Just Labradors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this phobia about putting air in my car tires. I can use the pressure gauge without falling apart, but I have this ridiculous dread that if I actually go to put air in the tire(s) I am going to let out all the air that's already in them (it) and I'll end up with one wheel sitting on its rim. That, or I'll put so much air in the tire it will explode right there on the spot. And then the cops will come. And there will be a ticket for disturbing the peace or wreckless endangerment or some such nightmare.

Tips? Anyone? Someone hold my hand through this?

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Can't help you - I also have a fear of putting air in tires - but it is completely justified - I almost always let more air out than I put in. I WILL hold your hand though, and laugh with you while you do it:)

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Go to a tire place, like Discount Tire if you have them there, and have someone show you. Here, they check the air in your tires and put air in if needed when you take your car in for an oil change.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Drive the Paddy Wagon up here and I'll show you how, in fact I even know a few stations who still have free air.:D

BTW most of these "shove quarters in them" air pumps today I don't think could "blow up a tire." Bareley will fill up my pick-up tires.

As for lettin' it out, just push it on real hard, you'll do fine. Larua has a good sugestion though.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I can tell you what Bob does when he checks ours- lol
There is a sticker inside our car doors that tells what the tire pressure should be for that car. Bob has a tire pressure thing that he puts on the tires to see how much air is in them and it will tell you if they need more. We have a compresser thing he uses to fill them if they need to be filled. But I would think if you took it to any tire place they could also hold your hand and walk you through it like Laura said.

·
Registered
16,476 Posts
I can tell you what Bob does when he checks ours- lol
There is a sticker inside our car doors that tells what the tire pressure should be for that car. Bob has a tire pressure thing that he puts on the tires to see how much air is in them and it will tell you if they need more. We have a compresser thing he uses to fill them if they need to be filled. But I would think if you took it to any tire place they could also hold your hand and walk you through it like Laura said.
What Dawn said...and I have a cool digital tire gauge thingie

google accutire...there are several models :)

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, guys. I have a digital gauge and can use it. Have used it. But I think I'll take Laura's advice and have the tire store guy watch me air up the first time.

·
Registered
740 Posts
From my experiences putting air in tires, I am pretty sure you can't let all the air out just by removing the valve stem cover. You actually have to press down on that inner valve (like you do to check tire pressure) to let any air escape. That being said, to check your tire pressure, take the caps off the valve stems and stick the end of the tire pressure gauge (cheap and available at most service stations) into the valve stem quickly. The whilte stick will shoot out and that is your pressure. Check that against what it says in your manual or inside the driver's side door. Hope that helps. I'm not sure what your level of expertise is, so to speak, so I went very basic on ya. Good luck:)

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
If you don't hear a hisssssssssssssssssssing noise when you apply the air supply hose you are not letting air out. You will get a whoossssssssssss hollow sound when air is going in. I don't know how well they work but I have seen valve stem caps that are under $20 and screw right into your valve stem and they tell you your tire pressure at a glance so you can walk around the car and see if you need to add air.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
If you don't hear a hisssssssssssssssssssing noise when you apply the air supply hose you are not letting air out. You will get a whoossssssssssss hollow sound when air is going in. I don't know how well they work but I have seen valve stem caps that are under $20 and screw right into your valve stem and they tell you your tire pressure at a glance so you can walk around the car and see if you need to add air.

They are a joke, road grime can make them very inaccurate and they tend to leak often.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
They are a joke, road grime can make them very inaccurate and they tend to leak often.
Nance, do what I do - pray you are doing it right!

I had a leaky tire that I would have to add air to every so often. My van has sensors in the tires so it tells me when one is low. I found one station where the air pump was fairly reliably, and tried to use that one whenever I needed to add air. If I pushed the hose thingie all the way down on the valve stem and held it there, I could see the tire getting full.

Or, wait until there's a man in the station and ask for help. ;) I'm not above doing that.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
I got tired of having to pay .25 or more to ait up my tires. I got an air compressor for car tires at Sears. You set the gauge on the tire pressure you want, plug into the cigarette lighter, and it clamps on the valve stem like a bicycle tire. You have to let the car run, and the compressor automatically shuts off when the set pressure is reached!

Besides, I can air up the tires at home before ever leaving so no chance of heat buildup.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Yeah, when did they start charging for air? One of my tires has just started leaking and I was aghast that I had to pay 75 cents.
Depends on the station, most the free air I know of are places that have car washes and also need a compressor or one of the full service stations that do tire work and mechanical work. Compressors can be expensive so they don't buy one if it ain't gonna make money. Those coin ones are most often operated by other companies and the station allows them the space so they do have air for customers.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
G'day,

For what its worth, filling your tyres with air isn't as hard in practice or scary as it might seem, but there's an art to doing it right (Or so it seems down here).
Half the time we've got dodgy pumps that almost let out as much air as they put in, and its a fine line to getting it right (Then letting the staff know that the hose is shot).

For what its worth though, if you put in too much air (And you've REALLY got to be trying to go this far) a ticket from the police will be the last of your concerns. A tyre with too much air in it will simply explode which usually leaves the person with serious injuries.
Its VERY rare that it happens, and you've got to be putting in stupid amounts of air to make it happen. So long as you keep the pressure to say 40psi at the most, you'll have nothing to worry about (Unless the tyre is rated to hold 35, then things get interesting)

At the end of the day though, its just as easy to get someone else to help if you're worried about it.

Cheers,

Pottsie

·
Banned
2,041 Posts
Find some young stud to do it for ya . lol

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Nance don't be afraid.....use the guage to see what the pressure is.........look to see what pressure is suppose to be...........and slowly inflate and then recheck with guage again........I have done it....... I always worry about the tire exploding........but it won't.........just inflate slowly and keep rechecking pressure.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
I hate putting air in the tires. Something about putting my lips on that icky stem just makes me shiver.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts