Just Labradors banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on the HOA Board and we got an email from one of the new neighbors. Both parties happen to live at the end of my street. They wanted a copy of the bylaws to see if we could make the newest neighbors get rid of their dogs. They are worried because they have 2 Pit Bulls and you know they are ferocious dogs. :rolleyes: Apparently I am the only one on the street that is not worried about this. I went to their house and gave them a copy of the bylaws. I suggested they get to know the new neighbors and the dogs before making an opinion about them. Why are people so quick to judge? The newest people just moved in a week or so ago.

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
I cacked myself at a pitbull i saw the other day mainly as they are illegal over here and bred on the quiet and it had a huge muzzle on! lol But ive seen well trained ones on tv etc and they do look lovely dogs, alot of ppl are quick to judge, over here the breed thats judged are staffies and rotties

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
After everything that has been all over the new about Vick and his dogs I am surprised. Even Sports Illustrated did a fabulous article a couple of weeks ago about the rehabilitation of the Vick dogs and how they are all giant mushes despite the horrific conditions in which they were raised. I honestly would be more worried about a cocker spaniel than a pit bull.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
My DIL is scared to death of Pitbulls. Has she ever seen or been attacked by one, NO! Read on. She has read the stories in the news, seen the reports on the TV.

They met Hershey Kisses and I at the Dog Park one day last fall. Our granddaughter was having a ball saying hi to every dog that would get near her. DIL was having panic attacks that one of these dogs would attack her daughter. Eventually this one dog came up to our granddaughter, nuzzled into her tummy and just stayed put to be pet. DIL knelt down and started petting the dog. She looked up at me and said, 'This is a really nice dog. What kind is it?'

Come on! Admit it. Each of you know. She thought the Pit Bull was the nicest dog at the park.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
I wonder if they are keeping the dogs inside? If they have them as outdoor dogs, I would be a little concerned about them getting loose and possibly being aggressive to people or other pets. I'm sure most pits are sweet dogs but that is one breed I would never trust around my own dogs or a child.

·
Registered
869 Posts
My first neighbors had a pit bull and a lab. Both dogs were good and the pitbull retrieved better than the lab. I agree, they should go meet the neighbor and the dogs first before rushing to judgment.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
there are quite a few that go to our bark park and most of them are fine. The owners of those that aren't are asked to leave and not return.

I had a bad experience a few weeks ago with my SD's GSD/PB mix. We were walking along far from the crowd and this female PB came out of the crowd and jumped our puppy. she did not get her mouth around her throat but she was trying. I got her off, the own leashed her and off we went our separate ways. Not 50 feet further on the dog did it again! I was speechless! My SD was crying and Fanny & Eddie were ignoring the whole thing.

later as we walked around I saw the dog being quite aggressive while playing and eventually she was taken home. I haven't seen them since but I beleive they were told to leave and not come back.

that is the only bad experience I have had. I have had worse with GSD's and labs!!

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wonder if they are keeping the dogs inside? If they have them as outdoor dogs, I would be a little concerned about them getting loose and possibly being aggressive to people or other pets. I'm sure most pits are sweet dogs but that is one breed I would never trust around my own dogs or a child.

They are inside dogs. She saw them once. They were tethered in the back yard. When I passed their house last night they barked at me from the front door. Zoe does the same thing. They are just protecting their house. I am going to stop over there tonight.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
...they should go meet the neighbor and the dogs first before rushing to judgment.
There is no doubt that you are right, but sometimes you get hit with, "I know the answer. Please don't try to confuse me with facts."

I am working with our Park Board on Dog Parks and off-lead rules in the parks in general. It has been very enlightening. The scenario here involves Pitbulls, but we had an incident in one of the parks involving a Golden. I witnessed this whole thing. Golden was off-lead. She saw a couple approaching on the trail and started running towards them to greet. Tail going a mile a minute and running in one of those play crouches. The woman lets out a scream that would break glass. Owner yells out, 'Drop!' Dog drops immediately and doesn't move. Owner comes forward to leash dog. The dog never got within 25 feet of the woman.

Argument starts and ends. Couple files complaint. Dog was in an off leash area. Dog was never aggressive, and dropped on command. Drop or Recall is the requirement. CSO accepts complaint a issues citation to owner. Owner, CSO, myself and two other witnesses show up for hearing requested by owner. The couple does not show up. We each tell our story. Magistrate asks CSO why the citation was issued. There was no violation. CSO, young, simply responded that the victim demanded it. The Magistrate inform the CSO that there was no victim.

Win one for the dogs!

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The dogs that make me nervous are Akitas. Beautiful dogs but I am weary of them. My friends parents have 2 that are just hige love bugs. The 3 they had before them couldn't all be in the house together. They eventually put 2 of the 3 down after a fight in the house.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
They are inside dogs. She saw them once. They were tethered in the back yard. When I passed their house last night they barked at me from the front door. Zoe does the same thing. They are just protecting their house. I am going to stop over there tonight.
I would be more ticked about the dogs being tethered than what kind of breed they were. Tethering can cause any breed to become aggressive.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
So they are indoor dogs but sometimes tethered in an unfenced yard? That would still concern me. It makes me really sad to see dogs tethered and unsupervised. Hopefully they are only tethered for potty breaks while the owners are home.

·
Registered
21,482 Posts
I am very cautious around the breed (only because one attacked Clancey as a puppy), I would never make an assumption how someone trained and raised their dogs. Neighbors are asshats.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
We've had Pitties in obed class. Never had an issue with one. Never found one to be less than 100% sweetiepie.

Which is not to say there aren't bad apples out there.

Now I **have** run into some beastly dachshunds that would take your arm off if given half a chance.....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts