Just Labradors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a multi pet household...two adult sibling cats and our lab Guinness (3yrs). Guinness and our older cats get along famously as our cats were raised by a dog to begin with. Our daughter has just brought home a new 8 week old kitten. The kitten has been in her room for a couple of days and we brought him out in a cat carrier for a safe introduction to everyone. He hissed and spit a little at our female cat, a little more with our male shy cat and A LOT at the dog. Guinness (the dog) was quite curious but startled by the hissing and did a bit of growling. Anyone have any advice on this and how they handled it to make the transition smoother?

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
I agree. Just make sure that the kitty has a place to hide where the dog can't get it ;)

It will take a few days, if not longer, for them all to be acquainted... but once the kitty gets to know everyone, it should be fine. Unfortunately it's not an overnight thing

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies! We are so nervous to let the kitty out...kind of afraid that the big dog will play way to rough! Also...kitty has claws! Our other two cats came to us declawed so would they be at a disadvantage? Oh my gosh...I can just imagine the bedlam that will be around here! What was I thinking when I said yes! :eek:

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
I think it might HELP that the kitten has claws, more so for the dog. When/if the dog goes after kitty, kitty can scratch at it and eventually the dog will learn not to mess with the kitty cos it hurts!

Abbey and my kitty play all the time.. kitty will run up to Abbey and bite her ear or tail, then Abbey will chase the cat. It's a game. :)

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
no the claws thing is not unfair to the adult cats - keep kittens nails short (good training for later in life anyhow) and the older cats will be able to warn kitten away with attitude, body language hisses and spits if need be (or a whck upside the head)
we have a tiny kitten for the first time in many years and it's an interesting dynamic - she has lots of bolt holes if the dogs get too rough for her and I don't ever leave her unsupervised with them ... but everybody is having fun overall

1 - 6 of 6 Posts