Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Updated: Need some prayers for Moose

UPDATE: The blood and urinalysis came back negative, however the vet did say some of his levels were slightly elevated which he believes just points to a gastrointestinal virus of some kind. Moose is doing much better but will be taking him in on Saturday for 1 more dose of fluids to be on the safe side. He is eating and keeping the food down and his eyes have been much brighter and I even got a few head tilts, but he is still very slow in his movements. He made one barking pass at the door and that seemed to suck what energy he had in him out - he has been sleeping pretty much the rest of the time. Thanks so much for the prayers and good thoughts. I have taken him off of the Dermaxx to be safe. His swelling is down from the surgery so I don't think it is necessary for now.

Moose had his surgery on his elbow a week ago. As a result he is confined to 1st floor to minimize jumping and stairs. Everything has been going great until last night when he started vomiting. He definately vomited up something other than food, but with everything I had to clean up I just didn't spend too much time figuring out what it might be - now I wish I had.

This morning he seemed better so I fed him, but I was dropping my son off at the beach at 6am so I was out the door right after feeding - he definately showed his hunger when I did feed him.

SU calls me later to ask how Moose was when I left and to let me know he was looking pretty bad. It isn't unusual for Moose to eat socks, get sick like this. I usually have to take him in, they give him fluids, I bring him home and he poops out the other sock and is fine. But this time it isn't the same. I'm so busy at work, but it kept nagging at me so I come home and sure enough he had thrown up breakfast plus some and he is hardly moving.

I call the vet and they squeeze me in. He is dehydrated so they keep him to run an IV of fluids and take xrays and a blood test. Xrays come clean - no obstructions or aspirations from vomiting. They tell me I can pick him up after 8:30 pm. After $700 we come home and he looks pretty much the same as when I took him. He barely moves and is definately in a bad way.

They send home medicine for nausea and want me to give him Pepcid AC. Moose won't have anything to do with food or water -

Blood tests won't be back until tomorrow - I just don't have any idea what it could be. He is taking Dermaxx for inflamation from the surgery and that could have some ill affects - but I wouldn't think it would be this drastic. He looks like he has had food poisoning.

I'm just so worried. I brought my work computer home so will telework tomorrow so I'll be here. Because he can't be upstairs with us I guess I'll be couching it tonight - I'm too afraid to leave him alone.

We could really use some prayers and good thoughts that this isn't something serious.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Prayers that Moose is okay

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Will definately be keeping Moose in my thoughts. Sorry to hear he is not doing well. I hate it when they can't eat.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Moose is in my thoughts and I will be sending healing vibes to him. {{hugs}}

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
my thoughts and prayers are w you and Moose. I pray he makes a speedy recovery and that it is nothing serious.

p.s. www.klove.com click on ministy and then prayer, for added prayer for your pup:)

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Hope you find out what is bothering Moose and it is easily fixed.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Good thoughts headed your way. How is he this morning?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
If he's no better quickly, please have them revisit the obstruction issue. We lost our old chessie on Easter Sunday with a glove he'd eaten (among other soft things) that didn't show up on an X-ray. He wasn't showing typical obstruction symptoms either but on exploratory surgery they found all this "stuff". Unfortunately he'd been sick so long, his intestines were damaged and we lost him to peritonitis. I don't want to scare you but better safe than sorry I think.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
oh sharon; how horrible for all of you. is this the first time he has taken deramaxx? sending prayers for him now!!!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts