Just Labradors banner
1 - 3 of 7 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!!

I am fixing to be the proud mother of a beautiful yellow lab puppy that me and my fiance have named, Bella Gentry.

She will be 5 weeks old tomorrow!

Me and my fiance, Brandon, have never had a dog- we are cat people. So naturally, we have been reading and preparing since we found out my best girlfriend's dog was pregnant.

I have so many questions!! I don't ever know where to start!! The books have been ever so helpful but I just need more input from Lab owners!!

Question #1: Every book I have read says that Bella should come home at 8 weeks- We are suppose to be getting her at 6 weeks. Is this to soon or should I truly push for her to stay at home with Mom for a couple more weeks?? We live 1/2 a block from Bella's mom so even if we do get her early, Mom is very close by along with her 7 siblings.

#2: Can I take her to my vet to get her vaccinations and first check up at 6 weeks, or should I let her current owner take care of this?? I prefer my puppy be seen by my Vet. I don't know really how to word this- Since I am the one paying for her, I should be able to take her to the Vet and make sure she checks out right?

#3- We are cat people. I read its better to let the cats get to know the dog and not vice versa. Has anyone dealt with this? How did it go?!

#4- My fiance and I (nurse and paramedic) work the night shifts- Is this difficult for a puppy/dog to adjust too when her parents are night people and not out in the daylight??

Thanks guys so much!! I am so excited about being a first time Mommy!!

Brandi

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kudos to you for reading about Labs

8 weeks would be good, 7 weeks would be minimal. Some states have laws prohibiting separation before 7 weeks age.

There is a critical period of imprinting in dogs such that they need to be with their sibs and each other until that age to form a species identification as well as pick up some other important traits. [Google those two highlighted terms to learn more about them.]

E.g., I got Bess, my first Lab, at 5 weeks age and she never identified herself as a dog, never played with other dogs, or acknowledged them as her peers. That was a terrible lack -- dogs can have so much fun playing with each other.

My view on this is take her to whichever vet YOU'RE most comfortable with -- that's the vet you'll use anyway.

I defer to cat people with experience with Lab puppies. I think you'll need to create safe, out of the way places for your cats -- Lab puppies love to play and chew on each otherl

I think your puppy will be quite adaptable but others with experience in this may have some suggestions.

wow- thank you so much! Very helpful!

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Honest to god truth- The book I read that has explained so much to me is the "Idiot's Guide to Labrador Puppies." It just broke everything down, and made it so much easier to take in!!

I have several labby dog training magazines, and they are very helpful. :eek:

1 - 3 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.