Just Labradors banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a recall for another mammogram, an ultrasound, and possible needle biopsy tomorrow morning. They assure me the biopsy, if needed, won't hurt. Excuse me, a needle shoved into my breast is not going to hurt? ::) Anyone had one that can rest my fears a bit?

·
Registered
546 Posts
No sorry i haven't personally but i do work for a medical scheme and i know that these are pretty common, i know that doesn't help you to know whether it will hurt or not but i'm sure it won't be that bad.

Hope everything is ok x

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
I had one about three years ago. You lay on a table your boob hangs through and they work under you. It didn't hurt. Then I had to go back and have a little "thingy" taken out. THAT was kind of weird and a little uncomfortable (they numbed me for that). But again...not that bad.
They gave me a rose too. :-\
I thought, "Boy if this doesn't scream-"she just had a boobectomy done", I don't know what does."

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
My MIL just had one and said it wasn't that bad.

Good luck Jackie. I hope it's nothing.

·
Registered
746 Posts
My wife does these everyday. She says it is not a bad procedure, but some people stress too much over it. It sounds like there is more discomfort than pain, but it is not a very long procedure. She says the best thing is to try to stay relaxed and not get too worked up about it ahead of time.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I had one when I was 27 (I'm 33 now). First they did an ultra sound to make sure it wasn't a fluid filled cyst. Once they determined it was solid, they did the biopsy. It isn't that bad. It hurt a little, not awful. It sounds worse than it is. For what it's worth, mine turned out to be a fibroadenoma (sp?) (which is benign), but I ended up having the lump removed. Good luck.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies and good wishes. :D I am trying not to stress over it. Will let you all know what the outcome is!

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
I've had them. Just try to relax. It is not terrible and is over quickly.

Sending good thoughts that all is ok.

(BTW - the one I had with laying on my stomach with them working underneath was not a needle biopsy. That was something else - can't recall the name.)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have also had a needle biopsy and I was very unnerved by the idea but it wasn't too bad. I actuall had to have a mamo so they could locate the spot and then insert the needle to pinpoint what needed to be boipsied (SP?). It didn't hurt much because that torture chamber that does the mamo almost numbed me. I understand that they do numb you now but I am not sure about that. What was really something was that I then had to wait around with this wire taped to my shoulder to go in for the biopsy. Good luck with your procedure. I hope all is well. Mom to Sophie and Sadie

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I had one where they went in between my large and small intestine, wasn't bad, but I was one a lot of morphine at the time, don't remember if it hurt though, I was kinda out of it.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
I will say that the procedure was less painful than the problem I was having at the time. In fact the issue I was having may have caused the breast to be hypersensitive because my procedure definitely hurt.

I had one done but I wasn't laying on my stomach. They did numb the area but only the outside is numbed...the deep tissue is not. When they clipped the sample for the biopsy the dr said "you're going to feel a little pressure now." ::) I just about levitated off the table. I should have known something was up because the nurse suddenly leaned over me and held my shoulders down when the dr said that as if on cue. If there is ever a next time, I plan to hold on to the drs testicles and give him the same amount of "pressure". ::) The needle part was not the problem. It was the cutting of the deep tissue for the sample that hurt like hell but again, my breast was already very sore so it may have been hypersensistive to the procedure.

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
Sorry you have to have the procedure, but it isn't painful. I have had several. The only procedure that caused me some discomfort was while being x-rayed they put a wire down through my breast so the surgeon could locate my breast tumor during surgery.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts