Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello there! my name is Brooke and i am the new mommy to Crush- a 9 week old yellow Labrador. i grew up with an old black lab, so I feel familiar with the breed, but I've never had a puppy of any breed before. Is it okay that he follows me around all day? No- I haven't crate trained him and honestly I don't plan to, so he is free to walk around the house. I just hope he isn't tiring himself out or that he isn't following me because he feels worried or insecure in his new environment. if i stop in the kitchen for a minute or two, he gets all cozy at my feet. but i never stand still very long, so he is up again when i move...lol!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
That's normal.

No crate, huh? What do you do with him when you leave the house?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well, I am a stay-at-home mom, so I am here all day with my youngest daughter and my neice. Also, my husband works nights, so he is home during the day if I need to run an errand, and we have older children who stay home by themselves also. We are lucky we don't really have to worry about leaving him alone since grandma and grandpa live next door as well. ;)

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Sounds normal, he likes you!

As for the crate, I know it might not seem necessary, but you'll realize that at some point you are going to need to confine him, and wish you'd given him a heads up on that skill...be it at the vets or emergency trips out of town where he needs to be boarded. It will be much less stressful on him if to have that skill.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
The following is normal. He will gain some independance as he gets a little bit older.

On the crate - I would crate train even with your schedule of having a responsible party around all the time during daylight hours. A puppy can get into trouble at night when left unsupervised (most don't sleep all night long but have periods of wakefulness and may ramble around).

There are SO many dangers in an average house and the possibility that your puppy will damage something and himself in the process is high.

The other upside with crate training is that your puppy can nap during the day undisturbed by activity around him. I have a 14 week old puppy who has a pretty regular nap schedule. When I don't put him in the crate when it is nap time (as I am inclined to do when I am working from home) he does not sleep as long and gets disturbed by my movement or that of our other dog.

Labs also can be terrible teenagers as older puppies. IMHO - they REALLY need to be in a crate when people are out of the house at this age. My older Lab had to be crated when left alone until he was 2 1/2 or I would come home to shredded newspapers and magazines everywhere in the house.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds normal, he likes you!

As for the crate, I know it might not seem necessary, but you'll realize that at some point you are going to need to confine him, and wish you'd given him a heads up on that skill...be it at the vets or emergency trips out of town where he needs to be boarded. It will be much less stressful on him if to have that skill.

you may very well be right but- I am treating this new puppy just like we treated my childhood Lab- the Lab of my life (RIP Jessie), and he never had a crate. See, the whole crate concept is unfamiliar to me and seems pretty new. I don't remember any of my friends or family's dogs having crates. I am 28 so it hasn't been that long since I was a kid. Maybe Jessie was just an amazingly exceptional Labrador, but he never had to be confined to go to the vet, he just went on a leash. I don't take emergency trips out of town, that is not the type of lifestyle that I have so I really don't need to worry about that. But thank you for your input, I do appreciate it and I will consider all the advice I get here.:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The following is normal. He will gain some independance as he gets a little bit older.

On the crate - I would crate train even with your schedule of having a responsible party around all the time during daylight hours. A puppy can get into trouble at night when left unsupervised (most don't sleep all night long but have periods of wakefulness and may ramble around).

There are SO many dangers in an average house and the possibility that your puppy will damage something and himself in the process is high.

The other upside with crate training is that your puppy can nap during the day undisturbed by activity around him. I have a 14 week old puppy who has a pretty regular nap schedule. When I don't put him in the crate when it is nap time (as I am inclined to do when I am working from home) he does not sleep as long and gets disturbed by my movement or that of our other dog.

Labs also can be terrible teenagers as older puppies. IMHO - they REALLY need to be in a crate when people are out of the house at this age. My older Lab had to be crated when left alone until he was 2 1/2 or I would come home to shredded newspapers and magazines everywhere in the house.
This part rings true! Even Jessie made several messes out of our garbage at this age when left home by himself! I have an Arizona room, which is basically a secured screened in porch/deck and it has been dedicated as 'puppy space' so I guess in this aspect he has a really big crate. In the living room he has a bed that fits him now, but so far he has preferred to stretch out on the tile floor.

·
Registered
21,293 Posts
you may very well be right but- I am treating this new puppy just like we treated my childhood Lab- the Lab of my life (RIP Jessie), and he never had a crate. See, the whole crate concept is unfamiliar to me and seems pretty new. I don't remember any of my friends or family's dogs having crates. I am 28 so it hasn't been that long since I was a kid. Maybe Jessie was just an amazingly exceptional Labrador, but he never had to be confined to go to the vet, he just went on a leash. I don't take emergency trips out of town, that is not the type of lifestyle that I have so I really don't need to worry about that. But thank you for your input, I do appreciate it and I will consider all the advice I get here.:)

I can only echo the crate advice ! It wasn't considered pc several years ago ( here at least ) but the Labs not only get used to it but it gives them a safe haven and it gives you the opportunity for some time out while they enjoy a kong or similar

·
Registered
32 Posts
You may not think you'll ever have the need for a crate but believe me when I say "life and accidents happen".

My 6 month old puppy was walking in the park with my husband and me this past Sunday and we walked down a very short boat launch to let him swim and when he came running out of the water and jumped up (I know they're not supposed to jump but tell that one to a gregarious pup) he landed on his leg and fractured it in two places. He had surgery yesterday and now has a very large compression bandage from hip to toe. He is wearing the dreaded e-collar and my vet has him on crate rest for 2 weeks until the bandage comes off and the sutures are removed.. Thank god he loves his crate.

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Yep, Toby follows me EVERYWHERE I go.. even if I just move to another place in the room. ;)

Crate training is very, very important and it also helps with house-training. I'm sure your pup will have accidents in the house, but it's a lot easier for them to "get it" when you crate train because they (generally) won't go pee/poop where they sleep.

Make sure that you get a big enough crate so that when he is full grown he can stand and turn around easily. For a puppy, it's going to be wayyy too big, so most of them come with a divider. Same rule applies - put the divider where it will allow the puppy to stand and turn around, but that's it. If his crate is too big, he will go pee/poop in the corner and then lay where it's clean.

A crate can be a safe spot for your dog when he's tired and there's too much going on with the kids and people in the house.

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
I've never owned a crate either. I was skiting on here only the other day that I've never had a dog that's wrecked my house & that included Jo (my Lab) He was a shadow like yours. Never let me or my Mum out of his sight. I always called him Mummy's boy because that's exactly what he was. When he wasn't under her feet, he was following me around including lying on top of me while watching tv & sleeping on my bed. Get used to it with yours because it's just the typical loyal & loving nature that makes up a Labrador.

If you're home all day & you have your "Arizona room" set up for a dog, I wouldn't bother with a crate. It doesn't sound like you need one but that's just my opinion. ;)

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Your pup sounds adorable. And yes, you WILL be followed.

Pics???

My guy will be 9 in a handful of weeks. When I go upstairs to bed, he follows. If I forgot something and go back down, he follows. Back up? ZUUUP! If I then want to check to see if I indeed turned the dryer off or locked the front door, he'll bumbletdy-bang down the steps w/me once more. Back up? BACK UP...

Usually at this point with a HEAVY LAB SIGH (tm).

To which I say: "Hey, dude! It's not ME demanding that you accompany me downstairs every time!!!"

·
Registered
21,293 Posts
I've never owned a crate either. I was skiting on here only the other day that I've never had a dog that's wrecked my house & that included Jo (my Lab) He was a shadow like yours. Never let me or my Mum out of his sight. I always called him Mummy's boy because that's exactly what he was. When he wasn't under her feet, he was following me around including lying on top of me while watching tv & sleeping on my bed. Get used to it with yours because it's just the typical loyal & loving nature that makes up a Labrador.

If you're home all day & you have your "Arizona room" set up for a dog, I wouldn't bother with a crate. It doesn't sound like you need one but that's just my opinion. ;)
I think that's sentimental mush Garth .....but my boy loves a cuddle so you are forgiven !

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
where's the pictures?!! He sounds adorable.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
The one reason i'm so thankful my pup is crate trained is because of her surgery. She was forced into crate rest.. and trust me, you have a dog not used to being in a crate who suddenly has to spend 24/7 in there because of surgery and you'll want to rip your hair out!

Oh the racket! =)

It's up to you.. but just to give you a bit of forsight.. it can come in handy for reasons you don't think about whent hey're healthy.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
A lot of people do like crate training. It is a great tool for most. I for one do not really like it.

Hunter just turned 8 a couple of weeks ago, he never saw the inside of a crate.

Duke, my chocolate has only been in the crate while he was in foster care, when I adopted him I did try it for a couple of days and video taped him while I was gone. The poor guy was having fits inside his crate, that was the end of the crate for him.

Have fun with your pup!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts