Just Labradors banner

new pup and parvo

290 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  imported_Canula2000 
#1 ·
Well, I wanted to keep this quiet because I am not 100% sure yet but I may be bringing home a new pup soon. My main concern right now is a recent outbreak of parvo in my neighborhood. Two doors down from us our neighbor is now on his third puppy ::) the other two died from parvo. Will this effect my house and a new puppy? My neighbor doesn't seem to have a clue about how dangerous parvo is because once the pup died they ran out and got a new one. Now hopefully the third pup doesn't suffer the same fate. So is this too dangerous for an eight week puppy to come to my home?

#2 ·
Most likely no danger unless the neighbors infected puppy was in your house or yard or you would have brought the virus into your house from theirs.. You'd also want to make sure that you dont get your pup anywhere near where the infected one has been ie front yard etc.

I think your neighbors on the other hand had better stop getting puppies if this one doesn't survive. The parvo virus can last for a very long time in the environment.

#3 ·
Stay away from your neighbor's house. (BTW, the odds are not good for their 3rd puppy either). Don't let the neighbors come to your house or your yard. Don't you or anyone in your household go into their yard or their house. You can walk that parvo right over to your new pup. You will need to be vigilant about not letting your puppy walk around the neighborhood until all of it's shots are complete. Tell your vet about your neighbor's parvo experience. If it were me I would avoid going anywhere near the neighbor's place or anywhere they could have walked, and I would leave my shoes outside.

#4 ·
Ditto what everyone has said so far. Don't take your pup anywhere out front of your house where that pup may have been, or they may have been, until your pup has done all it's shots, and then some I'd say. No little kids over that have been playing at their house or in their yard.

I feel sorry for that 3rd pup. Can you call the local humane society?

#5 ·
Well I am really a little worried because the first pup that died was 8 or 9 months old and had the habit of running the neighborhood and had been in my yard many times. The neighbors are not good dog owners and their dogs are always running loose so I have a worry about the front yard of my house. I know the breeder does a couple parvo shots before they go home so pup should have some resistance. I haven't told the breeder yet but I have thought she might want to keep puppy a few more weeks until she can give another booster and I am loving the idea of a small 8 week puppy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.