Just Labradors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard FOUR separate sermons on the Easter miracle yesterday. Some were better than others, but this one, probably apocryphal but I didn't care, struck me as memorable.

Clergy must struggle with what to say on Easter Sunday. The pews are JAMMED with people who come only 1x or 2x a year. To launch into fire-and-brimstonism as a means of getting them back in the pews permanently is risky. Half will miss the point because you're not talking about 'them.' And half will shut down for feeling harshly judged.

So one of our celebrants took this tack: After setting the stage that Easter love and joy are present not only on the Sunday after Lent but also on EVERY Sunday of the year, he talked about a 5 y.o. child who approached him on the second Sunday of Easter and, after Mass, asked him pointedly: "Where'd they all go?"

"Where'd who all go?"

"All the people who crowded in here last week?"

And so he left the question out there for all the attendees: How are we to answer this prophetic little boy? Where will you be this time next week?

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
So he went with guilt huh? ;)

No seriously... that's a pretty gentle way of putting it.

eta. I like it (in case that wasn't apparent)

... /sigh... edited for spelling too

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
They all went back to their own home--they were just visiting for the Easter weekend.

Some people like to get all dressed up in their best Easter clothes and head to church--then out to eat in their Easter best at a local restaurant that is not surprisingly even more crowded than the church service was.

Just remember going to church isn't required for going to heaven. If going to church brings you closer to Christ than that is wonderful. For some of us the journey in finding Christ isn't nearly as difficult as finding the right church.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Dad of Toby said:
They all went back to their own home--they were just visiting for the Easter weekend.

Some people like to get all dressed up in their best Easter clothes and head to church--then out to eat in their Easter best at a local restaurant that is not surprisingly even more crowded than the church service was.

Just remember going to church isn't required for going to heaven. If going to church brings you closer to Christ than that is wonderful. For some of us the journey in finding Christ isn't nearly as difficult as finding the right church.
This is so true...for any religion!

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
They put the prior week's attendance in our bulletin each Sunday. I always look forward to seeing what it is for Easter and the service around Christmas.

Our service goes greet your neighbors, singing, communion, offering, sermon. Jason hates the singing so we make sure our butts are in the seats for communion but no earlier. Except yesterday, we actually got there 10 minutes early because we knew it would be packed. I think most of his family - they all attend the same church - parents, siblings... - about fell over when they saw us.

We have around 1700-1800 most Sundays. I bet we hit 3000 this weekend.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts