Just Labradors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Homer will have his elbows surgery in a couple of weeks and I´m supposed to keep him calm for two months... I will have to separate my dogs since they play rough (poor pups, that is breaking my heart) and Homer will not be allowed to run.

I was thinking about building some type of kennel to keep him in a small confined space (he´s never been crated, but lived in a kennel for a couple of months when he went to doggie school). Any ideas on adequate size and hight of the fence? I was planning on leaving the dog house for him to sleep on.

Currently my dogs are left free in my fully fenced garage with access to a large service area. I was thinking about building the kennel inside the service area so he´s always under cover and could still be besides Misha (of course she´ll be outside the kennel). My other option is completely separating them and building the kennel on my yard in the back, but would have to also build a shelter from the rain (well the dog house could be the shelter).

What would you do? you think I should keep them totally separate?

During the night I´m planning to let them sleep together with me beside me bed, just as they currently do (they don´t play and I can watch them)

Sorry for the long post

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
My only concern about your idea is that he'll still be able to bounce and romp around in the kennel, especially with another dog out and about. Honestly, your best bet would be to crate him.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Depending on what his activity level is supposed to be during recovery, I agree with the crating. Most orthopedic surgeries require them to be quieter than a kennel would allow. Skippy went into a large crate in our living room, and he had never been crated. He did fine, and the large crate in our living room became the coveted place to be for both dogs. If you have a couple of weeks, then you can get him used to it. Put it in a place where he can be with you the most, put his bed in it and feed in treats in it. Let the door open for now so he can go in and out. Never use it as punishment..

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

I have a large (Great Dane Size) crate that my brother used when he brought his Golden Retriever from Argentina, and he doesn´t use it anymore.

Homer loves the dog house, so I don´t think he would have trouble getting used to a crate. It´s me the one that has the problem leaving the poor boy inside it , but I guess if I build the kennel he will be bouncing around it... (he actually bounces like tigger!)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts