Just Labradors banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son actually turned 16 a few weeks ago, but with golf tournaments, baseball games, and vacation he finally was able to take his driving test today . . . and passed. Happy for him, but wow it is scary to think he is able to venture out on his own. :eek:

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Good luck! We we're actually pretty strict with our kids and driving- they knew it was not a "right" it was a privilege and one that could be taken away as easily as they got it! We were lucky no big problems, hope it works the same with you and your son. Oh and our #1 rule and the law I beleave the law here is , no driving with anyone but a family member for the first 6 months! Kids are too easily distracted to be driving with friends, at least IMO.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Whew! I remember when my son got his license and that butterfly feeling the first day he pulled out of the driveway solo! Thankfully he didn't live up to any of my fears, and we all survived until he went off to college.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He will not be allowed to transport any friends for a while. Michigan has a graduated drivers license, and they really don't get their full/un-restricted (Level 3 license) until they are 17. He has had his Level 1 license (ability to drive with my husband and I) since he was 14 yrs 9mo. Level 2 allows him to drive alone, but it makes me nervous. It doesn't make me nervous because he is reckless; his nickname is Safety Sam.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
They have to be 17 over here to begin lessons, I think the graduated licence and the 6 months with a family member is an excellent idea.

Over here we limit the engine size on motorbikes to certain ages, driving experience, but with a car a 17 yr old could pass their test on their 17th birthday and then drive on the motorway/freeway in a Ferrari an hour later...madness!

Congrats to your son ~:)

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
He will not be allowed to transport any friends for a while. Michigan has a graduated drivers license, and they really don't get their full/un-restricted (Level 3 license) until they are 17. He has had his Level 1 license (ability to drive with my husband and I) since he was 14 yrs 9mo. Level 2 allows him to drive alone, but it makes me nervous. It doesn't make me nervous because he is reckless; his nickname is Safety Sam.
Glad to hear he is a safe driver. Good work, Mom and Dad!

It's the other idiots out there you have to worry about, because he does not yet have the reflexes, skills, and adaptabiloity that comes with years behind the wheel. Say a prayer to keep him safe every time he ventures out.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
17 in NJ to get a license and it has lots of restrictions on it. Given how challenging it is to drive here, they should probably be 23.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I feel your pain. My nephew just got his a few weeks ago. He is restricted to driving with only one really good friend who is in his class at school but skipped a grade so he cannot drive for 1 1/2 years yet. We trust both boys to use their heads. As he has no siblings Marcus is as close as they come. They have been best buddies for 8 years.

He is restricted to 3 miles from home without permission. He has his own car as I gave him my 97 Saturn SL2. The 3 miles gets him to school, Target, several game stores a huge mall with 14 different movies are shown and every major fast food chain. He is allowed past the limit if he gets permission from his parents, myself or grandparents. He knows if 1 has told him no and he goes to another person his car will be pulled.

I think living in a major city the limit makes sense. We don't want him driving in rush hour or freeway traffic.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
DD is 18 and has been driving a year. I trust her and she seems to use her head. She has not gone and had the restrictions taken off her licence so she follows those rules (mainly 1 non-family member in the car at a time). DS is 17, could of gotten his licence in Feb. but...We wouldn't let him as his grades at that point sucked! He passed all his clases at the end of the year so, when he is done with his summer job (middle of August) we will schedule his driving test. Then I will be a wreck each and every time he takes the car!

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
One other thing we did was made them pay at least a part of their car insurance, gave them a little more incentive to "pay attention"! Glad to hear your son is a safe driver, it makes it a little easier, but its still a worry.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
DW1 got her permit a couple of weeks ago. We've been alternating taking her out, with the duty falling to whichever one of us hasn't chewed his/her fingernails down to the quick from the prior outing....

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
They have to be 17 over here to begin lessons, I think the graduated licence and the 6 months with a family member is an excellent idea.

Over here we limit the engine size on motorbikes to certain ages, driving experience, but with a car a 17 yr old could pass their test on their 17th birthday and then drive on the motorway/freeway in a Ferrari an hour later...madness!

Congrats to your son ~:)
I was a member of the under seventeens driving club growing up in England. As long as you can reach the pedals you can join. It was excellent and I learned so many skills including driving at a race circuit. When I turned 17 I passed my test after a few lessons.

I agree the driving test in England needs to include the motorway. However, the test in England is much more comprehensive and definitely harder that what they have here. The examination in the U.S. needs a drastic improvement. My test over here consisted of a simple multiple choice test (you can memorize the answers before hand) and a 5 minute drive around the block. On the day of my driving test I drove round the block and had a chat with the woman testing me. It was over so quickly and didnt feel like a test.

Another problem I see over here is irresponsible parents letting there 16 yr old drive cars that they cannot handle such as a 5.0 V8 mustang which they picked up cheap. There are way too many accidents involving teens.

Props to the OP and all the other responsible parents on this board. :)

- Dave

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am praying that he will be fine. He did drive himself to a golf tournament this morning (5 miles away), and made it without incident :). He is not allowed to leave the city limits without one of us with him, and is not allowed to drive on the highway alone. When we were laying out the rules, I just kept picturing him driving to the edge of town . . . turning around and driving to the other edge. :D

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
DW1 got her permit a couple of weeks ago. We've been alternating taking her out, with the duty falling to whichever one of us hasn't chewed his/her fingernails down to the quick from the prior outing....
I know what you mean. When he got his permit it was scary, he just seemed like a little boy. He has been driving with his permit since he was 14 yrs 9 months, so he has had lots of practice in lots of different situations. In the beginning the jerky starts made me crazy, but he has really improved. When he initially got his permit we were the same size, and he didn't have to adjust anything in the car . . . now he gets in and has to move the seat back, adjust the mirrors, etc. It has been fun to watch him grow (physically and emotionally). :cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts