Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently put us back on the on-base housing list because they are raising our rent to over $1000/mth. The thing is the base just made a new regulation that NO PITBULLS are allowed..not even mixes. We rescued Jake so we don't know if/or what he is mixed with. Numerous people have told me that he looks like he is mixed with a pitbull. He has to be examined by the Vet on base before we can move in. What do you all think? Also..he is 7 months right now. TIA!!

Attachments

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
He looks enough like a Lab that you could probably get an limited registration on him from the AKC. That should shut them up.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
I'd think boxer/lab, too. People are all too ready to say ANY dog "looks like there's some pit in there somewhere". I've heard it about my dogs (one of whom is most definitely purebred) and neither of whom look anything except all lab.

Tell the vet that your best guess (based on the rescue, etc etc) is boxer/lab. If there's any question, would you consider running one of those DNA tests? Not the best but it might convince the base.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not against getting a DNA test done..I guess if they harp on me about it I will have to. the reason they are doing this is because a guest brought a pitbull on base and the pitbull ended up killing a little boy. :( So I understand why they are doing it, but it makes it so hard to even have an animal. And I just know how many people are going to bring their pits to a shelter now, and I just hope they go to no-kill shelters!

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
what do your current vet records say? bring those records to the new vet as well (I don't know about calling him a boxer/lab, up in supposedly pitbull-free Ontario we have TONS of boxer-labs all of a sudden ;)

He's 100% adorable , that's what he is.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
He looks enough like a Lab that you could probably get an limited registration on him from the AKC. That should shut them up.
It's not limited registration, it's call an ILP number. You fill out the form, take some photos, get your vet to sign off that the animal is de-sexed and that the vet thinks it looks full lab, and they issue you a number and a certificate. I would try that for sure.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
He doesn't look much like a Lab at all. Definitely a mixed breed and I don't think AKC would issue an ILP on him.

I could see where someone would say he had pitbull in him.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Jake is definately a cute yellow dog no matter who his "parents" are. I do understand that the military bases are seriously concerned for the residents. The Air Force has a huge list of dogs that they consider to be "possibly dangerous". Thankfully we have only had bite issues here in southern NM. I think if Jake is calm, well behaved and shows no aggressiveness when the base vet examines him you will probably be fine. Be sure to always have him on leash and under control when you walk him on base. I don't know if you have a dog park where you are but here that is the only place you can let the dogs off leash on the base. They also have to be licensed and registered with the base security through the vet clinic. Good luck! He is a sweetie.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I would tell them he´s a lab and end of the story, he has the color and the coat, only the face looks different but I bet the landlord is not a breed judge.

In anycase he doesn´t look like a pitbull either so you can say its whatever mix suits you.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I don't see the pit...no broad face...legs too long and no pit stance coat doesn't look pit nor do the ears. I would tell them he is a Heinz 57. Does he have the large powerful jaw of a pit bull? If not you are probably safe. The picture you posted appears that his jaw is much narrower tan a pit bull.

I would make sure you tire him out before you take him to the vet. The calmer he is the less they will look for anything.

I can understand why they are cracking down on pits on base. I know we had a child air ambulance transported into our trauma center for a pit attack last year at Luke. My childhood dog was attacked by a pit at Luke AFB many years ago our neighbor saw it happen and took after him with a baseball bat we didn't report it as the owner swore he would supervise it when outside at all times. But the owner again put him out on a chain he broke again (no fences at that time) and he bit a child my father reported what had happened to Pepper and he had picutres and vet records.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
I don't see the pit...no broad face...legs too long and no pit stance coat doesn't look pit nor do the ears. I would tell them he is a Heinz 57. Does he have the large powerful jaw of a pit bull? If not you are probably safe. The picture you posted appears that his jaw is much narrower tan a pit bull.
I agree, I don't see pit either. I work for a software company that has a government contract, and I was allowed on a base last week with a WAY expired passport (name didn't even match) with no questions asked (accidentally took my old passport). A co-worker was passed through with her husband's passport (also on accident). :eek: Maybe they don't check as closely as they say they do. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
I don't see any pit either. He certainly doesn't have the "cheeks" for it - and we see a lot of them in Philadelphia! He also looks to have way too much coat for a pit. I think a lot of people see the smaller, higher set floppy ears and immediately think pit - but in reality there are lots of breeds that have higher set ears that aren't pit bulls.

I would try to get an ILP and have your vet be sure he's listed as a lab mix on his records. Good luck :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.