Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My babies aren't happy little campers at all :( All they've been doing is crying because they can't go to the bathroom, we've switch their formula to see if that will work, they were on Simalac Advance and now they're on Emfamil Lipil. I've started giving them Karo Syrup. I was told to give them prune juice, pear juice...we tried both of these and this was just causing gas and the runs. Then someone suggested trying Karo Syrup and that's what we're trying now...I'm at my wits end with my Pediatrician and I'm about to leave them becuase their no help at all, I called them yesterday and they never called me back. Does anyone have any advice on how to help me help these little babies go to the bathroom without getting gasy the way the juices were. So far my daughter seems to be pushing her poops out with the Karo Syrup, just wondering if anyone has any input. Thanks a bunch...I really miss you guys, but I can't seem to find time with them crying all the time to come on here :(

((((HUGS))))) to everyone

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Regina, did you try mixing the juice with water? Sometimes its a bit strong for them. I have tried the syrup. It does work and they dont need alot of it. Hang in there girl. Sorry about your current doctor.

·
Registered
10,636 Posts
They seem really young for Juice.
The Karo always worked for my three. We could even put it in the formula bottles.
Sometimes it would take a day or so. Don't mess around to long Regina. If you get no satifaction from the Karo or the Doctor....find someone else.
Good luck!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks :) Yep, I mixed it with the water, if I did 4 oz of juice, I'd add 4 oz of water to it. I'll keep trying the karo syrup and see what happens.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lisa, thanks...I'm planning on talking with my girlfriend tonight to find another Pediatritian, this one really doesn't seem to be helping me with the babies.

·
Registered
609 Posts
What type of formula are you giving? Liquid or powdered mixed. If you are on powdered switch them off for two reasons, one it causes constipation in some kids and two they are finding a link between powdered formula and meningitis as well as other infections.

Juices are good. I would also recommend a bottle of straight water or one with a little (and I mean little) drop of sugar. That is supposed to work.

My youngest had problems with constipation and used to push so hard he would spit up.

In worse case scenarios you can try a suppository but it should only be a quarter of a child sized one. Alternatively, taking the tip of your pinky, dipping it in vaseline, and inserting it into the anus will have them pooping almost instantly. Again, only use if absolutely necessary because people can develop a suppository problem where they can't have a bm without inserting one of those (at least that is what I heard and I never wanted to chance it) I had to do the pinky thing twice but I used a non-latex glove and vaseline because, well I found it yucky. It had instant results. :p

Good luck, congratulations and best wishes.

·
Registered
740 Posts
So sorry the babies are uncomfortable. It's so hard when they're not happy. How long are they going between bm's? It may be that they just go longer between stools, especially if they are formula fed. It takes a while for their little digestive systems to get used to eating and eliminating. My sons were both breastfed and sometimes would go a few days before finally exploding in their diapers. All I can say is hang in there and keep some Mylicon drops handy for gas.

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
IMO their juice needs to be watered more. I would say an once of juice at most. I don't give Makenna straight juice or even as much as you are giving. Good luck, I am happy to say we didn't have that problem. Hang in there. It's tough when when you have crying babies all the time. I would be crazy by now.

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
Becareful you do not give them too much water. I know it sounds silly, but infants aren't supposed to drink more than a few oz's of water a day. When I say few, I think if I remember correctly, it's like 2 or 3ozs.

Did you make the formula switch slowly?? Just like when you switch dog food, you need to mix it slowly so it doesn't upset their tummy.

Infant massage is wonderful when it comes to relieving gas and helping push poop out. If you can find a registered infant massage therapist in your area, they'll be able to show exactly how to massage their tummies to help them. You have move your hand in a certain direction, if you go in the wrong direction you can back them up even worse.

Me personally- I'd stop giving them juices and karo syrup. That's just too much for their little bellies. Water down their formula a bit more than the directions say and that might help. Also, laying in a nice warm bath sometimes helps relieve constipation.

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
Oh and another thought I just had- Take their legs together and bend them into their tummies. Very slowly and not too hard. But the pressure helps relieve gas. During our infant massage classes every baby tooted during that exercise. :) You can even rock them a little when their knees are up at their tummies.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
my daughter was born consipated. IMO stop with the juice- they are way to young to be given juice, second how often are they going to the washroom? Is it every few days, every other day. once a day??
Iron is what often constipates- look for a forumla with lower iron- if you have switch it does take time to work.
Massaga is AWESOME and works great.
and as aim said you need to switch forumla SLOWly and give it time.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh Regina! Big Hugs!
I'd be cautious of giving them any juice at all at such a young age.
Luke had the same problem when he was that age. The thing that did the trick for us was switching from powder formula to bottled formula. My doc said it is easier to digest.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Very good advice from Amy.
When my kids were constipated I would move their little legs like they were riding a bycycle.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
You could try a bath, massage their tummies, make them cycle like ride a bike type movement...
or 2-4 ounces of prune juice orrrrr...my Grandmother used to give a 1tsp of Karo syrup in the bottle when a baby was really constipated. I was leary of that one but did try it with mine and it DOES really work.

Poor babies...give them :-*'s for me.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone! I'm gonna try some of these things to see if I can get something to work. We're giving them the liquid formula, I told SU that I didn't want to give them powder, now I'm glad I never started it :)

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
Tundra Aries said:
Thanks :) Yep, I mixed it with the water, if I did 4 oz of juice, I'd add 4 oz of water to it. I'll keep trying the karo syrup and see what happens.
I remember doing this with my kiddos

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
Regina- you can still water down their formula with an oz of water or so. It makes it a little easier to digest. You can also do this when they have a cold and are very congested, it thins out the mucous caused by dairy.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Am so sorry you and your little ones are having a rough time. I remember when mine were little and when they were fussy it made mom fussy too - you want to help them feel better and sometimes nothing seems to work. The advice I have read here is all things I used when mine boys were babies. I agree that you should look for a new doctor; new moms need an office that is receptive to phone calls and returns them promptly. We used the Karo syurp routine in the formula trick and switched to a low iron formula with some help. Also the warm bath and gentle massage helped some (or at least made me feel like I was doing something to help them). My daughter-in-law swears by a natural product called "gripe" drops which helps with the gas they sometimes get. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
703 Posts
We have a 7 week old and found that Good Start Supreme with DHA and ARA works well. It has comfort proteins which are supposed to be easy on the stomach. Keep in mind, with any switch it could take a week to see a difference. They jsut came out with a new formula, like yesterday with another supplement that no other company offers (it has cultures that breastmilk contains).

Good Luck

1 - 20 of 37 Posts