Just Labradors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Darby is currently in daycare 2 days a week, will probably go to 5 days a week in another month when I have to go back to work full time. She's only been in daycare since the beginning of February, at a Kindercare. Our neighbor recommended a home daycare to us, and we met the lady yesterday. We really liked her, but there are pros and cons to each place, and I was hoping that someone with kids could look over my pro/con list and give some advice or point out something that I might need to think about.

Current daycare
Pros
  • Can drop off or pick up any time from 6:30am to 6:30pm. Usually drop off around 8 or 9am, pick up anytime from 3 to 6, sometimes just leave her for 2 or 3 hours.
  • Lots of other little babies for her to play with
  • Have a “late night” once a month so parents can go out, costs $30 for 3 hours
  • There year round
Cons
  • Expensive - $165 for two days, $275 for five days
  • Big institutional facility, maybe not a lot of individual attention. Usually 6-8 babies and 2-3 workers.
  • She got bit by another baby already, but I don’t think it was malicious, more of a “mouthing”. No skin broken but a couple of teeth scrapes.

Recommended home daycare
Pros
  • Much less expensive - $80 for two days, $150 for five days
  • Loving home environment, 20 years as a licensed daycare. She watched my neighbor’s son and currently watches her grandchildren.
Cons
  • No backup when provider is sick or on vacation. We don’t have family really close to fill in, but MIL is about half an hour away (opposite direction from work). Would probably have to schedule our vacation at same time as hers and call in sick when she’s sick.
  • Three other kids there, none are her age. One is a year old – that age difference won’t be so big once she’s a little older. The other kids are 2 and 5. All are boys.
  • Strict drop off and pick up times and a shorter day (7 to 4:30). I'll be dropping off and Neil picking up. My schedule is very flexible so I’ll have to wake up early and Neil will have to leave work earlier than usual. At times, it could be a problem for him to get out of work by 4.
  • She’ll be driven around when one of the kids is dropped off and picked up from kindergarten.

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
One that kept me with expensive institutional day care was this - if one care giver is having a bad / crabby day, there are other care givers there too, so maybe the bad mood is not being inflicted/taken out on my child. Just an additional thought.

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
Well all situations are different but I always liked the small inhome daycare provider. It worked for us. We did have to make arrangements when she took off around the holidays or vacation though.

good luck.

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
I chose to go with a "regular" day care. Part of the reason was the sick thing. If someone is sick they just call someone else in. As for the child/care giver ratio there is a maximum number of kids that one care giver can be responsible for. Infants it's 4-1 and toddlers it's 8-1. This is mandated by the state. I personally love the school Makenna goes to. We paid $200 a week until she was potty trained and now it's $160. The extra 3 hours for late night is a lot to charge for 3 hours. Shop around and see what you find. Is the home day care licensed? Can you claim them on your taxes? A lot of home day cares are not licensed. Good luck with your decision. There are a lot of factors other than money to consider. I think $165 for 2 days is ridiculous.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I did the home thing when Connor was younger. It was nice price wise for us.
But other wise when lady was sick or her kids, or kids had a doctor apt. I had to make
other arrangements for Connor. It was to the point I was using all my vac time up at work and finally had enough. We put him in regular daycare and don't regret it.
To me a regular daycare is just more reliable, open most days except holidays.
The lady also didn't have very many kids and when we moved him, his speech and everything just took off. He's learning and talking so good is was all worth it for us.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Things to think about:

Do you like the people at the Kindercare and do you think they do a good job, not just in the room you're in but the room above too. How is their continuing education and their turnover rate? How's the tone of the center, are they focused on the children or do they sit and talk with each other?

Biting happens. It's part of a development stage and some are more enthusiastic than others, but you'll find it all over. Ha, just wait until it's yours that bites. :) I had one of each and see both sides of the issue.

Your child may not have any more focused attention in one place or the other.

Driving happens, you do it every day, but do you want to trust someone else to drive your infant around? Field trips don't usually start until 2 or 3 in commercial daycares.

It doesn't sound like either one is bad. What would be a no-go for me is the relative inflexibility of time the in-home provider offers. If you want to go for this type of place, look for another provider.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I prefer an inhome day care but that's just me. We've been extreamly lucky that ours is a good friend and she just has her two children (one is in full day kindergarden the other is 1/2 day preschool) and a few days a week she watched her neice 1/2 day who is 4 months older than Aubrey. She's also going to be watching her other neice but only for a few weeks. She does have to take Aubrey with her to drop off her kids at school and pick them up she also takes her with her to the store and her mom's but I know them so I don't mind (anyone else I wouldn't let them). Also it's SOOOOO much cheaper we pay $20/day (which is still cheap even for home care). My husband and I both have three weeks vacation and both offices are pretty flexible if we need a day off for her being sick we can take it.

Everybody's situation is different so it's hard to say what's right and wrong I'm sure they are both good choices. If you like the inhome see if she could keep her for a few weeks and see how it goes.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Just a thought is there mid-range option?

We found with my nephew that church based daycare was cheaper than the Kindercare/Sunrise pre-school for profit companies. Also found they hired mainly from within their church so they had know the daycare providers a long time and knew how they were around children.

It worked for us because of the 6AM to 6PM hours, cheaper than institutional daycare, they had older church/neighborhood "friends" that were screen and certified who would come in and have snuggle time with the pre-preschool age kids.

Now they didn't have Friday nights out but they did run 2 Saturdays during the Christmas shopping season so you could shop without your children.

My nephew stayed there through pre-school and elementary school because we felt he got excellent care and a good education. He is currently #7 in his class of 275 high school class.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I second the church based day care. My DD attends a church based day care and I am absolutely thrilled with it. I pay $740 a month and it is worth every dollar. They have strict provider/child ratios, the kids are separated by age groups, and they have an open door policy. DD started at 4 months old and she is now 13 months. She just made the transition from the Infant class to the Toddler class. I get a daily report detailing every diaper change, every nap time, meal time, and snack time.

I personally do not like in home care, but like Barbara said, every situation is different.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts