Just Labradors banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am a new, proud owner of a yellow lab. Actually he is still with his mother but he'll come home in two weeks. Anyway, I live alone except for the new puppy coming soon. I am wondering if I should get another lab to keep him company while I am at work. I work 12 hour shifts which is a long time to be gone from a puppy. Does anyone have any ideas? I have room for another puppy.

I am also interested in correct methods of house training my little guy. Thank you (I am new to this site).

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
before you consider a second dog I would recommend trying things with the one puppy and see if you have time. Yes the company for the one pup would be nice, but do not forget that two dogs, never mind two puppies, is TWICE the work as they need one-on-one training and attention. Maybe once the new pup settles in you can consider adopting an older dog (but again, first get into a schedual with the current pup to see ifyou have TIME for another dog, even an older trained dog needs time)

Do you have a plan for puppy while you are gone for 12 hours? Puppy can only hold it in for 3-4 hours at first. If you give the pup more space so it can go where it sleeps this will greatly impeed house training. the best way to house train is to use a crate that is sectionned off so the puppy just has room to turn around in (they generally will not pee/poo where they sleep). But this means letting the pup out for potty every 3-4 hours at first. Then you take pup outside when they wake up, finish playing, or every two hours when you are around (and they are out of their crate) and supervise when they are out of the crate to catch any potential accidents. Also, taking the pup outside at regular times (schedual)helps a great deal.

Good luck, welcome to the board, congrats on the new pup.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I received a picture of my soon to be pup. I am really excited. I think the advice you gave for one at a time is perfect and correct. As far as a plan, I have a neighbor who will check on the dog several times a day while I at work. I am fortunate to have one full week off each month where I will be able to spend a lot of time with my buddy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts