Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FWIW, I WON'T do Kenmore or Whirlpool ever again. My house is only 4 1/2 years old and all of my Kenmore appliances have problems. I think Sears has gone cheap (even though Whirlpool manufacturers). My Dad has high end appliances and has the same issues and won't do Kenmore (he warned me LOL). Anyways, I am really sad because we were going to use our tax and bonus $ to pay off our car (want to be totally out of debt) and now this stuff happens. Thanks to Kenmore we are NOW going to have to replace an appliance a year (or that's the trend now). My dishwasher's racks have completely rusted, the light wash button doesn't work on the front panel, and NOW the motor went (Loud noise and spewing water everywhere, including the basement that I JUST cleaned head to toe grrrrrrrrr). It cannot be used now, the other stuff I could deal with but the motor is $300 to replace (part is $200 alone) sooooo we decided to replace the POS 4 1/2 year old dishwasher,as it only cost around $300.

So here is my problem. I have white appliances. When we built the house (not modern, very traditional farm house) we didn't want stainless. I hear that stainless is going completely out of style. I always loved Maple cabinets so we have a warm maple cabinet (lighter than cherry and darker than blonde). Anyways, do I stick with white? I know we are going to replace allllll of these appliances. What do I buy? I have a budget but I don't want to be cheap and buy another POS. I guess I'd like to stay under $600 (is that posible and get quality?). Again, we really, REALLY want to pay the car off...debt free is important but we also do NOT want to have this problem again in 5 years. Would you stick with white? I'd really love a white with some accents but I have only seen a really nice white one with a stainless bar and it was Kenmore (NOPE).

Any recommendations? What do you have that you like? I told DH that I would love to go buy an original old dishwasher because the apppliances they used to make actually lasted!

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Three years ago we did a reno and put in a brand new kitchen. I bought all top of the line Maytag appliances. So far the stove has had to be repaired three times as the same burner has burned out three times. The refrigerator has had to be repaired twice. I would never buy Maytag again. I trusted the name.

I have a soft maple cabinets and bought black appliances. Real PIA to keep clean from dust.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
I have a Kitchen aid Dishwasher that came with the house. I'm guessing it is at least 8 years old. It is the black finish (we have light maple Kraftmaid cabinets as well) Anyways I had to replace the pump motor 3 weeks ago and I bought the motor for $135.00 and it took me an hour to install. Why I chose to repair versus replace is this particular model has an all stainless steel interior. I looked at Bosch, GE Profile series, and a few other brands and to be quite honest to get any model line with stainless interior is expensive. I would recommend the SS interior as I never get the odor I have gotten from plastic interiors.

Sadly appliances suck for lifespan these days. If you get 8 years out of an $800.00 diswasher its a $100.00 per year. If you only get 4 years out of a $400.00 dishwasher its still $100 per year. I don't know if spending more than what you really need is woth it.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
We bought Whirlpools almost 4 years ago and haven't had a single problem with them - refrigerator, stove and dishwasher. However, at the time, we also bought a GE over-the-range microwave because it was cheaper than the Whirlpool version and it died within a year and a half.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
If I were buying new and money wasn't an object, I would buy Jenn-Air. Miele second, or Bosch.
The Bosch stuff is nice. I had a Jenn-Air gas cook top in my old house and loved it. When I get around to redoing this kitchen I plan on installing three under cabinet coolers, a minimum 5 burner or Jenn- air cook top and a double wall oven. Hopefully the money will be there for what I want. We finally made the decision to stay in our current house for quite awhile so I won't mind spending a few extra bucks.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Where are you located?

We bought a Miele dishwasher this past fall. Very happy with it so far.
I am in west Michigan.

Also, my Dad said that Costco is a great place to buy appliances at. I looked and they only had Whirlpool. I do like the dishwasher they offer but scared of the brand. I think what you are all saying is that they ALL break pretty quickly and I won't ever be getting 20 years out of an appliance. My Dad mentioned that Costco is awesome at returns and he has returned things from 4 years ago. So, maybe I will go with the Whirlpool.

Nancy, thank you for sharing your experience too. Maybe I am being to harsh with Sears stuff. The hard thing I had with Sears is that the warranty is made for someone who stays in their home 24/7. They have the WORST service and either don't show up, or show up many hours late (no way could I do that with a job). I was so pissed off at them when I was trying to help my Dad get ALL of his new appliances fixed that I called corporate and told them to go to a place down south. When they DID finally show up they didn't have any parts to fix ANY of the appliances.

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
Lots of people love LG. We have a GW dishwasher that was included with our house. Put house was brand new. It is so loud we can hear it at night in our bedroom. We have a Whirlpool stove, fridge (7 years old) and washer and dryers. Never had a problem with any of them. The ice maker broke on the fridge but that's not a huge deal, we just keep forgetting to get the part. I haven't heard that stainless is gong out. Our appliances are white also. I would prefer stainless but I can't even imagine the fingerprints!

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I keep hearing that stainless is going out of style. A lot of homes still have them. Maybe I should stick with white. I like black but our kitchen is small and I fear it would make it look too small? Maybe I am wrong. I am with you on the fingerprints. I think that would make me bonkers. Lucas LOVES to help load and play with the dishwasher, I'd be cleaning it every day LOL

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
I have a mish-mosh of brands, mostly because they came with the house. They worked & I wasn't about to gripe.

I have Whirlpool Washer, a GE Range, a Maytag Dishwasher & a GE Refrigerator. The Range is relatively new (6 years) & no issues with it. The Washer, also about 6 years aold, has had some issues, nothing huge. I am currently awaiting the repair guys to install the new drive motor for the tub. That will be the most expensive repair to date on it.

My new dryer & refrigerator are being delivered tomorrow. Both are GE.

I would have loved to get the high-end stuff (Kitchen-Aid, Bosche or Paykel-Fisher), but the $$$ is just not there.

I wasn't aware stainless is going out of style. I love stainless. My range is black with stainless & my new refrigerator is the same. The plus to the refrigerator the doors are "Clean-Steel" & are supposed to resist fingerprints, smudges & stuff.

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
Julie - when we bought our house in November, we were told - by several appliance sales and several repair people - that the average life of home appliances is now dummied down to 6 to 7 years...no matter the brand. Planned obsolence! I went with GE - not GE profile due to costs - had a small issue immediately repaired under warrenty with ice in door fridge...and love them all. Would have liked to go VIKING for cooking and Whirlpool for w/d, but am happy with the costs, color (white!!) and the response we've gotten on all thus far (granted only 3.5 mo old!) BTW - stainless is supposedly on it's way out and is not worth the extra $$ in my opinion...is the sink white or stainless? does that matter to you?

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
My Whirpool appliances have not been a problem for me. The fridge is around 7 years old and the dishwasher is less than a year, but so far it's fine. My range is kenmore (whirlpool), same age as the fridge and no issues.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
I still think my stainless are so pretty - even if they are out. =) Buy what you like, unless you plan to move soon, and don't worry about what's in or out.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
I had Maytag dishwashers and washing machines and dryers for many years until they were bought out. They'd served me well.

But when a Maytag DW that I'd put in 15 yrs earlier bit the dust about 4 years ago, I put in a top of the line Whirlpool. Quietest DW I've ever not heard. It cleans very well, 3 spray units, but I don't like the racks as well for loading. But, all in all, I'd buy another -- hope not for 10 more years.

When my old Maytag washing machine conked out, I replaced it with a Frigidaire (made by Electrolux) front loader. I think top loaders are far more convenient but don't doubt the greater efficiency of the front loaders.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.