Just Labradors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some advice from all the experienced. Keegan is 9 weeks old and a real spitfire. Sedona is 2 years old and has been taking a lot of growling, biting, etc. from Keegan. The past two days she is just giving it back to her and at some point I have to step in and stop it. Keegan NEVER backs down. She is always biting and growling at Sedona. Yes I know labs play rough and this is how they learn each other, but OMG Keegan is like a snarly little machine. They don't just relax and lay together, which I know at some point that will happen. Sedona has been loving toward Keegan, licking her and almost mothering her, but the past two days :shocked:

Is this how it is and if so for how long? It never stops.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The older dog will generally put up with alot of crap before they strike out to say "enough". Its the job of the younger dog to push the limits. As with horses, I tend to allow them to sort it our themselves. If the puppy gets out of line, you can't make an impression they will understand..they are animals not kids..its up to the older dog to draw the line and she will. As far as listening to you, the puppy should be in training to sit, stay and come at your command. There is a chance that if the pup is disrespectful to the older dog , the pup might start that with you and now thats your job to draw THAT line. the pup might not be listening to the older dog..after all its a pup and just trying to play but when it comes to listening to you...thats a must even at 9 weeks.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
The older dog will generally put up with alot of crap before they strike out to say "enough". Its the job of the younger dog to push the limits. As with horses, I tend to allow them to sort it our themselves. If the puppy gets out of line, you can't make an impression they will understand..they are animals not kids..its up to the older dog to draw the line and she will. As far as listening to you, the puppy should be in training to sit, stay and come at your command. There is a chance that if the pup is disrespectful to the older dog , the pup might start that with you and now thats your job to draw THAT line. the pup might not be listening to the older dog..after all its a pup and just trying to play but when it comes to listening to you...thats a must even at 9 weeks.
+100000000%

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone. I noticed clapping my hands and saying enough works. Keegan 100% listens to me. Her training is going well. Sedona also listens to me very well. It actually is cold but blue skies today so I have the deck door open right now and they are going in and out playing. Her being very vocal doesn't bother me so much, it is the growling and snarly noise she makes when she gets out of control.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts