Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister's dog has an injury to his leg (ligament) and she can't afford the $800 surgery to get it fixed. I suggested she contact the rescue where they got him. He is a sweet boy and Zoe's best friend. She is considering putting him down because she doesn't want him to be in pain. She crates him during the day to rest it. He has meds but they are a tad expensive for her. I wish I could afford to pay for it myself. I would be willing to help but not pay the whole bill. I contacted the rescue this morning. Any ideas? We are in SE Michigan.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Rescue is the best bet.. i'm facing the same problem with Koda in a month but $800 is cheap for that kind of surgery..

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Pmt plan worked out w/the vet? I'm sure given the current economy that those type of requests are going to increase.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
If they've had the dog that long then i doubt it'll be a rescue responsibility.. your best best is payment plan or care credit.

Putting a dog down for lack of $800 shouldn't be an option.

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If they've had the dog that long then i doubt it'll be a rescue responsibility.. your best best is payment plan or care credit.

I agree. Her divorce has killed her financially and she has 3 kids.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Exactly. $800 is pretty cheap for that surgery. I don't see why the vet wouldn't accept payments. I'm still paying for Macy's spay from January.

How old is the dog? Meanwhile, I see a huge family resemblance in your neice! :)

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Exactly. $800 is pretty cheap for that surgery. I don't see why the vet wouldn't accept payments. I'm still paying for Macy's spay from January.

How old is the dog? Meanwhile, I see a huge family resemblance in your neice! :)
Riley is 7ish. I emailed her the info. She hasn't replied back yet. I will help her with it. She has a lot of attorney bills because of her ex is why she is having money problems. $800 is a lot to her right now.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Does she realize it's expensive to put them down as well? I think we paid $350 for Sammy four years ago. :(

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I'm sorry.. i didn't mean to imply she'd better pay, or else.. but perhaps rather than just putting him down, she could find a rescue that would take him, pay for the surgery and have someone else take him.. i'd hate to see him put down just because she couldn't pay for the surgery.

It hits a bit close to home with me.. koda's previous owners had made that same decision.

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm sorry.. i didn't mean to imply she'd better pay, or else.. but perhaps rather than just putting him down, she could find a rescue that would take him, pay for the surgery and have someone else take him.. i'd hate to see him put down just because she couldn't pay for the surgery.

It hits a bit close to home with me.. koda's previous owners had made that same decision.
You know I would try to talk my husband into letting us take him if it came to that. I always said if they couldn't keep him I would take him. My husband doesn't care for him though because he is a houligan.... He gets in the garbage and basically gets in a lot of trouble.

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
HEY!! PAM!! All I own are houligans! We resemble that remark here!

Hope she can find her way thru it - sometimes during or directly after a divorce, it just seems like ONE MORE THING...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts