Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I just went home for lunch Jake was making these weird hacking/choking sounds sort of like a cat trying to hack up a hairball. He did this for about 5 minutes or so. Last night he did the same thing for 5 minutes or so. Nothing seems to be coming up when he's doing this. Everything else seems normal - he's eating, drinking water, going to the bathroom and just as playful as usual.

Is this weird or a normal doggie thing? (I'm still new to this!)

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
It sounds as though he may have something stuck in his throat. Of course, I might be totally wrong but that was my first thought.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
I'd guess Kennel Cough.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Sounds like kennel cough to me too. Has he been boarded/at daycare lately?

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
If he keeps doing it - probably kennel cough. Skippy sounded like he had something stuck in his throat and was gagging and hacking to get it up when he had kennel cough. If it just happens after, or associated with eating, he might just be gobbling his food and then gagging a little afterward. Emilu often starts to gag on her training treats about 3/4 way through obedience class because she gobbles them down and starts to choke on them, espcically if she is a little nervous.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, he hasn't been boarded or at a daycare. He's not around other dogs very often. Last time was about two weeks ago.

Ok, I did a search on Kennel Cough and it does sound like that. I'm still worried it could be something stuck in his throat though....I don't know what to do... I guess just keep a close eye on him for now? I'm back at work now and don't get off for three more hours... ???

We were going to start an obedience training class tomorrow...maybe I need to call that off until we figure this out....

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Good idea not to take him to class tomorrow if he's still coughing... KC is very contagious. He may very well have been exposed to it a few weeks ago. When Henry had it, it sounded like he was choking, and then trying to cough something up, but couldn't. It's a distressing sound!! I was also told not to let him around other dogs until 2 weeks after his symptoms cleared.

Hope Jake is feeling better soon!! :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
ok I am new to this but our lab mix Maddy did this on and off and still does and I was worried so I took her in and they told me it is reflux. She does it more times than not after playing intensely and things of that nature. I figured it was my luck to have a kid with severe reflux and now end up with a dog with it too.....LOL.

Jenny

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
My first thought as I read Jake's symptoms was the beginnings of laryngeal paralysis. **** made those "hairball" sopunds off and on for a couple of years before he was diagnosed with LP. Being the head case he was, up until other symptoms showed up, we thought he was just weird, especially since giving him some Petromalt (hairball remedy) helped. Even the vet thought he was just being weird. We did notice, tho, that **** made those sounds more often when he was nervous.

I haven't had any experience with KC, so can't comment on that. Just wanted to throw out the idea that it could be something else. And, believe it or not, it could be a hairball, too.

·
Registered
292 Posts
i don't think its KC. one morning lola woke up hacking and coughing like she was going to throw up. i took her to the vet and he said nothing was wrong with her. he said that she might have just something stuck in hear throat thats bugging her and shes trying to get it out. and upon further investagation i had giving her a bone while she was sleeping and i guess she tore it up and she swalloded little pieces. i would just say keep and eye on him if it happens again tomorrow or it gets worse then take him to the vet

F

·
0 Posts
Does he do this, just after he has eat ???

If Laika eat's to quick she does the same thing ;)

What i did as a solution, so she cant eat that quick any more, is put one or two tennisballs in her through, and the problem was solved, she couldnt eat any more that quick, and the silly noice if she was choaking is over ;D

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
Could it have been more like a wheezing? I'm thinking maybe a reverse sneeze. Taffy does this - sometimes for no apparent reason, sometimes if she gets too close to cigarette smoke, or if there is a heavy chemical/cleanser smell. I try to let her out into fresh air and also firmly and slowly rub her chest from the neck all the way down and back again til it passes. I really don't know if it helps or not, but it does make me feel like I am doing something to help her and calm her.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
If it keeps happening, check for Kennel Cough.

Hudler makes a hacking noise every so often, like his throat gets dry or hair is stuck in it. We rarely give it a second thought, other than a quick eye to make sure he doesn't throw up.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
MicksMom - laryngeal paralysis....that sounds scary :-\

Felix - It's not really right after he eats. Both times it had been several hours since he ate. Plus I have him on a mostly raw diet.

Taffys Mom - Its not really like wheezing. More like he's trying to clear his throat.

[email protected]@@ - Was she still eating while that was stuck in her throat? I'm worried that could be it but Jake ate dinner last night fine and also breakfast this morning without trouble.

:( When he's doing it he looks so unhappy but once the spell has passed he's back to his crazy normal self.

Thanks so much to everyone! Thank goodness I get off work in 6 minutes. I'll update later...

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
KLM said:
MicksMom - laryngeal paralysis....that sounds scary :-\...
It's scary in the beginning, but not as bad as it sounds. Not to say it isn't serious, it is, but, like a lot of medical conditions, learning how to live with it and prevent episodes takes the a lot of "scare" away.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts