Just Labradors banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Parker has always been dog aggressive. I'm not sure if he wants to hurt other dogs or if he's trying to play. He will grab them by the neck and try to shake them. The whole time his tail is wagging.

Now this. Our next door neighbor's girlfriend moved in with him a couple of week ago. She has a little fluff ball poodle named Charlie. Charlie of course is out in their yard sometimes and Parker just goes nutso. Jumping back and forth, wagging his tail, barking etc. When Parker is out, Charlie stays in his own yard. Last week though my daughter said Charlie was in the front yard roaming around by himself, just sniffing. On Saturday morning the dogs were having a fit in front of the LR window (it is a low picture window). They would not let up. I went down and low and behold Charlie is on the porch, nose to nose with them at the window. He continues to go back and forth on the porch, looking in, barking. Then he has the nerve to lift his leg and whiz on one of the bushes. Finally the girlfriend comes around and shoos him over their yard. She was not happy he was there.

Is there a way I can peacefully introduce Charlie to Parker so if he comes in the yard when he's out there's no trouble. Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
11 Posts
Joe is also dog aggressive when he doesn't know the dog. The way I introduce him to a dog I want to socialize him with is to keep both dogs on a lead so that you can control their "space". First I have my husband (or anyone else) hold Joe's lead and I walk up to the other dog, kneel down, and interact with the other dog so that Joe knows I think this dog is "good" and not an "enemy". Then I go back to Joe and let him smell the dog's scent on me all the while talking about what a good dog the other dog is (and using the other dog's name). Then the other owner and I let the dogs get close enough to each other to do some sniffing, but not so close that we can't pull them back quickly at any sign of aggression. We continue this for as long as it takes to get at least a tentative friendly dog posturing, then let them close enough for full body contact keeping a very close eye on their body language so that we can pull them back if needed. Depending on the other dog's personality, this may take awhile or it may take only a few minutes. Once it appears that they are going to be OK, we'll walk around together and let them play while still holding onto the leads. When it is apparent that everything is fine, we'll finally let them off lead and control them verbally as needed. The last step may take more than one meeting, and it is still a good idea to let them meet another time or two while initially meeting up still on lead until you're sure they remember that they were "friends" before. I've used this routine for years with mine and I've been able to socialize Joe with any dog I've needed to. You may need to make some variations based on your situation and the dogs involved, but I'm sure you'll be able to do what you need to with Parker and Charlie by working together with Charlie's mom. Oh - one last very important note - make sure that there is nothing in the area that either dog would be possesive with - toys, sticks, bones, etc. That is a sure fire way to undo any progress you've made!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.