Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm SO tired of people that think just because you have a female, you should breed her. NOOOO!!! We have had a couple of people think we should breed Madison when she gets older.. "because she's such a pretty color" :eek: :mad: Well, to late. She's spayed! Sarah will also be spayed when she's old enough. I just talked earlier today with a lady that's a friend of hubby's family and told her that originally we had read up on breeding labs and it didn't take long to make the "NO" decision. She said that she bred her dog a few times and out of 10 pups only had 1 that was born with problems.... it was also a small poodle. She was making me feel like I should just let my girls have pups.....even if it's mixed with something. For one, we're so not even ready to go through that, financially, space, etc. And two.... I'm not going to bring a bunch of puppies into the world when there's already so many out there to adopt as it is. Yes, Madison is AKC but I've never sent in her registration... because it just doesn't matter. Why does doing the right thing make you feel like your crazy?? ::)

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Mads Mom said:
She said that she bred her dog a few times and out of 10 pups only had 1 that was born with problems.... it was also a small poodle.
That's 10%...way too high of odds for me. I'm sure that one pup didn't matter to her but I'm sure the pup felt differently.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
I get that alot too it frustrates me but I try to just shrug it off. I'll also tell people I volenteer at the Humane Society and see all the pups there and don't want to add to the problem.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
"because she's such a pretty color"
Yes, that's the BEST reason to breed your dog. ::)

I think doing the right thing makes us feel crazy because we seem to be a minority. It boggles the mind how many dog owners think their dog should be bred, with no consideration for the pet overpopulation or health concerns. I just don't get it.

I'm with you...it's maddening!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rottnlabs said:
That's 10%...way too high of odds for me. I'm sure that one pup didn't matter to her but I'm sure the pup felt differently.
I feel the same way. She said the pup was born with neck displacia and had to be put down at 4 yrs old...her friend had the dog and to do surgery was $2,000 with no gurantee it would help.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Oh, I know what you mean!! I was at the park with Haylee when two little girls came up to me and asked how old Haylee was, etc., etc. They said they had a male chocolate lab and her dad sent them over to see if I would like to breed Haylee with their dog! I was shocked. I said no, she is spayed and you shouldn't be breeding your dog, either!! I couldn't believe it!

B

·
0 Posts
If I were in your shoes, after reading Dani's post about Axel I'd print it out and take it to that lady and say "this is why I don't breed my dog. I wish more people would stop breeding their dogs so they don't end up like this."

I am still crying over that poor dog. Oy. :'(

·
Registered
60 Posts
If it's any consolation it happens all over the world the same. I'm from the other side of the pond (no, you'd never guess!!). It's up to us who care to make the public aware. Do pop into a lovely labbie forum based in the UK and have a read. www.labradorforums.co.uk Labbie lovers unite (but with no ties ;) ;D :) )!!!

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
BudGirl8 said:
If I were in your shoes, after reading Dani's post about Axel I'd print it out and take it to that lady and say "this is why I don't breed my dog. I wish more people would stop breeding their dogs so they don't end up like this."

Good idea, BudGirl

·
Registered
15 Posts
Uck, I see too many HEALTHY puppies every year get put to sleep at the shelter becuase A: the person who bred them decided they couldn't handle the responsibility or B:there were way too many puppies at the shelter, no one picked the little one in back with the crooked ear and so he gets put to sleep :'(. It's a horrible reality that some people just don't want to face because they think every dog needs to experience birth or that every home in the world has room for their puppies, no matter how the litter turns out.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BudGirl8 said:

I've seriously considered that..... multiple copies!! Even in our small community, you see puppies all the time in the paper for sale or free. Plus the ones in the pound or that are in foster homes awaiting adoption. Even my MIL thought we should breed Madison. She was here once and said... "are you sure you don't want to breed her?" I really had to bite my tongue!!! :eek: Hubby said "NO, we're not going to do it!". He couldn't believe his mom brought it up again.

We know we made the right decision and everyone we know that doesn't agree with us... well... they can just kiss off ;D ;)

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
rottnlabs said:
Mads Mom said:
She said that she bred her dog a few times and out of 10 pups only had 1 that was born with problems.... it was also a small poodle.
I believe the risk of having some sort of genetic problem (HD, ED, etc.) in Labs is higher than 10% on average...and yes I think even 10% odds are too high.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
I have had some ask me if I was going to breed Tal. Nope. he is neutered now, I never wanted to nor intended to.

I am alot more aware of how bad the pet overpopulation is now that I have him. I always knew it was bad but I had no idea really. Just because a dog has a nice coat, disposition, blah blah blah is no reason to breed.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Kinda off topic......

I love how many people I see are responsible with breeding dogs. Haha...if only the world was more careful when 'breeding' humans. Think about it. If we had people cleared for congenital defects before having kids, their would be less health problems in this world, don't ya think? Of course it will never happen. Totally unconstitutional to tell people whether or not they can have children.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts