Just Labradors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help..... my puppy cries all night while in her crate. she wakes up every 2 hrs and doesnt always need to go to the bathroom. I try to ignore her and sometimes she settles down and sometimes she gets worse. if she does have to potty she goes right back in the crate but she'll cry for about 40 mins. then shes awake in another 2 hrs. But during the day she will sleep for a while without waking up.

Even during the day she cries. she cries while she eats, while she goes outside, while she walks around. I dont understand why she whines so much. My mom has her brother and my inlaws have her other brother and they both said their puppies sleep just fine. Is there something wrong with her?

I try to put her in her crate as much as possible, like when she falls asleep on the sofa I put her in her crate but she just screams her head off and I dont want to take her out while she is whining so I ignore her. Sometimes she calms down and sometimes not.

I have tried putting her crate in the living room, in the bedroom, covered, not covered you name it I have tried. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
How long has this been going on? Has she been cleared by the vet?

Some puppies are very vocal - she may be one of them. She could also have a medical issue - but I would think that you would see other symptoms - like lack of appetite or lack of energy or constant peeing.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I feel your pain and frustration - we had the same problem with our Aila when we first got her ... many sleepness nights on the kitchen floor. Unfortunately, persistence and perserverance are really the only things that will work.

My only question is could your crate be too big? We found out that the crate we were using was too bog as we were using a crate that we had purchased for our 12 year-old lab when we had to put her on a plane. So after many sleepless nights and praying our neigbhours wouldn't complain to our strata, I tried to make the crate smaller by taking two king-sized pillows, encasing them in a sheet and then wrapping an un-washed t-shirt of mine and my boyfriends on either ends of the pillow bundle and stuffing it in the crate. It sufficiently made the crate a lot smaller -- miraculously, Aila went into her crate that night and after only a few minutes of protesting, she quietly snuggled into the pillows and fell asleep. I still had to wake up every 2 - 3 hours to let her out, but she went back in with little protest each time.

Can't say this will work in your case, but even if your crate is the proper size, it may be worth it to stuff some piece of clothing in there so she can smell you and feel as if she's not "alone".

Good Luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for getting back to me. this ahs been going on for 3 nights. we have only had her for 4 nights. I called the vet and left a message im waiting for her to call me. I think tonight i will try making the crate smaller.

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
make the crate the best place for her to be... play games with the crate, tossing toys and treats in, feed her in the crate, etc. At first leave the door open, then shut it momentarily, then work up to longer times (ping pong it back and forth - sometimes a momentary close, sometimes longer, sometimes not shut at all). Let her go in on her own, no forcing or putting her in - most puppies will willingly follow a tossed treat.

You've only had her a few days, so part of this is likely due to the huge upset in her routine - from sleeping and playing with m om and littermates and the breeder's family, to a move to a new house, no littermates, and a box she's expected to sleep in all alone - she'll adjust. Having you close by will help - can you put the crate beside your bed, and drop your hand down for a comforting sniff?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Have you considered something, and that is not crating her? I have a 5month old and she has no idea what a crate is, she is well behaved and yes i have to pick up all that i do not want chewed up but don't we all have to do this with our labs? none of my previous labs were crated either. something to consider.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I think the 1st thing is to rule out any health issues. If the vet clears her then its just attention that shes seeking. Don't give her any type of attention when she does this. Trust me i know how it feels, it seems like they'll never stop... but they do =)

my two girls were the most vocal pups ive ever heard. My yellow lab was always a good girl since birth so we just decided to not crate her anymore. My black lab she screamed until she had no bark in her left. A few weeks later and she loved the crate. Never barks and whines.

these pups are smart, and if you give in to any whining even if its telling her to quiet down they'll take that as attention and just cry harded and longer the next time. The best way to extinguish this is to not say a peep. Do praise her when shes quiet.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Having you close by will help - can you put the crate beside your bed, and drop your hand down for a comforting sniff?
The first week I had Blaise home I kept him in a laundry basket next to my bed at night. When he stirred, I would lay my hand on his back and he settled quickly. I am a really light sleeper - so this worked OK for me.

After that we transitioned to the crate - and his complaining was minimal. I covered the crate when it was bedtime and he quickly learned what I expected - to the point that he would put himself to bed at 9:00pm after a couple of weeks of having a schedule.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
last night was a little better. Abbi slept till about 4am, pretty good considering she was waking up every hr almost. we went to the vet today and she said that there is nothing medically wrong with her, that she is just very vocal and is an attention hog.
Recently abbi has become very demanding. Does anyone kno how to adjust her miss priss attitude?

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
She's a baby, she needs to feel close to her new mommy which to her you are. Plus as you said, you've only had her for a short time. She needs time to adjust to her new family and surroundings. You can't expect a puppy to be quiet and independent right away - think of an infant. With time and love she'll adjust and become more independent and ready to explore. Plus as she is a puppy, you SHOULD watch and supervise her ALL the time that she's out of the crate - safter for your home, your family and her.
Good luck.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Recently abbi has become very demanding.
Recently? You've not had her for a full week yet, right?

While you need to constantly supervise and control your puppy's environment for safety reasons and to begin teaching her how to be a house dog - you also want to appreciate that she is a dog and not a child. I would not be responding to her every squeak.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
By demanding I mean bossy. She will literally sit in front of me and bark untill I pay attention to her. She constantly wants to be held which is fine by me but I'm afraid this will ruin her when she's big. Should I give into her or just ignore her when she demands my attention? I mean its not like I never play with her she's out playing all the time but the second I stop to just do something quick like tie my shoe she barks and growls and jumps to get my attention and thats not ok with me. I feel that she should learn to be independent sometimes but I'm not sure how to do that. Is that something you teach or is that something she will learn on her own?

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
By demanding I mean bossy. She will literally sit in front of me and bark untill I pay attention to her. She constantly wants to be held which is fine by me but I'm afraid this will ruin her when she's big. Should I give into her or just ignore her when she demands my attention? I mean its not like I never play with her she's out playing all the time but the second I stop to just do something quick like tie my shoe she barks and growls and jumps to get my attention and thats not ok with me. I feel that she should learn to be independent sometimes but I'm not sure how to do that. Is that something you teach or is that something she will learn on her own?
Nip this in the bud NOW or you will develop a behavior pattern that will take alot of work to change in the future.

IGNORE bossy/barky/jumping behavior (unless you chose to pick her up with no word and crate her). Do not scold, yell or touch the puppy when they are being bossy. When she is behaving THEN you pet and encourage. You are right, she will LEARN to be independant, if you show her. But this takes time, she IS a baby.

This is hard but the best way to do this is NEVER pay attention (good or bad) to a puppy that is not behaving (be it barking or jumping or other). Even if you scold them or say no this is attention, thus they got what they wanted. They should not be held, pet or talked to when they are being bossy. AS SOON as they are quiet/behaved, praise and pet.

This is a dog. yes you need to love and support it but do not mistake it for a human. I wouldn't hold/carry them unless necessary, say for stairs when they are young or to get them outside real quick to potty (though I can see cuddling on the couch and such UPON YOUR INVITATION - your decision NOT theirs) but that is just me.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I agree with you Tanya. I just brought my pup home last night and he spent the night (6 hours) howling. I ignored it as best I could but he had five poo accidents in his crate - probably from the stress. The breede'rs children held the pups a lot and that is all that Miles wants right now but I refuse to give him attention when he is jumping on me to be held. Right now he is asleep at my feet. I just wish he would be that quiet in his crate. Hopefully time will do the trick - sooner better than later.

Becky

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
When I was driving away from the breeder where I bought Puff (9 weeks old) she whined and hollered so much during the first 20 minutes of the 150 mile drive home, I seriously considered turning around and turning her in for another. But I tried swaddling her in a towel and keeping her in my lap and that quieted her down.

Then when we got home, I put a camping mattress on the floor and slept there with her cuddled beside me. Did that for 2-4 nights while also acclimating her to her small crate during the day.

Then at night when we switched to her crate, I propped up the small crate so it was at the level of and next to my bed, put a wind-up ticking alarm clock under her crate pads, put some of my unwashed socks and an unwashed T-shirt in there with her so she'd have my scent -- and she did fine.

You might try some of those props.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I agree with you Tanya. I just brought my pup home last night and he spent the night (6 hours) howling. I ignored it as best I could but he had five poo accidents in his crate - probably from the stress. The breede'rs children held the pups a lot and that is all that Miles wants right now but I refuse to give him attention when he is jumping on me to be held. Right now he is asleep at my feet. I just wish he would be that quiet in his crate. Hopefully time will do the trick - sooner better than later.

Becky
How often do you take your puppy out for potty? if you take them out every couple of hours then you know they are not crying because they need to go to the bathroom, at such a young age they can't hold it for that long. talk about sleepless nights, but at 5 months, our mady seems to b good now till the next morning. last stop at 11, then 6.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts