and get them into something newer (or already do). Some states have an income maximum for qualification. But it still might be worth checking into, as it could make it really worthwhile to go the replacement vehicle route.

I just had to replace a tire on my Mini Cooper S, and it only takes the fancy run-flats. Ouch!

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
My vote is for tires. But I'd buy new tires.
Why? I'm not talking old, shitty tires.. used tires are usually from people who replace brand new factory tires in favour of something more trendy or a different size.

You can get re-tread tires as well for a lot less.

If you want to replace a car in the near future.. say a year even.. what's the point in spending twice as much for a tire that will last a lot longer than you'll need it? Plus, this is much more enviro-friendly.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Why? I'm not talking old, shitty tires.. used tires are usually from people who replace brand new factory tires in favour of something more trendy or a different size.

You can get re-tread tires as well for a lot less.

If you want to replace a car in the near future.. say a year even.. what's the point in spending twice as much for a tire that will last a lot longer than you'll need it? Plus, this is much more enviro-friendly.
Safety. History of the used tires, how long they've been sitting, what kind of abuse they've had.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Starting either today or August 1st, I don't remember, you can drop off your old car at a dealer and if you buy a new one that also gets 10mpg more than the old one, the government will give you $4,500. I looked at the trade-in value on Kelly Blue Book and it looks like it won't be that good of a deal on it, but I don't know what exactly you have aside from a 2000 CR-V with 205,000 miles. You may want to check it out.

The only drawback (and a huge flaw in my opinion) to the law is that you must buy a new vehicle, you can't buy a used one. Also, if it gets less than 10 mpg better you only get $3,500.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts