Just Labradors banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I 've had my pup in my car only a few times, mostly just to take him to the vet. i have been just keeping him in the front seat while i hold him by the collar and drive with one hand. making turns are tough cause at those times he wants to get on my lap.
my vet is only a few blocks away and i don't drive on any busy streets with my pup in the car in case anyone thought i was being irresponsible. do i secure him with the seatbelt somehow?

TIA

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
There are seatbelts that you can buy at dog stores.

But what I do is use his harness (for safety you don't want to restrain them on the collar) and clip his leash to it - and tie the end on the seat belt (which I clip into place - like if someone were using it). I think this would be your cheapest alternative - just get a decent harness (which can be cheap as it's going to be small) and if you get one that adjust you can use it more than one month ;)

It is actually a very dangerous thing to do - driving around with a pup loose. You need to have both arms available to steer. All dogs in our cars that were not tied down nearly caused major accidents.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
We just went through this mess for Hershey Kisses. Target vehicle was an SUV.

(1) My 1st choice wazs just a cage type parrier separating the rear section from the rest of the car. Paid about $70. Problem is that Hershey can't make the jump in to the back from the ground yet and I have a bad back and injured it lifting her.
(2) My wife's choice was a harness made for this purpose, belted in the back seat, $40. Cannot find one in a size that will handle her now and ajust as she grows. We will have to buy a larger one in a month or two. PROBLEM: Hershey Kisses hates it and I can not restrain her enough to get it on her or attached tot he seat belt.
(3) Barrier made to close the gap between the two front seats, keeps Hershey in the back of the vehicle, and cover for the rear seat so that she does not scratch through the material. (Total cost ~$80). Most rear seat is folded closed. She has the harder surface or roamoing room in the rear most part of the vehicle, softer bench seat to lay on if the is her desire. SHe cannot getto front seats and try to get in my lap or at the steering wheel. She can't interfere with the driver, but has no restraint or real protection for herself. This is a compromise.

That is our experience. THe guys at Petsmart doesn't like me because we bought and returned the first two when they didn't work out.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
When Henry was little, he rode in his crate, in the backseat of our car. When he outgrew the crate that would fit into our car, he graduated to a harness that clipped into the same anchor point you would attach a child's carseat to.

I've never had a problem with him getting tangled, and I do keep the tether short... it's just long enough for him to sit up and lay down comfortably.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Whatever method you choose you don't want your dog in the front seat. If your car has an airbag and it is needed in all likelyhood the airbag will kill your dog.
Olie

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
henrysmom said:
When Henry was little, he rode in his crate, in the backseat of our car. When he outgrew the crate that would fit into our car, he graduated to a harness that clipped into the same anchor point you would attach a child's carseat to.

I've never had a problem with him getting tangled, and I do keep the tether short... it's just long enough for him to sit up and lay down comfortably.
ditto! (minus the crate part)

I use an adjustable "doggie seatbelt" with Baloo (he's 11 1/2 weeks), and have from day one. I found that if it is fitted properly with just the right amount of tether length (like henrysmom said) then he doesn't get tangled. However, being a puppy, if the harness part is a little too loose, or the tether a little too long, Baloo will get himself hopelessly twisted. (learned that one the hard way.... had to pull over... wasn't pretty!  ;D)

But if it is the right fit/length, no problems!

hope that helps!

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Yikes. That sounds like an awfully dangerous way of transporting a pup. Not just the fact he is loose in the front seat but you are actually holding his collar while driving. Anyway, I am very glad you have chosen to address this. I suggest exactly what the others have said -- crate probably being the safest and then a doggy seatbelt or metal barrier restraint in the back. I use a barrier which works well for us.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I tried the barrier between the front seats, but Ellie just chews on it, seatbelts, doors, etc. We ended up going with a crate for her safety and ours!

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Crate in the back... With all the side and front air bags, a dog will be killed in minor collision. I can't tell you how many times I had a dog or 2 w/ me that I had someone pull out in front of me, etc, and was so relieved to just hear a little thump on the side of the crate. Had they been loose, they could fly up into me and cause a worse accident. I personally don't like the seat belts but they are better than nothing at all. -Anne

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
black storm dog said:
what about all the dogs you see with their heads out the windows of cars enjoying the breeze in their face.
This is an interesting topic for me.

We tried a harness for Hershey Kisses, 5 months. It was inpossible to get it on her, and then attached to the seat melt. I gavu and went to a barrier to keep her out of my lap when driving. The bask windows are open enough for her to get her muzzle out, but not her head. I am satisfied with this solution for the SUV. She will not cause an accident, can't get out when the car is moving, and I take my chances that I drive well enough to avoid accidents that may injure her.

But we have a convertible that is my favorite car when the weather is right. I wanted to take her for a ride in it, but figring out how to contain her was a challenge. We settle on my wife holding her by her leash in the back seat for a few rides around the meighborhood. She really liked that to the point when we go out throught he garage, she sits and the door to the convertible waiting to het in. Instead of dashing out to take her leak.

I decided to try the harness again. We bought it and tried to put it on her. Absolutely not!!! Then we took her out to the converrtible. My wife got in the back with her, and tried to put the harness on. She sat there, cooperating with anything she was asked to do. We went for the ride. She can't get to the 'windows'. Basically she can lay or sit in the center of the seat. She seems to like it. We have gone through the harnessing exercise gour times now. NO! in the house before we go out. Do whatever we want with it once she is sitting in the convertible. I have given up triying to get the harness on her in the house.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
then what about the dogs you see riding in the backs of pick-ups who seem to be loving the ride ? ;D or what about the dogs you see riding in boats unsecured ? :p

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
then what about the dogs you see riding in the backs of pick-ups who seem to be loving the ride ? or what about the dogs you see riding in boats unsecured ?
Even bigger idiots. :)

In all seriousness, they may well be "loving the ride" but that doesn't make it safe, does it? you wouldn't let your children ride in the back of your pickup truck or on a boat without a lifejacket so why let your dog? it is a senseless risk.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i was only kidding. i would never do anything to jeopardize my pups safety. i will probably try using the harness attached to the child seat latch once my pup gets a little bigger so i am not buying a harness that he will outgrow in a month

1 - 17 of 17 Posts