Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

First I would like to thank you all for your wonderful advice, Ive read almost every topic inside and out, and Im picking up my new pup tomorrow!

I did have one question though:

What can I expect for typical vet costs for my lab. I live in San Jose, Ca

I knowthere is the initial checkup within 72 hours of bringin the pup home, and then finishing the shot/ deworming cycles. From then on, I believe its only once a year for an annual checkup.

So basically I am wondering how much can i expcet to pay for each of those cycles...

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
No one can really answer this for you. The price of check ups, Frontline, worming tablets, etc., will differ from vet to vet.

The best thing you can do is keep your pup fit and healthy to avoid vet visits.

We have been lucky so far this year...no vet visits and hopefully it will stay that way. ;)

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Ditto to what Trickster said.

Not only does it vary from vet to vet, but it varies greatly between cities. Maybe someone from your neck of the woods is on the board and could give you an idea of what they have experienced.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
UC-Davis has a very good Vet School. They're about 110 miles away from you.

Some vet schools/colleges price their services MUCH lower than many area vets in order to get the needed variety of clients for teaching purposes. But some have prices approximately the same or (rarely) even higher.

I drive 120 miles (roundtrip) for all of my Puff's vet services at KSU-CVM-TH. They have the latest diagnostic equipment, higher quality diagnostic and treatment skills, & lower prices (in KS).

UC-Davis is one of the CVM-THs that allow clients to directly self-refer their pet rather than have to be referred by a vet.

You might bear this is mind.

G

·
Oh and the best way to determine costs are to call up a vet (hopefully one that's been recommended to you) and get the price. Usually they'll have something called a puppy package that will include all of the puppy's shots. Don't forget to factor in spaying/neutering, too.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Ugh, you're delusional if you think it's a once a year vet visit. I have had Gabby nine months and have spent 1000 dollars on everything from puppy shots to frontline and heartgard to spaying to urinary tract infections.

This is my third lab- and it was never a once a year vet visit. We live in Saint Louis btw- and that's cheaper than CA, obviously.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
From then on, I believe its only once a year for an annual checkup.

...if only
Good point. LOL

I agree -- thinking you can get away with one vet visit a year is a little optimistic. Even very healthy dogs can catch sickness bugs, etc., just like a very healthy human can.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Let's see...I dropped $1000 on my two adults just in the past 2 weeks and they are healthy. ;) Ear infection for Essy, OFA xrays for Essy, blood/urine/Valley Fever tests for Murray, blood and valley Fever tests for Essy.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Sammi is a pretty darn healthy pup, if I do say myself :D-m She is 14 months old and I just counted back in the last year she has seen the vet 7 times. Between shots, spay, one uti and one ear infection. NOt to mention the medicine to fix the problems, flea meds. fish cap.s for her skin, cranberry caps. for the uti's- glucosimine just because, food, treats etc. it adds up and never stops ;D-oh yeah just had to add, they are worth every penny and more!

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
With a first puppy, I think many people tend to use vets more often.

Puff wasn't my first pup BUT she was the first after a very long stretch, so we went to the vet FAR more in her first year of age than in her second and far more in her second than in her third.

I DO highly recommend Giffin & Carlson's "Dog Owners Home Veterninary Handbook" (about $25 from Amazon). It has sections covering puppies. It'll save needless worry, needless delays in seeing a vet or unnecessary visits, and will repay its cost many times. No dog should come without a copy and every dog owner should read it when symptoms appear.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Minnesota is a differnent animal obviously than California cost of living wise, but my 8 week old pup had some nasty diarhea, and I didn't like a discolored spot on it (looked like blood) so I brought her in today. That cost me only $38, is that pretty good for an examination only? Someone told me this guy is good and cheaper than other local people because he does his business out of his house.

The other thing we have in our area is local Pet Clinics. you can get your vaccinations there, and even though my pup needs boosters every 3 weeks, and the clinic is every month, because the same vet does clinics in other towns I can travel a few miles and get the same service right on schedule. Another possibility to check out, probably with your city hall.

·
Registered
13 Posts
first check up at an alternative vet cost me 130 in texas, but that came with medicine stool sample (cos we thought he was sick) and a variety of items to help him sleep better.

G

·
Most of the dogs I have had have been once a year to the vets dogs during their prime years. My 9 year old Dutch Shepherd has been to the vet quite a lot in the last 2 years with a variety of problems like: incredibly persistent conjunctivitis (5 visits) and wounds on her nose that just would not heal (3 visits)-- then the seizures (3 visits)-- then the Lyme Disease diagnosis (2 more visits). So from puppy to 7 - basically one visit a year. From 7 to 91/2 about one visit every 2 months. She was expensive this year!

·
Registered
263 Posts
I must be incredibly fortunate, I've only had to take my dogs to the Vets for Rabies shots. The puppy vaccinations run $7.95 from the Feed Store (which we administer ourselves) and we never really had any serious issues come up with the exception of one service dog that worked Search and Rescue with us after Hurricane Katrina. He damaged his kidneys irreparably during our two years in Biloxi.

As others suggested, your location is likely the biggest pricing factor. A general visit to the Vet here in southern Alabama is about $35.00....

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
I must be incredibly fortunate, I've only had to take my dogs to the Vets for Rabies shots. The puppy vaccinations run $7.95 from the Feed Store (which we administer ourselves) and we never really had any serious issues come up with the exception of one service dog that worked Search and Rescue with us after Hurricane Katrina. He damaged his kidneys irreparably during our two years in Biloxi.

As others suggested, your location is likely the biggest pricing factor. A general visit to the Vet here in southern Alabama is about $35.00....
This thread is from 2007....the OP hasn't been back since 2009.

I do want to say I wish I had your vet prices - my vet (and those around) charges $65 per visit to just walk in teh door and are quick to add other costs as needed. I think if you can see just the tech you are charged closer to $35 but you are gambling as if the tech can't help you need to see the vet for another $65...

Vet costs are very regional.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I should have looked at the date but for some reason this thread showed up when I clicked on 'Today's Posts'...

Apologies for the resurrection!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi Mark...glad it was resurrected...because it was interesting to me even tho some of the info was old. We just found 2 little labs that were are in incredibly bad shape. Our vet bill for the 2 of them was $176 but they have mange, hookworms, needed special meds and shots, had their puppy shots, flea and tick treatment. That is in Mississippi and I believe it was actually called a clinic.

·
Registered
69 Posts
On Mandy's last 'annual' visit was about $500; I wish our prices were as good as some of those mentioned. BUT; we are happy with our vet (knowledge and service)

This was for the works, with the exception of blood work.

I am surprised that some people mention going to the Vet numerous times a year. It is very rare that we would be there any more than the annual visit, at most twice a year. (Of course with her recent knee injury we've been there WAY too much!)

·
Registered
21,293 Posts
No one can really answer this for you. The price of check ups, Frontline, worming tablets, etc., will differ from vet to vet.

The best thing you can do is keep your pup fit and healthy to avoid vet visits.

We have been lucky so far this year...no vet visits and hopefully it will stay that way. ;)
So you ARE still alive Rosie ! Welcome back !

1 - 20 of 24 Posts