Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This insomnia is making me crazy. Is there a "natural" sleep remedy that actually works? My friend at work just gave me some chamomile tea to try. I just don't see how tea will help me sleep, caffeine free or not.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Sex.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My husband said the same thing, Dan, and he knows that just makes me wide awake.

Nice try though.

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
Amy, try Celestial's Tension Tamer tea. It's supposed to help you relax, but it puts me to sleep. Sleepy Time just takes the edge off, tho. LOL

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
I bought some melatonin. It is over the counter and considered a dietary supplement. I take about 30 minutes before bedtime and it has helped me. If for some reason I still can't sleep then I take an ambien.

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Boring audiobook.
Sex... (yes I read your "that just makes me wake up more" post and so my response is... you're doing it wrong :p or rather... HE'S doing it wrong ;) )
Melatonin (has worked for me in the past)

Key is don't lie awake for more than 1/2 hr... get up... move around... go read a book or something... then come back and try again for another 1/2 hr.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
My husband said the same thing, Dan, and he knows that just makes me wide awake.

Nice try though.

Try a little calmer version. Put away the sling and the trampoline, nix the banana cream pies, and maybe give the goat a night off!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OMG Dan LOL!!!!!!!

yes I read your "that just makes me wake up more" post and so my response is... you're doing it wrong :p or rather... HE'S doing it wrong
Again, nice try. ;) That's not it at all, I've always been this way, it just gets me more energized.

No way will I take an ambien Linda! That's why I'm looking for all natural, that stuff scares me! "May cause sleep-walking or sleep-driving". Yea, no.
:)

Key is don't lie awake for more than 1/2 hr... get up... move around... go read a book or something... then come back and try again for another 1/2 hr.
Yea, good idea. The more I lie there the more frustrated I get.

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Yea, good idea. The more I lie there the more frustrated I get.
This is me. The longer it takes to fall asleep the more frustrated and stressed out I get. There are some nights (luckily they usually happen once every couple of months) where no matter what I do or try... I just cannot sleep.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have to turn the clock away too, or else I get realllllllllllly frustrated and upset.

I used to take my sisters Tylenol p.m. when I was a teen, that always worked. I'm scared to use that now too, though. :eek:

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I bought some melatonin. It is over the counter and considered a dietary supplement. I take about 30 minutes before bedtime and it has helped me. If for some reason I still can't sleep then I take an ambien.
I have used melatonin for years and I love it. I've found a time-release one, 5mg, that helps with the sleep apnea. :)

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Amy I can lend you my 10 year old...He will tell you minute by minute his fav TV show! That is sure to put you to sleep .... LOL I wish I had something to offer but I have a problem staying awake. Hope you have many sweet dreams tonight!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
You know what's the worst?! Having a husband who can fall asleep in a millisecond, anytime, anywhere. :mad:

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Melatonin and Valerian Root help me. One of each.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
My doc told me Melatonin has been linked to an increase in breast cancer, so I would be cautious if you have any family history.

Benadryl is the same ingredient in Tylenol PM that makes you sleepy, so if you don't have pain I would just take the benadryl and skip the tylenol part.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
I'm sure, as with anything else, you can find evidence for either side. But with the amount of people in my family that have died at a young age of cancer I try to be cautious. I also didn't check the age of those articles, so maybe they're newer studies.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts