Just Labradors banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brought Miles home last evening. Luckily my sister came along and held him for the 2-1/2 hour drive so he basically slept most of the way. He didn’t whine at all last night. Instead, he howled for six hours. I had his crate in the bedroom but he was obviously stressed as he had five ‘poo’ accidents during the night - even though I had let him outside numerous times and had a blanket from the whelping box. Fortunately (or unfortunately) I am unemployed so I can try to make up some sleep during the day. He does not like the crate but I am bound and determine to get him use to it. I think the breeder and his three children did lots of socializing which included holding the pups quite a bit. I think I’m now paying the price. The interaction between Miles and his 3 y/o brother Simon has been great. I just wish the howling and pooing would stop. I’ll keep you all posted and send pics soon.
Becky
Simon & Miles

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Welcome, Miles! We look forward to pictures. Now, you just settle down, young man; you are in your forever home.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Welcome Miles! He will acclimate to the crate, so don't give up. Can't wait for pictures.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
He'll be OK, I swear. It was the first night away from the only home/mother/siblings he's ever known. I'd howl, too.
:)

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
He'll be OK, I swear. It was the first night away from the only home/mother/siblings he's ever known. I'd howl, too.
:)
Agree 1000%! That first night is a bit rough for them since they are in completely new surroundings. I know when tal and Barney both came home, they cried the first night or two. Also, for about the first week loose stools are not uncommon too! Looking forward to the pics!

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
Congratulations on your new new pup! I agree with the others, a few nights and he will settle down. Looking forward to seeing the pictures!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi all. I thought I had all bases covered with a divided crate for a smaller area, blanket from the whelping box, original food from the breeder, crate in my bedroom, stuffed animal to cuddle with, chew toys. Unfortunately, everything ended up covered in feces due to diarrhea (sp?). I took him to the vet today and he feels Miles is okay except for a bit skinny. The loose stool may be from both stress and the fact that he was dewormed two days ago. The vet gave me some med to help 'bind' him. I realized that Miles likes to lay by my feet so I decided to put my feet in his kennel (while I sit here) and then he is in his kennel with the door open. I'm hoping for a good nights sleep tonight or at least better than last night. How much can a dog howel? I'll keep you all posted.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Welcome to your new home Miles! I love that name for a Labrador...... how gorgeous.

Yep... 2 and a half years on and I still remember that dreadful howling. Ours went on for 4 nights straight and then... blimey..... she gave up. *phew* Just stick with it.... the sleepless nights are worth a crate trained pup.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
and I recommend that the partitioned area of the crate that Miles is sleeping in has nothing in it at night time. So much easier for you, you can just take it outside and hose it down.

Also, try covering the crate in a nice thick blanket or sheet. It makes the crate dark and more inviting for the pup.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm hoping for a good nights sleep tonight or at least better than last night. How much can a dog howel? I'll keep you all posted.
Depends on how long you can stand to listen to it.

I remember when some friends of mine had just gotten their chocolate puppy, Sally. We were out at hunting camp and for safety reasons, all dogs were crated at night. Well, Sally was little and they hadn't gotten another crate yet, so she was in with her big sister Molly, a lab cross. (Big crates, they were) Sally howled and howled. You could hear Molly moving around trying to get comfortable and probably away from all the racket when suddenly there was a WOOF! That ended it. Molly got tired of it and told her to hush. You know, Sally never whined again in any crate? That was the best.

Good luck with the crate training. Was really good for my girls.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts