Just Labradors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the latest update. We're at the wait and see stage...
http://www.justlabradors.com/forum/index.php/topic,44592.0.html

Update: I called the newest vet hospital in town. I haven't used their services because they aren't that close to my house and they've only been open for about 2 years, but they *are*affiliated with the UC Davis Veterinary School, so I felt more comfortable dealing with them. It was pretty cool - they do a phone consultation with the vet before you bring them in, and they thought that since she ate a bit, was wagging her tail, and not vocalizing any pain, that she could wait to see our own vet tomorrow. They said that I could bring her in if it seemed like she was in a lot of pain, but that I could continue with the aspirin at home. So I guess that we will take it hour by hour. At least they weren't like the other place - "Bring her right in! We'll do x-rays and blood work!" Everytime that I have used them I felt that they overtreated my dogs. And of course, there's the time that I had to take Carly in after she was hit and killed by a car. The vet tech came out to the waiting room and asked me if I was "the lady with the dead dog". :mad: :mad: :mad: That still makes me so angry to think about. (Hence my reluctance to take anyone there, even in an emergency!)

Thanks again, everyone, for your concern.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mia (my mutt) refuses to put any weight on her left leg as of about 11:00 last night.

She went for a short run with my daughter in the morning, spent a good part of the afternoon in her crate because we were gone, was let out for dinner by the sitter (but I have no idea if she ran around much - you never know with her), then she was crated until we got home at about 9:00. I let her out of the crate - she was fine. I went out to potty them - she was fine. Came upstairs to catch up on email - she was fine. Got into bed and she started hopping around like old peg leg.

So here's my question - emergency vet tomorrow or wait for my beloved vet on Monday? She doesn't seem to be in pain, although I gave her some aspirin anyway. I don't really trust the emergency vet - but only because I don't really know them. I just assume that they would try to take advantage of the situation. I'd prefer to wait until Monday, but I feel guilty making her wait if she's in pain. Of course, I'm assuming the worst - ACL tear - so is there anything that they could do for her anyway?

What would you do?

Edited to add her age (thanks Dawn!) and suspected "breed". She's about 7 or 8 years old. It's our best guess as she was abandoned and we adopted her through rescue. She appears to be some type of a sheltie/cattle dog mix.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,419 Posts
Re: Need the board's opinion (NLR)

If it were me, and she showed no pain, I would wait till Monday morning.

Melissa
;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,115 Posts
Re: Need the board's opinion (NLR)

How old is she? If she's a young pup, I would say maybe
growing pains can't think of what they call it I haven't had
my morning coffee yet. If not then I'm not sure, rest her
as much as possible and see how she is. Emergency vets are
usually super expensive so I would rest and call vet Monday
morning unless of course it gets super worse.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,913 Posts
Re: Need the board's opinion (NLR)

If it was serious wouldn't she be showing signs before 11:00pm? I don't know. Maybe she tore a muscle. I think if she is in pain and still limping in such an obvious way today (Sunday) I would take her to the emergency vets. Otherwise, if the limp is sporadic and she appears to be feeling ok, I'd wait until Monday.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,926 Posts
Re: Need the board's opinion (NLR)

I know you would take her if she was in pain other wise I would wait until Monday.
Hope is it just a sprain and nothing serious.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,586 Posts
Re: Need the board's opinion (NLR)

No advice beyond what has been offered, just wanted to say I hope the Mia Pet is feeling better today :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
Re: Need the board's opinion (NLR)

Keep her restricted and wait for your vet. As long as you don't let her do crazy stuff, no harm will be done. She might just have tweaked something.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,079 Posts
Re: Need the board's opinion (NLR)

Sending good thoughts for Mia. I hope she is okay.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Need the board's opinion (NLR)

I think that we're going to take her in anyway. My SU noticed that there is some swelling on the inside of her hind leg (I'm not really sure about that and she's so furry that you can't see anything), but she didn't eat much this morning, and if anything she seems to be more uncomfortable. I'm hoping that they can at least give her some pain medication.

Thanks for all of the concern, and of course, I'll update everyone when we have more information. :)
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top