Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He's not allowed in the back yard anymore unless he's on the 50 foot lead because he has learned how to barrell his way under any part of the fence. I thought he was OK to let out when we had 18 inches of snow, but I looked out and he was digging the snow away. Of course he was waaaaay in the back of the yard. By the time I grabbed the lead and ran back there, he had his head under. He heard me and quickly came back in, thank God.

I hate this. With the lead he gets wrapped around things...twice yesterday he got his back foot caught up in it. Thankfully I was there and helped him right away. Note: he is never on the lead unless I am out there with him. He gives me this pitiful look with those gorgeous eyes like "Why can't I run around with Macy and Tucker?" :frown:

Any ideas on how to train him to stay in the yard? My husbands idiot friend suggested an ecollar as a one time thing to scare him away from the edge. I don't think I like that idea though. My husband said he can get those tie down things, but Frankie is one stong boy and I don't think they will work.

Oh, another note. The reason he wants out of the yard is to eat up any tasty morsels my idiot neighbor tosses out in his yard. I'm serious. He throws everything over his deck....steak bones, ham bones, mussel shells, lobster, fish carcai, you name it. :mad2: Yea, I've tried to talk to him, he doesn't give a ****. Even if he did and stopped throwing things out there, Frankie will want to go check it out anyway.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
We've got a neighbor like that w/a Husky. She is WICKED smart and would escape w/her littermate brother under the fence. She was bright enough to romp around the neighborhood and figure out how to get back in the yard, no-harm, no-foul. Her less-than-sharp brother could never quite figure out how to get back in, and on a Halloween night about 3 yrs ago, he paid for that ignorance w/his life. Was hit and killed.

She hasn't been the same since. She won't go anywhere near the fence now. All these years later, she is morose and brooding, clearly still mourning the loss.

I'm afraid the answers are pretty expensive. You can **try** railroad ties anchored to the ground, running the perimeter of where the fence meets the ground, using grommets or bolts to attach the chain link to the wood. Or maybe a channel of concrete, with footers in it, that the existing fence can be attached to??

Not sure what else to suggest. Hard to rely on a recall w/so many goodies on the other side of the fence (isn't that a health hazard? Can't you call the twp commissioners or something to stop this biohazard smorgasbord at the edge of your property? Hell, I'd probably lie and say I saw RATS back there -- NESTS AND NESTS of them.... with red beady eyes and salivating choppers...)

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Dan, I remember the story about the Huskies. It breaks my heart to read it again. :(

Our yard is effed up. We have water all around us (creeks on both sides, river out front), and there are HUGE boulders surrounding my entire yard and it's totally uneven. This is why we couldn't go with a wooden fence, darnit. This is also why the railroad ties and concrete wouldn't be an option either.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Well, with water all around, the LAST thing you want is an electric fence!!!

Sadly, then, the best thing may be for Frankie to stay on the longline. Clearly the tieout is a crummy idea, too. Maybe someone else has faced a similar problem.

Even so, I'd still call the twp about those MONSTER, KILLER, DISEASED RATS!!!!!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wasn't talking about an electric fence. Don't they make just a collar that you put on the dog and you can give him a quick buzz with a remote?
I might take your advice about the rats!!!!

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
I wasn't talking about an electric fence. Don't they make just a collar that you put on the dog and you can give him a quick buzz with a remote?
Yes.

I was confused and thought you meant a traditional elec fence.

Might be worth a try......

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But I don't want to hurt my boy. *sigh*

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Hmm that's a hard one. I would be tempted to tattle on your neighbor's nasty habit. I can't imagine that smells very good in the heat of the summer! :puke:

The e-collar might work for him. Do you have a trainer that you normally use who might be able to help you learn how to do it properly and train Frankie to it as well?

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you have a trainer that you normally use who might be able to help you learn how to do it properly and train Frankie to it as well?
No I don't, but I'll find one.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
I'm not a fan of the e-collars but I can see why in this case it might be the least of all evils, and possibly very effective with proper training and use. Better than escaping. And maybe also better than the long lead forever.

I'd definitely be calling about the rats. Chances are they're really there even if you haven't actually seen them.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
Amy, I was going to suggest a concrete footer like Dan did, but since that's not an option, you mentioned huge boulders? Why don't you put those all around the perimeter on the inside of the fence. Frankie surely couldn't dig under them. You know the huge ones that weigh a couple of ton. He wouldn't be able to go around or under.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There's no way to move them, and no where for a machine to get in. :(

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The boulders in this pic are very small in comparison to the ones outside of the fence.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Oh, GOOD [email protected] idiot neighbor!

Maybe you should campaign to get that fixed first, because I can't think of what you can do that's going to trump steak bones on the other side of the fence. :(

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
because I can't think of what you can do that's going to trump steak bones on the other side of the fence.
Right?!
*sigh*

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
The E-collars that you may recall seeing in hunting pics of Cappy and Remi are made by Sport Dog. I've had three different brands over the years including the arguably best one, Tri-Tronics. I ended up buying Sport Dogs and have used them for five years now exclusively. They also make an "electric fence" model that might be perfect for your needs. Take a look here ... http://www.discount-pet-superstore.com/outdoor/sportdog_inground_fence.htm

An e-collar requires full time watching so that you can send a remote stimulation when a correction is needed. No good for out-of-sight or night time situations. Let me know if you need or want more info, I know the folks and Sport Dog and can send you to the right peple there.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
We have an electric fence because I couldn't keep Bauer out of the pond, and we have 3.5 acres to fence in (the pond is 7 acres). I held the collar in my hand and crossed the fence myself before I put it on him, and it didn't hurt. It was surprising, like a little electrical shock. Originally we had it set on the lowest setting, and he got zapped a couple of times , but learned real quick what the flags meant and didn't go near them. SU was convinced that we didn't need to turn the fence on anymore because Bauer knew to stay in the yard, but it didn't take long for him to figure out that the fence was off (which I would be afraid of with the e-collar) We keep it on now, but keep it on vibrate. If he gets too close to the boundry, it vibrates and he steps back. With an electric fence, you don't have to bury the wire, you can wind it through your existing fence.

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
The E-collars that you may recall seeing in hunting pics of Cappy and Remi are made by Sport Dog. I've had three different brands over the years including the arguably best one, Tri-Tronics. I ended up buying Sport Dogs and have used them for five years now exclusively. They also make an "electric fence" model that might be perfect for your needs. Take a look here ... http://www.discount-pet-superstore.com/outdoor/sportdog_inground_fence.htm

An e-collar requires full time watching so that you can send a remote stimulation when a correction is needed. No good for out-of-sight or night time situations. Let me know if you need or want more info, I know the folks and Sport Dog and can send you to the right peple there.
That is the collar DH used to train Sadie...he only had to "tingle" her a few times. You don't have to hurt them there are settings on the collar.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
With an electric fence, you don't have to bury the wire, you can wind it through your existing fence.
That wouldn't work, we flood often. :(

1 - 20 of 32 Posts