Just Labradors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 4 years old male dark yellow lab which was given to me by coworkers as a surprise. (long story...maybe next time) He's a Search and rescue dog and he was born ready to do this type of thing - sweet but an amazing drive! He has always been slim, muscular and long legged. He only weight about 58 lbs, has a long neck and small head. We have many other labs on search and rescue but they look very AKCish (show look). Someone who does hunting with his lab once told me that my lab was a 'field lab' and that there is a completely different line in hunting world. I never had a chance to go to a field trial so I still haven't seen any lab that looks like mine. Strangers often ask what kind of mix he is. I tell them that he's probably mixed with Weimer, Rhodesian Ridgeback or maybe a giraffe... ::) He came with AKC paper but it doesn't always mean he's pure bred.

So, here am I on field lab forum, hoping that maybe some of you have a lab that looks like him and share some photos of him/her. I think he's beautiful no matter what he is. I actually prefer his slender and petite look.

Here's my boy.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I do not really know all the details like the ppl here...He looks really cute and has a great lab face! I love the pictures! Maybe someone can help you out!

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
I think he looks beautiful. Lean and athletic. My kind of dog.

He may well be mixed with another hunting breed as you are not sure of his ancestry but to me, he looks like a field bred Labrador. Both my field bred boys run in at 58 and 60lbs.

Just as show Labs vary in type, field Labs also do. Some are blockier, some are much leaner. It really differs from line to line.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Trickster said:
I think he looks beautiful. Lean and athletic. My kind of dog.

He may well be mixed with another hunting breed as you are not sure of his ancestry but to me, he looks like a field bred Labrador. Both my field bred boys run in at 58 and 60lbs.

Just as show Labs vary in type, field Labs also do. Some are blockier, some are much leaner. It really differs from line to line.
Right our ZEKE MAN IS 70LBS AA IS 85 BUT LOOKS LEAN.

·
Registered
5,503 Posts
Your Lab looks more field type. All that matters is that you love the way he looks, love the way he works for you, and just love him as he is.

Here is my 70 pound show-type Lab (you can see that even a show-type Lab can look lean and athletic when fed only 1 cup of food a day ;) plus treats):

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Trickster, do you have an album of your dogs that I can peek?
Hiya. I have few decent quality pictures due to a.) computer problems and b.) my camera that has been missing for months. So sorry -- this is about as best as I can do!

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/amelia0x/Pictures/photo#5053642467032254706

Tatyana, Scotty looks fantastic but I have a question. How to you maintain him on one cup of food? does he not drive you nuts looking for more?

·
Registered
5,503 Posts
Tatyana, Scotty looks fantastic but I have a question. How to you maintain him on one cup of food? does he not drive you nuts looking for more?
Well, I need to up his food to 1.5 cups/day I think. I've been working him harder since it got warmer and he dropped from 75 lbs to 70 lbs. I think his perfect weight is 75 pounds. I train a lot with treats so he gets extra food from that. For tracking, we've been using a lot of hot dogs, too. I think my husband secretely feeds him too many treats, which when I'm not home, I cannot really do anything about (even though I told him many times not to give him too many treats). Scotty has always been a self-regulator. Until just a couple of months ago, he would regularly skip a meal every two or three day just because he did not want to eat. Since we started working harder, he has not skipped any meals.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
My old girl, Winnie, was also a self regulator when it came to eating. I used to worry about her as a pup, and ended up having to put her on Euk Premium Performance (30/20) just to get the calories in her!!! She was from all field lines, btw (the old Hiwood lines -- Hiwood Piper, Pipers Pacer, etc).... just to show you how field lines CAN vary in looks. Your guy would fit right in with many of the field trialer/MH dogs of today though, Coopie.

I, otoh, used to get comments from people asking how I got a male's head on a females' body, ::) LOL. I'll post a couple favorite photos of Winnie below (I sent her to the bridge last year at 13.5 yrs old)-- she's the great great granddam of my youngest baby, Sonya. She was tracking cert'd at 10.5 yrs old, but I didn't end up finishing her TD. She had a CDX and JH though! -Anne

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
114 Posts
Coopie,

He looks like a very nice field bred lab. Not sure why others would think he is a mix, especially since he has AKC papers.

Tatyana,
It is always nice to see a show lab that looks like they can do a days work in the field. Very Nice!

Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts