Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here at work I just received this message from our computer tech section so I can verify it's for real.
Be careful.

"There is a nasty new piece of rogue spyware threatening Internet users. It seems to be acquired by clicking on a link prompting/warning you about your antivirus program being out of date. When you click on the message, the rogue spyware infects your machine. You will know that you are infected if you navigate to Google’s home page, www.google.com, and see an advertisement for a product referencing “Antivirus 2009.” Please let me know if this has happened to you. The resolution is long and painful as it requires me to completely erase all data on your computer. If your computer is not infected, please be mindful of this warning as you are on the Internet. You will never need to update your antivirus software as I do that for you. Thanks."

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
We get those emails at work all the time. If you scroll all the way down to the bottom, it gives the "tech support" guy's name and address and it's somewhere like Nicaragua or Bolivia. Thank God, the Japanese guys never read emails in English or we'd have those viruses all over the network!

·
Registered
235 Posts
yeah, my roommate got it on her laptop.. a week and a half ago, and I'm still trying to get it off. It popped up on mine, but I managed to kill it before it installed it self. :)

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Bearsmom said:
yeah, my roommate got it on her laptop.. a week and a half ago, and I'm still trying to get it off. It popped up on mine, but I managed to kill it before it installed it self. :)
How did you do that?

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Dukesdad said:
You will know that you are infected if you navigate to Google’s home page, www.google.com, and see an advertisement for a product referencing “Antivirus 2009.”
Is there another way to tell if you have this virus?

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Not that I've noticed. SU said a screen with Antivirus 2009 and/or Antivirus 360 popped up a few days ago, but he said he closed the window and didn't do anything else.

I tried to do a scan with McAfee, but it won't run. I get a message saying to delete some AOL stuff in order to get McAfee to run.

So I ran Spyware Doctor (which I bought over a year ago when to remove Pest Trap and something else). It looked like I saw files with the type Trojan when it was scanning, but it went by so quickly I couldn't see the file names or anything and when it was done running, it didn't detect any infections.

·
Registered
235 Posts
my problem with the roomie's laptop is that it is blocking the Malwarebytes program..even in safe mood, after I have renamed it.. grrrr

oh, and for me getting it not to install, as soon as I saw the pop up for it I closed it, and ran the above program, plus spybot and Ad-Aware.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts