Just Labradors banner

Nature's Variety linked to Menu dog foods??

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Canyon Labradors 
#1 ·
Well, I just switched from Wellness to Nature's Variety...dogs have been doing great and really love the food. But- I just went on Nature's Variety website to see what they are saying about the food recalls and found out that Menu Foods makes their brand as well!! Is there a website that shows all of the brands that Menu Foods makes? I have a list of the recalled brands, but I would really like to stay away from Menu foods altogether. I thought I was giving my dogs a safe nutritoius food and it is made by the same company that makes the cheap stuff you can by at Walmart! Now I am really confused on what to feed them....great!!! Here is the link if anyone is interested to reading about this:

http://www.naturesvariety.com/news.lasso?-session=naturesvariety:A9FD041509d0f229ADtKqW16AA62

#3 ·
I don't know what you are reading... but what I read there is that they are not recalling anything and their products are safe. Where are you reading that they are not? I'm confused.

04-02-2007
Kibble & Canned Diet Update

Because we are passionate about pets, Nature’s Variety is deeply saddened by the recent can recall within the pet food industry. Our hearts go out to the families who suffered losses or illnesses. Please be assured that the entire line of Nature’s Variety nutritional products is safe and healthy for your pet to enjoy.

As a result of the can recall, some recent news reports have also questioned the sourcing and quality of ingredients used in kibble products. It has been reported that the suspect wheat gluten was sold to some dry products manufacturers. Please be assured that there is no wheat or wheat gluten used in any of our diets (kibble, cans, or raw). Furthermore, wheat gluten is NOT used anywhere within the kibble manufacturing facility.

All Nature’s Variety Raw Diets, Canned Diets, and Instinct Kibble Diets are entirely grain-free. Our Prairie Kibble Diets are made with whole, hearty grains (brown rice, barley, oatmeal, and millet) sourced only from the USA.

Nature’s Variety is dedicated to the health and well-being of your pet. We take pride in the superior ingredients in our nutritious diets. We believe better ingredients make better pet food, which means better overall health and happiness for your pet. With Nature’s Variety, you can be confident that you are providing wholesome nutrition to your cherished family member.

#4 ·
tangelo53 said:
Well, I just switched from Wellness to Nature's Variety...dogs have been doing great and really love the food. But- I just went on Nature's Variety website to see what they are saying about the food recalls and found out that Menu Foods makes their brand as well!! Is there a website that shows all of the brands that Menu Foods makes? I have a list of the recalled brands, but I would really like to stay away from Menu foods altogether. I thought I was giving my dogs a safe nutritoius food and it is made by the same company that makes the cheap stuff you can by at Walmart! Now I am really confused on what to feed them....great!!! Here is the link if anyone is interested to reading about this:

http://www.naturesvariety.com/news.lasso?-session=naturesvariety:A9FD041509d0f229ADtKqW16AA62
I'm confused, too. The link I see says the exact opposite of this.

#5 ·
My point is that Menu Foods is affiliated with Nature's Variety. I don't want ANYTHING to do with Menu Foods. Food recalls keep growing... it is ridiculous. Obviously Menu Foods does not believe in testing nor the safety of the pets they are providing food to...so my choice is to stay away! I included the link to show that YES, Menu Foods is affiliated with NV products. I have noticed a lot of others that said they wanted to stay away from Menu products...so this was a little information for those that feed NV to their pets.

I can't imagine what these pet owners are going through.

I just wanted to know if anyone knew of a link that showed what brands Menu Foods makes.

#6 ·
I don't know what you are reading... but what I read there is that they are not recalling anything and their products are safe. Where are you reading that they are not? I'm confused.

You are reading the wrong part of that page. This is what I was trying to send.

March 26, 2007

Dear Pet Caregivers:

Like you, we are saddened by the tragic losses many people have sustained resulting from the
recent situation involving Menu Foods.
As a pet owner myself, whose beloved English Setter, Elmo, died early last year from natural causes
after giving us 13 years of love and companionship, I can empathize with all those who have lost
their companion animals and who are concerned about the safety of the food they are feeding.
Nature’s Variety is fortunate that our canned pet foods were not involved in the recent recall. Some
consumers have expressed concerns, however, since our canned products are made by Menu
Foods
. As we have noted elsewhere:
• Our products are made to our formulations and ingredient specifications.
• They do not contain any wheat gluten or grain products of any kind.
• Finally, they are made on a separate production line from the cuts-and-gravy style products
involved in the recall.
The ultimate assurance I can give is that I have been feeding our canned dog food for months to our
wonderful, Pembroke Welsh Corgis, Grover and Izzie. I am confident in the safety of our products
and continue to feed them.
We are dedicated to providing healthy nutrition to dogs and cats. Please don’t hesitate to feed
Nature’s Variety canned pet foods and our other pet nutrition products to your cherished companion
animals.
Yours very truly,
Sanford M. Goodman
CEO
Grover Izzie

#7 ·
Yes but then they go on to say this:

As we have noted elsewhere:
• Our products are made to our formulations and ingredient specifications.
They do not contain any wheat gluten or grain products of any kind.
• Finally, they are made on a separate production line from the cuts-and-gravy style products
involved in the recall.

It is only the canned that is made by Menu, and I believe them when they say they are safe.

#8 ·
If you want to avoid potentially dangerous large-scale agribusiness, then you should only feed raw and fresh vegetables bought from locally owned small farms at your local farmer's market. Get to know the farmers and ask them lots of questions. Otherwise it is very difficult, if not impossible, to determine the source of all of your food. If the food isn't made by Menu, it's made by somebody else who could have ended up in this position. Not to excuse Menu if there was negligence involved (and it certainly seems like it would have to be)--just pointing out that this kind of large-scale contamination is a by-product of the current scale of agriculture.

As for Nature's Variety, I only feed the grain-free kibble, and I'm satisfied at this point by their response.

#9 ·
theoconbrio said:
If you want to avoid potentially dangerous large-scale agribusiness, then you should only feed raw and fresh vegetables bought from locally owned small farms at your local farmer's market. Get to know the farmers and ask them lots of questions. Otherwise it is very difficult, if not impossible, to determine the source of all of your food. If the food isn't made by Menu, it's made by somebody else who could have ended up in this position. Not to excuse Menu if there was negligence involved (and it certainly seems like it would have to be)--just pointing out that this kind of large-scale contamination is a by-product of the current scale of agriculture.

As for Nature's Variety, I only feed the grain-free kibble, and I'm satisfied at this point by their response.
I am just real upset with Menu and would rather stay away from their products. There are just WAY too many brand involved for this not to be a Menu issue.

#13 ·
There is way more to this problem than wheat gluten, the 'system' ensures a continent wide catastrophe. The margin obsessed cutthroat supermarket industry has forced manufacturers to source cheaper ingredients globally. Menu has been able to fill the need for cheaper ingredients that the manufacturers demand. Menu started getting reports of sick pets Feb. 22 and didn't begin the massive recall until march 16, and then slowly (it took almost a month) for more and more brands to be recalled. This is a huge problem as there are so many pet owners who thought they were feeding a safe healthy food but the reality is that the dog food industry needs major overhaulin IMO and i feel bad for all the pets and owners that have bought into the 'complete and balanced' healthy for life marketing gimmicks that the 'major' producers use.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.