Just Labradors banner

Need Help PLEASE! Is anyone around?! (long'ish)

3K views 34 replies 20 participants last post by  Clanceycanuck 
#1 · (Edited)
Need Help PLEASE! Is anyone around?! (updated)

Something is up with Molly, and I have no idea what. I'm going to piece together a time line to see if anyone has suggestions. She was fine all day, and we did some retrieves in the yard (she ran around and did bitey face with Penny also)

approx:
7:30pm~ Molly is outside sitting at the bottom of our steps, she is barking (which she doesn't usually do outside) and refuses to come up the stairs. I finally get her up with a lot of coaxing and some peanut butter on a spoon.

9:10pm~ Molly is laying in the kitchen fully awake and she yelps (it was very high pitched), I go in to see what's up and she is all freaked out. I get her to sit and I start to pet her gently, she yelps again when I pat her rear leg (the upper part...not quite her butt) and acts all freaked out. She acts fine after she calms down but is panting heavily.

9:40'ish~ I let her outside, she goes down the stairs fine but refuses to come up them. She was outside for a good 30 minutes just roaming the yard and would NOT come near the stairs. I tried to get her to come up the stairs, put a leash on her and started to walk and when she got near the stairs she yelped. We looked and there is nothing around.

10:05pm: I get her to come inside through the basement (she had to go DOWN the stairs), but now she will not come back up. I tried luring her, calling her, asking if she wanted a car ride but she will not come up the stairs :(

**I can touch the leg, move it around, and touch any other part of her body and she is fine, but she will NOT come up the stairs. What on earth could be wrong or could have happened to her?! She came upstairs to the second level of the house very slowly before she went outside, but is now avoiding going up all stairs inside and outside the house.

What can/should I do?

TIA!

See less See more
#5 ·
It's possible that she was stung by a bee. She is on Heartguard, and K9-Advantix (they are due to have it put on again next week), I can check her for ticks when I get her back inside.

She just yelped again when my mom touched her leg, but she did go up the stairs to go pee..now she won't come inside. She has done everything normally today (eating, potty, playing, you name it) up until around 7:30. We're going to take her into the vet tomorrow (or my parents will since I have to work).

I want to give her something, but I don't want it to mask her pain. Would 1 or 2 baby aspirin be ok to give? I called the ER vet but they had a trauma and it may be "quite some time" (as per the reception lady) before they can get back to me.

#9 ·
Yup she is walking fine, her color is fine, temp is fine. She also took a treat fine, and is tail wagging happy ol' Molly. She gets a bit "spooked" after her leg is touched though, but quickly comes back to her normal self. Nothing is swollen (that I can see) or feel.

I'm an absolute mess right now, I've never heard a dog make a noise like that before. It sounded like something off one of the animal cops shows :(

#12 ·
Maybe she tripped and hurt herself trying to go up the stairs and so is spooked about dealing them.

I am sure you have checked all over but might wanna look between her paws incase you haven't already. Maybe she stubbed a toe or something? Buck can be very dramatic about the smallest injuries but very brave with big ones.

Hope she feels better soon and it isn't anything serious.
Keepin' fingers and paws crossed!

#13 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone, I appreciate it and it's helped me calm down.

Melissa, I got 2 benadryl in her and I also got her to come up the front stairs with me. She's panting like a fool right now from her excursion trying to run away from my mom after she squeezed her leg. She is laying on her bed right now, so hopefully she will be alright for the night.

#16 ·
Could she have broken a nail and it is hanging on? Cinnamon did that and I thought she was dying the way she was acting. Granted she broke it really bad and I had to trim it shorter than I ever would have without the crack.

Hope Molly is OK please keep us posted.

#18 ·
So, I slept on the couch/living room floor last night since Molly cried at the bottom of the stairs waiting for me. She didn't yelp anymore, and I didn't touch her leg anymore. Checked between her toes, her pads, and her nails and all seemed fine. Everything else on her is fine except that back left leg. It took her a little while to get settled and lay down for the night, and she wouldn't get near my mom but other than those two things she was normal.

I have to be to work @ 6am, but my parents are taking her into the vet so I will hopefully have an update when I get off.

#22 ·
I hope it's nothing serious and she's feeling better by now. When Judy was crying out in pain a few months ago, she cried as she came up stairs and also when she tried to run. She cried out when the other dogs just brushed against her back end. Otherwise she seemed OK. The vet said that it's usually back trouble when they have pain going up steps. Rx = total rest and go from there if not better. She was 100% better after a week of rest.
I know how awful it is to hear them cry out in pain. I hope Molly is better soon.

#24 ·
Ruby had a group of similar symptoms last year. Wouldn't go in or out of the house. I could pick her up and move her outside, and she would be just fine. She had a little pain in her rear leg.

She spent 3 days at the vet, something was very wrong for my usually so boisterous and happy, self confident girl to refuse to do anything I asked.

After 3 days and 2000$, vet said, she may have been bit by something outside.

It took a good 3 weeks before she would go off the back porch. I brought her in and out the front yard mostly.

See if she'll go up and down a different porch.

Thinking good thoughts!

#25 ·
Stace, what you are describing sounds like Tucker last month. I called the vet and they suspected Lyme disease (since he's had it before) and put him on antibiotics right away, He was fine within hours. I hope your vet does a blood panel on her.

Pinched nerve sounds possible, too. Will check for an update! Prayers that it's nothing serious.
:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.