Just Labradors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it a really big job to re-sod? The majority of our sprinkler heads were failing and we finally got around last weekend to replacing all of them and they now work great. But as a result our lawn looks like it hasn't had water. The garden area's have done fine, but I'd really like to fix the front lawn. It isn't very big - probably just a 60x40 area (I think).

Has anyone ever done this themselves? I've read up on what needs to be done, but I'm curious as to just how hard it is to do and if we really should rent a rototiller?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and suggestions!

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
Well our neighbors down the street sodded their yard themselves about 2 weeks ago. It took them all day. They did the front and the back and I think they were all drunk by the time they were done. If it's not too big of a job it should be too bad. Remember the sod has to be layed the day it's delivered and watered right away. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Sunjin (luke in georga) just resoded. You might want to PM her.

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
For the past few years I've worked for my friend who started a landscaping business, and I'm working part-time for him this summer and we just laid about 1,500 yards of sod the other day, but it's a job we regularly do every year. It really is a pretty simple job in that it doesn't take much thought process (it's pretty repetitive), but if you've got a lot to lay it can get a little hard on the back. If you don't have a lot to do, it's easily a one day job, likely a half-day. If you really like straight lines (important for the first few months when the seems are still visible), take a string and paint over it with a can of spray paint (marker paint) and run a line all the way across the area where you're laying so that you have a straight line starting off. That way, you're butting the next rows up against it, and you shouldn't get crooked.

Just make sure you water the heck out of it for the first 10-days, and then you can start cutting back. It depends on who you talk to, but I've heard that a light coat of fertilizer is good - other's say don't do it. Personally, if you do decide to fertilize, I would not go with a strong one at all, I'm always afraid of it burning the new grass.

Another tip is to start at the crack of dawn if you can get them to deliver it that early. It's really hard on it when you lay it during the heat of the day, but sometimes you can't avoid that. If that's the case, make sure you water the dirt before laying it down to cool it off a bit, and start putting water on the sod as soon as it's down. It really doesn't take much to shock it or kill it especially when it's hot.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great tips Nick - thanks. It really isn't a big job because the front is more driveway than anything. Sounds like the prep work is the biggest and I suppose we could do that over a few weeks and then be ready when we get the sod delivered.

I still need to price sod but I can't believe it would be too much!

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
That's true, if you do a good job prepping, the actual laying of sod goes by quickly. I guess I didn't include that in the timeframe, that can take a full day in itself for an average lawn if you have to dig up a lot.

For smaller lawns, we've run a tiller over the dirt after the old grass was removed and it seems to help the roots take quicker.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts