Just Labradors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay here's the situation.

Phoenix is an EXTREMELY picky eater. I was a picky eater as a kid, he's autistic and he has sensory issues. Which have gotten a bit better. He use to puke if he touched certain things. Like a noodle from chicken noodle soup would make him throw up. Now when he tries new things after MUCH coaxing, threats and cheers, he will gag and ALMOST throw up or puke his whole dinner over my kitchen table.

Shane is a vegan which means NO animal by products of ANY kind, and HE is a picky eater as well, ie he's stubborn. I have to shove fruits and veggies down his throat.

I am a vegetarian so no meat for me. I love my veggies and my fruit and lots of other things. Funny how I use to be so picky and now I'm the least picky one.

Ever meal I fix I am essentially preparing THREE meals, this is getting old and makes me not enjoy cooking as much, and I love to cook for my family usually.

Any suggestions on this situation? I don't want to make Phoenix a veggie, I believe that is a choice he himself has to make if he wants to. I can easily see him making this choice when he gets a bit older. He had to do a project on his favorite animal for school last year. He chose the tiger and he had to put it's dietary needs in a diorama...I asked him what do they eat. He replies MEAT! and I said okay you need to put some meat in there, like a deer. He stared at me in disbelief and said "WHAT?!" I told him the tiger eats the deer. He looked at me and said "I want my tiger to be a vegetarian!" The only meat Phoenix really eats is chicken, with an occasional McDonalds cheeseburger now and then. SO I can see him making that choice but I feel it is a choice he should make himself.

So anyway thoughts? comments? suggestions?

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
What about a dish that combines the best of the meat-eaters world (namely, savory taste) with the health bennies of a vegan diet? I'm thinking vegetable chili or something like that??

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
If Phoenix has sensory issues with food he should be offered at each meal (a pain I know) soft, crunchy, sweet, salty and chewy. After him eating (or at least being offered, try for 3 to start with) each of these tastes and texures for 60 days you "should" see a decrease in the gagging. As for not cooking 3 meals a night...well what I do is my 3 kids (18,17 and 10) have one night a week that they plan and cook a meal. I tell them that they have to try to have to include each of the food groups and something the picky (my 10 yr old) eaters will eat. We have baked beans most nights (it is 11 yr olds fav) and the kids seem more willing to try new things if they cook it or at the very least come up with the idea to fix it. We have been doing this for 5 years and it works most weeks. Oldest is not a big meat eater so we have lots of veggie burgers, salads and veggie casserols. The middle loves fish so we have had fish that I didn't even know excisted! He loves to shop with me and often picks lots of fresh fruit. We sit together every sunday and make the shopping list for the week and I do the shopping. If someone isn't home and it is their night to cook I do the cooking and I cook what is on the menu.

Good luck!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I agree with having your son involved with meal prep. Find some age appropriate cook books and have fun planning a meal together.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
I would cook ONE meal. And have an acceptable alternative for those who do not wish to eat it. Say a pb & j.
So you either eat what I cook or you have pb & j sandwich. (or whatever simple alternative is acceptable) And no snacks later in the evening if dinner is not eaten. (except maybe a piece of fruit)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts