Just Labradors banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We took Boone to the vet today and she suggested that Boone have his teeth cleaned sometime soon. He has very mild tarter on his back teeth and she believes that we can get by doing it every 2-3 years.

My question is--Who has had there dogs teeth cleaned and what did it cost ? We got an estimate of $350-400. They will put him out to do it and that is the major part of the fee.

We want to do it but right now money is scarce and are wondering if it could just wait for awhile.

Besides the teeth issue he is wonderfully healthy and the vet was very pleased with his weight and overall appearance.

TIA

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
How old is he? Could you try raw marrow bones to clean up the teeth? We brush every week here. Mild tartar isn't something I'd put my dogs out for...

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
How old is Boone(just curious)?

I was thinking I would have to pay for dental cleaning and was actually concidering switching to Raw as Guthrie's gums were starting to look really red and he was getting some discolored areas on his teeth. I ended up seeing a bag of rawhide VERY cheap at Costco and thought it might be worth a try. I would never recommend rawhide unsupervised as I think it can be very dangerous but it HAS worked. I let him chew it while I hold onto the end of it. Five minutes a day and his teeth/gums are looking great.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Boone is 5. I think I may try the rawhide and the marrow bones. He hasn't had any of those for quite awhile. We have tried to brush but he won't have anything to do with that. Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
i agree about using the marrow bones. works wonders and my guys have beautiful teeth; even the 14 year old little guy.
also, february is dental month at vet offices and they usually offer discounts, if you are still thinking of doing it then.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Puff had the scaling done 2 years ago and then again just last week.

It was more urgent for her because our vet also saw 2 premolars with fractures and those teeth either needed to be extracted if the fractures were too deep or patched if not too deep.

The general anesthesia at KSU's CollVetMed Tchng Hospl, scaling, X-rays and repair of 2 cracked teeth ran about $400 ([email protected] for the fractured teeth repairs; extractions would have been about $100 @, IIRC). I find K-State's vet bills run less than that of most local general practictioners.

They suggest a repeat in 2 years.

If you live in an area where a Coll or Schl of VetMed is available to you, it might be something worth considering.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
I use the raw marrow bones and occasional dental chews, they are like raw hides and I get them at Pet Smart from the vet clinic. Last vet check the vet said her teeth looked great, so I guess I'll keep it up. Hope it helps mister Boone! Di

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Derby fractured his molar on marrow bones and had to have it removed to the tune of $500. He now gets raw turkey necks, frozen. I get them at Winco. I don't do dental sticks because a lot of them have wheat and no dental chews because they scare me about choking.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Also, if you want to do rawhides, make sure they are American rawhide. So many are made in other countries and preserved in who knows what.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Huckle fractured a molar too....probably marrow bone related. It was a difficult extraction and was expensive as well. BUT.... his teeth were sparkling white!

Guthrie does not seem to like to chew on hard stuff. The couple times I gave him a marrow bone he chewed it like a real sissy! The way he chews marrow bones there is no way he would crack a tooth but it certainly wasn't going to clean his teeth either.

Editted to add...Costco has american rawhide but some of hide on the rolled tubes are on the thin/brittle side. Not great but Ok for the price.

I think I might try out the turkey neck option as well!

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Abbey just turned 2 in April and she broke a tooth and had to have it removed. While she was under, they did a quick cleaning (for free) on a couple of her back teeth that had a tiny bit of tartar.. but I brush her teeth a few times a week and she also gets marrow bones and other chews that I think help a lot.

A lot of the cost is the anesthesia. I think with Abbey's it was $125 for an hour, and then if it takes longer, they add more in 15 minute increments.

Do you know if they quoted you any extractions (just in case) in that?

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Derby fractured his molar on marrow bones and had to have it removed to the tune of $500. He now gets raw turkey necks, frozen. I get them at Winco. I don't do dental sticks because a lot of them have wheat and no dental chews because they scare me about choking.
Never thought of turkey necks, might need to pick some up. Sammi has never had trouble with the marrow bones, but it is a concern. Maybe I'll switch her before there is an issue, thxs.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Bauer gets marrow bones, the occasional rawhide, and loves his Nylabones. I brush his teeth a few times a week (and have since he came home). He is only 18 months old, but he has the whitest teeth I have ever seen. The vet commented on them the last time I took him in. He asked if I had bleached his teeth :D (he was kidding of course). If it is just some mild tartar I would try other things before putting him under.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
In addition to marrow bones, try knuckle bones. They tend to have more cartilage (softer and does not crack teeth) and being larger and more irregularly shaped, your dog may be able to get it to the back of his mouth/teeth. My 11 year old has never had a speck of tater on her teeth because of the knuckle bones (bought at any pet store).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts