Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here in town. Good news right? Get this the notice about it said No treats, No toys and are you ready..........................................

No Running!
:eek:

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
What?!?!? :confused:

What knuckle-head decided those rules needed to apply to a DP? They are dogs, they chase each other, they run, they have toy they want you to throw.

:( :( :(

Talk about taking all the fun out of the DP!

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I am suprise that they didn't say leashes are mandatory....dogs run chase toys and I would much rather it be a ball or bumper than a branch and they will find something to eat believe me.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
That is abserd. How do you stop a group of dogs from running? That is like taking a group of children to the beach and telling them not to play in the sand. It just seems crazy, I would love to see someone try to stop a group of dogs from running.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Okay! Lets hope they mean no running by the humans.

All, or at least almost all of our dog parks say no toys or treats. It really is a good idea. But...

Depending on the size and layout, lots of people bring balls and chuckits if there is space and the useage allows. A few people will bring bumpers, but that generally does not last too long. The mojority of dogs are not retirenvers (behavior, not breed) and the toys are not returned and usually are quickly destroyed. Few bring any other toys. They cause trouble and its not a good idea. Tennis balls are great and there are usually quite a ew laying around. What you bring in, be prepared to not leave with.

Treats are not a good idea unless you are going at a time when the useage is low and you are specifically working on some specific training. These dogs all have noses and I can tell you who has treats in their pockets from quite a distance. It has something to do with noses attached to pockets and not necessarily the owners dog(s).

I would get in touch with whoever is the governing authority for the park. Parks department, City Council, County Board, Police, Animal Control. Find out what the rules really are and how strict they intend to be with enforcement.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
the running part must means humans; i would hope. I know some of the dog parks around here don't want you bringing treats in case someone has a food aggressive dog. Dog parks around here are not like the ones HK's dad has...unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
From experience I can say that treats and personal toys can sometimes be a problem especially the toy as that is a possession and the dog will react if another dog tries to take the toy. Our park provides a constant supply of tennis balls that are so generic no dog assumes ownership.
Treats are only a problem when other dogs, read Duke, sense that you have them, then you will look like the Pied Piper, only leading a pack of dogs.
As for the running rule, thats plain ridiculous. Thats the main reason for providing an off leash area. My guess is someone probably got knocked over by a careening pack. You do have to be alert at all times and brace yourself when you see a herd approaching. :D

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
I can completely understand why they would say no toys or treats.

but running?? they must mean the humans.

If not, why have a dog park?

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
From experience I can say that treats and personal toys can sometimes be a problem especially the toy as that is a possession and the dog will react if another dog tries to take the toy. Our park provides a constant supply of tennis balls that are so generic no dog assumes ownership.
Treats are only a problem when other dogs, read Duke, sense that you have them, then you will look like the Pied Piper, only leading a pack of dogs.
As for the running rule, thats plain ridiculous. Thats the main reason for providing an off leash area. My guess is someone probably got knocked over by a careening pack. You do have to be alert at all times and brace yourself when you see a herd approaching. :D
Walking the trails in some of our larger parks, to see 2-5 dogs running in a pack is not unusual. Its there park and you are on their trail. It is wise to step to the side and let them pass. Of course, occasionally they are coming from behind and if you have your ears turned off, you might end up like I did once. Felt the impact behind my knees, looked up and saw might feet, and had just enough time to think, 'I hope the landing doesn't hurt.' It happens. It is a dog park.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts