Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post.

My husband and I are the proud parents of a nearly-10 weeks old black lab girl named Maisy. We picked her up 8 days ago, and I must admit I just wasn't prepared. I've been so scared something will happen to her, or we're not doing it right, or she's sick or something, or or or. I bet you can tell I don't have children!

Anyway, she's the most beautiful girl in the world (in my opinion haha)! She sleeps in her crate and no longer even wimpers at night - we just let her out twice, otherwise she sleeps through till 7am. We are able to leave her home an hour or two and I don't think she is barking anymore... at least she is sleeping happily when I come home. She sits and drops (with food treats of course)!

Anyway, I just wanted to say hi. I have lots and lots of questions about whether I'm doing everything right, and about is she ok, but I don't want to sound nuts in my first post, so will go have a read around and see if the answers are already here for me.

Take care,
Terri

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Welcome to you and Maisy!! I am the mom to 2 chocolate girls-Java is 1 year old and Moka is 6 months old. Java is my good girl, Moka is my troublemaker...lol. Moka is recovering from a broken leg right now and she just recently ate her 6 foot long leash. You have to keep your eye on these little pups every second!!
Please post pics!! We NEED pics of little Maisy!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
For the most part, dog care isn't rocket science. They need fresh air,good food,clean water and excerise. Worrying isn't among the necessities. Just let her be a dog! They like to play and sleep...and eat.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thankyou very much for the warm welcomes. I have left Maisy home for two and a half hours this morning while I'm at work, and I'm trying not to think I'm a bad mother. I know it's all in my head. Maisy was happily eating her Kong, lying in her crate, plenty of safe toys, water and newspaper... she didn't seem concerned at all! And, I walked her this morning, and did a few sits/drops, so it's not exactly like she's being ignored. Oh my, listen to me justifying myself, lol!

Ok, I'll try to post some pictures. I hope I do it ok... I'm not sure if there are restrictions here for photos. If I get it wrong, please delete!

Here is Maisy at 8 1/2 weeks.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Cute pup! Thanks for the nice pix.

You may want to not give her water while she's in the crate--and we limit the water after about 7pm for Buddy (10 weeks), so its easier for him to hold his bladder overnight while in the crate. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thankyou! Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. She's actually locked in the kitchen with her crate open. The kitchen is safe, we've removed anything she can hurt herself on, and there is newspaper by the back door. Do you think that's ok?

·
Registered
955 Posts
I'm new on here today too. No worries about being "one of those Mom's". I have had lots of dogs before and I'm sure my breeder (she's on here) would tell you that I emailed quite a few questions. Murphy is now 18 months old and I still have lots. Good luck with your new puppy and have fun. It does fly by fast. =)

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Maisy has the most sweet expression....what an adorable little girl..... and your pictures are amazing! Can't wait to see more.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Everyone :)

Murphsmom - I have a friend who trains dogs and also has a lab - every time I see her I pull a list out questions out of my pocket, she doesn't seem to mind!

Deanna - I use a Nikon D90, the lens I'm using here is a Nikkor 105mm Macro f2.8. Photography is a hobby of mine, but I'm having difficulty with black dog, low light. I took probably 100 shots to get those few.

Terri

·
Registered
161 Posts
Just my 2 cents on leaving your pup in the kitchen...I once had a dog (poodle, not lab) that chose to remove my wallpaper by grabbing a corner and backing up. When I came home from work, I was surprised at the sight. Since then, I'm in favor of a crate until a little older. My first one lab, Duncan, died at the age of 10. He was my buddy and had been there for me through lots of stuff. What a guy. When he was a pup, he managed to eat a popsicle stick and it passed through, whole. Amazing. I now have Simon who is almost 3 and I will be bringing home a new pup in a couple weeks. I think he will be named 'Miles'. This site is a great resource and I will be checking in regularly. Give your labs a hug!

·
Registered
26 Posts
She is beautiful!
I'm exactly the same. Any sound that comes out of my dog, im all over it.
watch some of the dog whisperer with cesar millan online.
he has helped me out so so much!
good luck!

Steph

1 - 20 of 20 Posts