Just Labradors banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Molly was fine the day we brought Penny home, but on Tuesday Penny started to go under Molly and bite at her (we think she may be looking for food...not sure), but anyway she did this while Molly was eating and now Molly will simply growl at the puppy for no reason, and she gets very intense while she's eating (won't listen to commands, growls etc..) Today she growled when I touched her back when she was eating.

Is this something I should be worried about, is it something that I should correct? (I assume that it is, but I'm not sure how to go about the correction aspect)

The vet guesses Penny is about 6 weeks old, so it's hard to get her attention and keep it once she finishes her food. Should I just remove her completely? She has her leash on while she eats.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Not sure but I would crate Penny while Molly eats and make sure Molly sees her being crated. If it continues I would hand feed Molly for a while.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Yea, what Danie said. Better yet, crate her in a separate room altogether while they're eating. Oh, and I'm thinking Penny going under Molly and biting her was her just trying to play?

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure but I would crate Penny while Molly eats and make sure Molly sees her being crated. If it continues I would hand feed Molly for a while.
That was my first thought.

I did get her to obey a "leave it" this morning and I picked the bowl up but she was almost finished eating. I did finish the meal feeding her by hand (it was probably a handful of food), and the whole time I was petting her and grabbing at her legs. She didn't do anything after the initial growl (it was a low growl), my first thought after she growled was she thought it was Penny since she didn't do it after I made a correction "ah!" sort of noise.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
The arrival of a puppy for an adult dog can be kind of distressing. I think you should keep doing what you are doing and she'll likely settle down a bit when she is more accustomed to having the puppy around.

·
Registered
167 Posts
IF you aren't already do so, I would feed Molly first and than Penny afterward sometimes dogs feel threaten that they would loose their place in the "pack" and try and defend their spot in the pack, that could also be the issue not just the food issue. So feed Molly first every day, including any treats, give her some extra quality time with you to make her feel she isn't being replaced with the younger puppy.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
I would guess Molly's just telling Penny to back off of her food. She's probably feeling a little bit nervous with all the change of a new puppy. Personally, I wouldn't reprimand her at all. I'd hand-feed her, or let her eat with Penny crated and just walk by occasionally and drop little delicious tidbits in her bowl (humans by bowl = very good things happening).

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Yeah, I agree. I think Molly is telling Penny to get out of there cos it's her food. Abbey does the same thing - gives a warning growl to Toby if he tries to come steal her food. It's never progressed more than that, simply a warning.

If I were you, I would feed them in separate rooms and pick up their bowls as soon as they are finished. That way it can't happen again. :)

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I knew you all could help me and make me feel better!

Molly and I went for a car ride today and then to the park for a little bit, I think she very much enjoyed her alone time :D

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Yeah, Stacey, that was probably good for her. :) It sounds like Penny is already attached to Molly and Molly's kind of sick of it. ;) As others have said, it's stressful for the older ones to have a little thing clinging on them all the time and biting and nipping.

Hopefully they will sort things out soon. I'm sure all three of your girls will be getting along in no time!

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Puppy needs to be out of the picture when Molly's eating. Once the pup is old enough to be trained, you will have to watch and train her to mind her own bowl. Molly's doing nothing wrong, so don't set up the situation for a failure for her.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Puppy needs to be out of the picture when Molly's eating. Once the pup is old enough to be trained, you will have to watch and train her to mind her own bowl. Molly's doing nothing wrong, so don't set up the situation for a failure for her.
Ditto, I wouldn't correct her at all, opt instead to circumvent the situation by making sure Penny is out of the picture at mealtime. Having a pup jumping at her and bugging her while she's eating is a stressful thing, I don't blame her for being upset. ;)

My guys will lick out each other's bowls when they're done, but they know that harassing while the other is still eating is a big no-no, and even if one finishes before the other they'll wait. So for now I'd remove puppy, but as she gets older you can work at teaching her mealtime manners. :)

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
What Danie said. I have to get Quinn out right away after she eats or she'll go looking for someone else's food and Shanny and Libby do not like it and will growl.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So tonight at dinner I gave the girls their dinner as usual, Abby first then Molly and then Penny. I fed her in the doorway with the gate up and as soon as she was finished we came into the living room and she chewed her nylabone. It worked perfect! Molly didn't growl at me when I touched her or when I dropped a piece of cheese in her bowl :)

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Great news :)

(Jake's a sucker for the cheese too)

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Haha! Jess, Molly is an absolute sucker when it comes to cheese. She hears the wrapper and comes running.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts