Just Labradors banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What can I stuff my pup's Kong with, that will keep her occupied for a long time? I'm looking for something healthy, all natural and low fat, and possibly something I could freeze. I read in here something about putting baby food in a Kong, as long as it doesn't have onion powder. Anybody else try this? Thanks!

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
A favorite in my house is yogurt and banana. Smear a few teaspoons of natural yogurt around the edges of the Kong and fill it with banana. You can also chuck anything else you have going spare in there -- bits of fruit, veg, treats, kibble. Anything healthy. Then seal both holes with natural peanut butter.

Make sure if you stuff the Kong full with goodies to reduce the puppies meals accordingly.

I think baby food is a great idea providing you read the ingredients through and everything checks out.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I agree with Trickter. Also, sometimes you could put little bit of Apple sauce (natural unsweetened). I usually fill the kong with some apple sauce, little bit of banana, and little bit of yogurt and sometimes I put a little bit of peanut butter to hold it inside the kong. I freeze it overnight - I am sure it takes quite a while to get it out :laugh:

·
Registered
621 Posts
I put some frozen cut green beans in the bottom, fill with plain yogurt, then top off with peanut butter and freeze.

Sometimes I use applesauce in place of yogurt.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
When you say "all natural yogurt" I am assuming PLAIN yogurt? Sounds yummy! She will love it I'm sure.
Yes. A favorite at my house is Greek organic vanilla and honey yogurt. Spoilt? nah. ;)

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
I was just reading this and wondering, all this sounds awesome and yummy, but does it make a big mess? (we have mostly carpet)

If it does, Is there anything that doesn't make a big mess? If not I'm gonna try it anyways.. screw the carpet! That and Peanut would devote herself heart and mind to clean up I'm sure.. food clean up is her Favourite job!! ;D ;D ::)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Piper usually chews and licks away at his with enough gusto that it doesn't make a mess. I give him a yogurt/kibble mix in the kong (frozen) and don't have any problems. I do have all hard flooring, though, so it was lower risk for me to try it out!

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
I tried a couple of these things, but I think I started a a too-high level of difficulty! (I put a little peanut butter at both ends, stuffed with plain yogurt and carrots and froze.. she couldn't get the carrots out, and I actually had a hard time as well!)

No I just do the peanut butter and yogurt, and she loves it! thanks for the ideas guys! (and peanut thanks you too!)

·
Registered
449 Posts
Anyone know if the Kong paste is too hard on a puppy? Harlee is 8 weeks old and I would like to give her the Kong but I dont want to upset her stomach.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I start out with the best treat - sometimes it's leftover steak bits, sometimes it's salmon, etc. I stuff this in the very bottom. (Sometimes requires persistent poking with a knife to get it all in tight)

Then I layer with kibble.

Then I chop up bananas and squish them inside. I put a bit more kibble in and then smother the top with peanut butter. THen I dip the peanut butter end back in the kibble so it sticks on the outside. I put a dab on the small hole end.

He loves it. Keeps him busy for at least an hour after I leave.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts