Just Labradors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the 4x4 hit Ernie he has be nervous, barking at cars and not wanting to walk where the woman hit him.This whole thing has put him back a year.Darn it.

I should have done something earlier, but I wanted his leg and hip healed first. Ideally I should see a behaviourist, but the vet bills and now extra Pentosan and Metacm I can't afford it.

Nervousness. He was like this when I got him. I suspect he had been hit by a car and this has bought it all back again. His owners called him their scardey cat. He has until recently been good. Now he jumps at everything.

Barking at cars. I have taken him to the mall and sat in the car telling him NO when he barks and good boy treat when he doesn't. I also walk him around the 4x4s getting used to them. Not sure I am doing the right thing.

I walk him when kids get out of school to get him used to kids so I can take him to the disabled school. He was going great and almost ready when she hit him.
He is fine until he gets to the area she hit him.Then tail goes down, starts dancing around and gets nervous. I turn and take him away. I thought he may have picked up from me. (I am still feel guilty and I am angry at her.). A friend walked him and same thing.

What would you do..,
1...take him to another area with a school, or keep going here.
2...gently encourage him or make him walk where he is nervous.

The incident the other day with her friend yelling at him hasn't helped.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Chris a little tip someone shared with me about hiding your nervousness. They told me to eat a breath mint...that dog smell our fear and nervousness and a mint helps hides that from them. Not sure if it's true or not but I did do it at our first dog shows.

Good luck with poor Erns. I would take it slow.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Bump

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
I would take him to a new area. I had a car accident several years ago and was injured when another driver rear ended me and that spot still bothers me. So I avoid it when possible so I would do the same with Ernie. When he is better and walking good on the new route gradually expose him to the old spot.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
walk him when kids get out of school to get him used to kids so I can take him to the disabled school. He was going great and almost ready when she hit him.
He is fine until he gets to the area she hit him.Then tail goes down, starts dancing around and gets nervous. I turn and take him away. I thought he may have picked up from me. (I am still feel guilty and I am angry at her.). A friend walked him and same thing.
I would actually continue to walk in that place rather than avoid it. As you say, Ernie is probably picking up negative vibes from you. Dogs detect nervous energy very easily. What I would do is go for a few walks alone without Ernie through that area. When you feel calm and relaxed walking through, then take Ernie. Listen to some quiet music as you are walking if it helps. Have Ernie at heel and give him some gentle praise. DON'T make a big fuss of him. Act like it is no big deal.

Barking at cars. I have taken him to the mall and sat in the car telling him NO when he barks and good boy treat when he doesn't. I also walk him around the 4x4s getting used to them. Not sure I am doing the right thing.
I think taking him to a mall to watch the cars is a step to soon. Try finding a quiet spot near a quiet road to sit with him. When he is comfortable 'car watching' on the quiet road, find a road that is a little busier. Bring a little pot of treats for good behavior but again, don't make a big fuss.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I totally agree with Rosie. I think this is something that he needs to be exposed to in mega doses to get over. Don't coddle him, he has nothing to fear. Maybe ten yards before you get to the site start running with him past the place that way he doesn't have time to think about it. Personally I know this is hard. About 15 years ago I was riding a bicycle and someone hit me from behind. For about a year I couldn't walk with traffic without the hair on the back of my neck standing up. But I got over it. Oona used to be afraid of puddles but after swimming every day weather permitting, she has gotten over her fear.
good luck and be patient.
Olie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts